Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum The Island of Arts

ART-lyness

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 08:17   #1
no....

ART-lyness

I've been a busy busy kid these past 2 semesters of college life, making art for my various classes, and i've decided that it'd be cool to have a thread just dedicated to various art. I've begun to get sick of having to do stuff for class, and i may start doing some gestural paintings with my left over paint... which i'll post here if i do, and i'll post my other paintings that i liked when i get them back (they're currently residing in the student art gallery, as placed there by my teacher)

Anyhoo, here are some things i've done:
Drawing Final, i think - This was one of my last drawings from my first year as an art student. It's really flat, the space just seems tooo, yeah, flat... and yet, there's just something about it that i love, i love my lines! they rocks. It's a vine and charcoal pencil drawing... with some accidental smears of red conte crayon, hehehe

My first good painting - always gotta have one, hehehe. My first 2 paintings ever were aweful, dark, muddy... overall sucky. But then i managed to make this painting. The first day painting it went horrible and i didn't want to go back to class to finish it, i thought it was dreadful, but something clicked the next class day and things just managed to work. I mean, it's no masterpeice, but I like it.

i guess that's it for now, give me your critiques! be brutal and post your own stuff!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:20   #2
Gimme some sugar!

awsome
http://www.nichya.net/thegurgi/painting.jpg

you stole my heart with this
Old 08-12-2004, 21:29   #3
no....

thanks Veggie! i'm very proud of that painting
Old 08-12-2004, 22:11   #4
kis$ it

Send a message via AIM to Lux Send a message via MSN to Lux Send a message via Yahoo to Lux Send a message via Skype™ to Lux
its very good. you have such talent. i like it alot.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Complete™ forever

I never thought it would be this clear | Lux [ light-ness@hotmail.com ]
Old 08-12-2004, 22:16   #5
Primetime Anchor

thegurgi, it's very good! You should continue giving your images artistic form. It's esthetically very well done. You don't only have a talent but have the right feeling and the right touch too.
My final verdict - super!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Olga | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ ritzer@hotmail.com ]

Latest News:
| Tatu gallery | Current News | News Archive
Old 09-12-2004, 02:41   #6
no....

thank you forre, but i don't know what you mean by
Quote:
Originally Posted by forre
You should continue giving your images artistic form
could you explain
Old 10-12-2004, 05:05   #7
in my brain

Send a message via ICQ to XSpex
Your first good painting is great, I like it a lot, I love the colors and shapes on it
Old 10-12-2004, 06:20   #8
no....

Ooo, thanks Xpex, i saw your pastel flower... it's REALLY great, i was surprised... you should post some more of your stuff here
Old 10-12-2004, 07:54   #9
Участник

Send a message via ICQ to nath Send a message via MSN to nath Send a message via Skype™ to nath
It's GOOOOD Greg! ...even if you may, may be, take care about the "shadows" (I mean about the perspective angle...some shadows are wrong...direction of the light...)...but indeed it isn't really important as it's a creation, so you're free to do as you feel....the colors are great...I truly like it !
Old 10-12-2004, 08:01   #10
no....

there were multiple lights on the still life, it was hard for me to get the shadows right... i'm sure they could be better... painting isn't my thing, and indeed in my final painting for class i'm being careful with my shadows to make them more apparent.

It wasn't really my idea for those colors, the reason the colors are great is because they are complimentary and thematic, while i was the one to do all the work, my professor edged me on, he told me to do the purple in the background (As opposed to the strange offwhiteness of the distant wall).... it's also very diagonally composed i'm just noting, the boat goes from top left to right. The bootle is the next stripe down to the pear, and then there's the purple diagonal of the wall. It's a classic greg composition, i usually have negative space in the upper right corner... why? i'll never know

Last edited by thegurgi; 10-12-2004 at 23:36.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:56   #11
we shout

I like the painting and the pencil drawing too. About the painting .. now I just read Nath's comment about shadows and lights ..so I agree with Nath ... even though I myself do not know where the shadows should fall .. but what if you have many lights came from many directions .. hmm.. .. but your painting looks neat and content .. urr.. fullfill .. I think ..

Negative space on the upper right conner... hmm . my lecturer during my multimedia class said that the space on the center, top right and top left are those the eyes most attracted too... but for myself I think its on the top right .. if you have it negative .. and you are putting most of the stuff on the bottom left .. then maybe your painting is telling something .. oh wait .. let me check my e-documentary page..

http://www.nichya.net/project/project3.jpg
there .. yup.. I have most of the stuff on the right .... either its something important or just dirts or distortions ..

http://www.nichya.net/project/project6.jpg
but on this one .. I could put the center TATU logo on the center of the text .. but I put it on the left .. and let the empty blank space on the top right .. it just seems right to my eyes ..

And no .. I am not stealing your thunder again here .. LOL!!
~~~~~~~~~~~
I will forget my dreams
Nothing is what it seems
I will effect you
I will protect you
From all the crazy schemes

You traded in your wings
For everything freedom brings

You never left me
You never let me
See what this feeling means

Last edited by denial; 11-12-2004 at 06:16.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:37   #12
no....

no no good Fadzila...

after discussing my painting with a few others who painted the still life, they disagree with you about the lights... Many of theirs have the same lighting and think mine is a good representation...

I'll explain, there was a soft light from the top, one hitting it from the behind kind of far off, The frontal light was hitting it at an angle... most of the light hit the boat and the inside of the pot, and some reflected light hit the bottle. In my defense, the light isn't represented, i took this as a photograph, and even though i turned the flash off, the flicker reflected in the painting (Oils, what are ya gonna do?)

My picture achieves gestalt because of the complimentary colors... you notice the whole before the separate parts... at least i hope! heheh

D, i want to see the whole of your presentation...
Old 11-12-2004, 06:46   #13
we shout

oh okay ..

I'll give you a copy of my e-documentary! but of course.. even if you didn't ask ..I already planned to send one to you ..
~~~~~~~~~~~
I will forget my dreams
Nothing is what it seems
I will effect you
I will protect you

You traded in your wings

You never left me
You never let me
Old 11-12-2004, 07:37   #14
Bitchka

I cant believe Im actually posting, but for the sake of art.....

Greg, good job!

few fast comments:

1. Is this a photo of your painting? Its laying on the floor and youre taking a pic? pleeeeease, that brown stuff is KILLING me! takes away from your complimentary colors as well. Alos, its croooked ... .and not that i am a 'str8' (ha ha, funny) type of person ... it just looks like a mistake, and I just want to reach over and rotate it!

2. About the same one - why are you so caught up on the orientation? I used to have a professor who also was an artist in addition to architect (painted). He thought me to take a drawing and flip it around and look at it from different persepectives.... try that! It would be the middle of my critique and he would get up .. walk towards me... unpin my drawings and rotate them... pin them again (rotated)... sit back down, and say: "Hmmm, yeah! How about like that?" ..

3. Still the same drawing - I really like the boat. The other parts are still a bit too flat, esp. that green object.

4. The first drawing - so you've started putting some color on it (maybe without intention). And you talk its too flat. If I were you I would continue working on it - putting more color in - and then it will definatelly not be flat anymore. I dont see it as a very colorful drawing though. If I were to do it, Id use different shades of only one color....maybe that red you've already put on it. I can go on into a whole discussion of why I think that - but just think of it as a process, your previoius action just influenced the one thats about to come, etc - excuse me, I am a very process oriented person when it comes to creation and design. Sure you need some randomness as well, but that has alreay occured (your accidental smears) ...

Anyways, its a great start

Since you said put your own, and since I am currently working on my portfolio.... and I am just SO excited I actuallyfound 4 originals that I thought I had lost!

Here is an old old sketch, from the begining of my first semester in second year. Of course, I am not an art student, but similar (art-e-tecture )

Fast sketch of 'Willy'

Basically, the first 2 years art-e-tecture students do a bunch of artsy-fartsy projects, that have little to do with actual architecture .... in fact some people go through all the art-e-tecture years doing artsy-fartsy things .... I certainly enjoy doing that

Btw, here is what the actual 'Willy' looks like - of course thats the other side of it...
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:38   #15
no....

yer right, at my school we focus SO much on Orientation... and everyone is so gung ho about negative space! I love it, but everyone thinks it such a bad thing. Not the teachers, but the kids are so uptight about it, if theres any negative space they bring it up in the critiques...

In 2-D, she was really big about rotation, but... she was such an aweful teacher, who made no sense, helped me in no way and even blatantly ignored me ... that advise just didn't penetrate me.

Architecture is such a strange thing to me, it fascinates me and my drawing teacher really liked to talk to us about creating space in our drawings and really thinking about the architecture of things, he even made us go outside and draw a building on campus (mine of this project looked like a cartoon! hehe).... but i. i dunno what i'm going for.... hehe

oh, yes... you are correct, that is my carpet... and it is not straight. I later mounted my painting on black illustration board and hung it up non croooked... (i have no clue how to spell that)

no color on the drawing... it's not supposed to
Old 11-12-2004, 09:03   #16
Bitchka

Ok, my thought after reading your response is:
1. loosen up
2. explore

The reason I said those things are: seems like you have it all figured out and youre so rigid. 'Its not supposed to' - who said that? your teacher? well, the semester is over ... dont get me wrong, you can do whatever you want, Im just givning you an opinioin based on what im reading - words and visually.
I dont have it all figured out either, Im just giving you thoughts based on my experience. Once again, feel free to do whatever you want, but without imagination and exploration in art ...

About your negative space - I hope you made the connection that architecture is about making the negative space well... technically speaking, because architecture is much more than just 'making a building' .... and here i stop, or i will keep going and going and gooooooing about what is architecture.

p.s. and remember - every little thing you do should have 'visual' in mine (that in regard to your carpet).... it totally altered the way we perceived your drawing.
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 11-12-2004, 11:09   #17
no....

sorry cools, i didn't realise such artly peeps would even think of the carpet in such a way... hehehe

also, i am loose... so is my prof, it's the other students who are tight apes.... and it's rubbing off on me! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:15   #18
we shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasfcuk
Ok, my thought after reading your response is:
1. loosen up
2. explore

The reason I said those things are: seems like you have it all figured out and youre so rigid. 'Its not supposed to' - who said that? your teacher? well, the semester is over ... dont get me wrong, you can do whatever you want, Im just givning you an opinioin based on what im reading - words and visually.
I dont have it all figured out either, Im just giving you thoughts based on my experience. Once again, feel free to do whatever you want, but without imagination and exploration in art ...
yeah!! I agree with cools! at Greg

Quote:
About your negative space - I hope you made the connection that architecture is about making the negative space well... technically speaking, because architecture is much more than just 'making a building' .... and here i stop, or i will keep going and going and gooooooing about what is architecture.
oh no!! dont stop!! we can have art class here too!! I think I have special interest in that "negative space" now! what is it? tell more! please ..I'm begging....

Quote:
p.s. and remember - every little thing you do should have 'visual' in mine (that in regard to your carpet).... it totally altered the way we perceived your drawing.
..tries to imagine....
~~~~~~~~~~~
I will forget my dreams
Nothing is what it seems
I will effect you
I will protect you

You traded in your wings

You never left me
You never let me
Old 11-12-2004, 12:48   #19
Primetime Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurgi
thank you forre, but i don't know what you mean by
could you explain
The images of the mind where the real things used in the painting are placed as if the whole picture was cut not to give any clear image but to develop the personal view of the audience.
The shadows - the paintings are two-dimentional. If to place more shadoes, the images will be more "closed". Me - I like that sort of imperfection.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Olga | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ ritzer@hotmail.com ]

Latest News:
| Tatu gallery | Current News | News Archive
Old 11-12-2004, 14:52   #20
we shout

wo! Forre *is* sexy!
~~~~~~~~~~~
I will forget my dreams
Nothing is what it seems
I will effect you
I will protect you