New Lesbian Comic Book Superhero

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:11   #1
The Dream is Over, :~(

New Lesbian Comic Book Superhero

Meet Batwoman.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?...
WTF, there's a Bat woman now?!!!

Anyhoo, created in the 50's and killed off in the 70's she along with others are DC comics' attempt at reviving no longer published superheroes to reflect a more diverse society. I'm glad they included this in articles, because I got the feeling that this was a cheap way to rejuvenate interest among drooling fanboys and comicbook geeks (no offense to any that may be here). It probably still is, though.

In any case, this will complete the trifecta of comicbook gayness featured in the Batman series.

Article is here.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:05   #2
Yulia's Little Secret

Why shouldn't there be a Batwoman? Why should men get all the glory when they're not even deserving of it

Anyway.. I don't read comic books, so I'll just wait for a hopefully HOT movie
~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm Yulia's Little Secret

My t.A.T.u. Photo's | MySpace | Xanga
Old 02-06-2006, 11:15   #3
pie crust

I'm so dumb, I thought there already was a batwoman...
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]
Old 02-06-2006, 11:41   #4
Yulia's Little Secret

According to the article, the original Batwoman was killed.. So I guess this is the new Batwoman? Reincarnated
~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm Yulia's Little Secret

My t.A.T.u. Photo's | MySpace | Xanga
Old 02-06-2006, 12:38   #5
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Why does she has to be lesbian? Or for that matter why do some one them need to be reinvented as asian or black? Who cares what ethnicity or sexuality my designated superhero is... as long as they save the day it's all good.

I doubt many people these days find their idols in superheros like they did in the 50s and 60s anyway.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 02-06-2006, 13:16   #6
iMod

Quote:
Others include Mexican teenager Blue Beetle - who replaces the character's previous white incarnation
And since when are Mexicans not white? I know it's a common attitude in North America to consider anyone who's not of pure Germanic descent 'non-white', but seeing that kind of rubbish on a BBC website is rather outrageous.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]
Old 02-06-2006, 17:36   #7

haku, I think they were refering to Mestizos. It's not a question of assuming everything south of Germany as non-white, it's just seeing Mexicans and Mestizos as being one and the same, which is stupid I admit because Mexicans and all Hispanics for that matter can include any race. But considering the fact that Mexico is mostly Mestizo and practically built its cultural identity during the revolution on being Mestizo it isn't really that far off a portrayal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie
Why does she has to be lesbian? Or for that matter why do some one them need to be reinvented as asian or black? Who cares what ethnicity or sexuality my designated superhero is... as long as they save the day it's all good.
There are implications in only having white straight people saving the day; either helping defenseless minorities or just simply beating up minorties. It's a good idea but kind of ten years too late, but better late than never I guess.
Old 02-06-2006, 18:22   #8
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl
haku, I think they were refering to Mestizos. It's not a question of assuming everything south of Germany as non-white, it's just seeing Mexicans and Mestizos as being one and the same, which is stupid I admit because Mexicans and all Hispanics for that matter can include any race. But considering the fact that Mexico is mostly Mestizo and practically built its cultural identity during the revolution on being Mestizo it isn't really that far off a portrayal.
Ok, it's just that i'm constantly baffled by what kind of people are considered 'non-white' in American shows… like Hispanic people, but i've also seen recently in 2 different American shows people of Italian descent being considered 'non-white' and i was like wtf?!!
That plus the fact that many Southern Europeans have been mistaken for 'Arabs' by US customs in the past years and asked to leave planes for example because they were making the 'white' passengers nervous has led me to believe that a warped notion of what is a 'white' person is now widespread in North America (not to mention that Arab people are actually white too anyway, as incredible as it may seem to US customs and Hollywood).
It's like anything that originates from the South of the Alps is non-white, a revival of the Nordic-only white race… People over there should be reminded that it's the Sahara which is the geographical limit between white and black people, not the Alps.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]

Last edited by haku; 02-06-2006 at 18:37.
Old 02-06-2006, 20:39   #9
Обезьянки / Null & Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anouk
According to the article, the original Batwoman was killed.. So I guess this is the new Batwoman? Reincarnated
maybe she was brought to life just like catwoman was..,,,,. bat kisses??? ,,,,,
this site also contains an article about batman gay poses,,,,,,, so we're messing with classic heros aren't we??? ha ha ,,,, I wonder if someday i'll see a gay Hulk,,,,, will it still be green?.
Old 02-06-2006, 21:05   #10

Isn't catwoman bisexual?
I always though she was.

And really Batman is gay, this is widely understood. Him and Robin.

Offtop:
The word "white", on this side of the Atlantic or Pacific, traditionally implies class as well as race. Newly landed European immigrants during the the 1900s were not considered white. Irish, Italians, Russians, Polish, etc. all not considered white at that time. Now they are white as they have enter the upper class of American society. Jews are also considered white now seeing as they have also entered the upper class. Hispanics have too though to a much lesser degree.

But it isn't so much of being wealthy. IMHO, I think whiteness in America denotes a erasure of any other culture outside that of the upperclass (that being traditionally British). So there has been some backlash to it. Italian Americans create their own segregated communities to retain their culture. Though they would probably identify with being white if necessary (like on a survey), they would often separate themselves from white people in general conversation.

Obviously, there's a flipside to this backlash. Black people trying to succeed in school or in their careers are seen as "acting white" by their peers, which is a huge insult. Because white is synonymous to upperclass, black therefore is synoynmous to lowerclass. So Black people stay lowerclass to retain their culture (which is futile in itself because it'll only find it's way into pop culture). To make things more complicated, there is a backlash to this backlash.

It isn't just with whiteness either. Apparently I have heard, heard that there are some Black people in the States that don't consider East Africans to be black, but it has only been grumblings really. Just like White people, Black people too can look different from one another.

All this is pretty much limited to the States. In Canada, the divide has always been between French and English. Before Trudeau arrived, French Canadians were forced to "speak white," speak English, that is. This runs consistent with the notion that WASP = Upperclass. The whole white/black thing doesn't apply here because most Black people in Canada came here as immigrants at the same time (around the 80's) as other immigrants from Asia, Europe, S. America, etc. Before then, the only Black people in Canada were the ones from Halifax, they're descendants of American slaves that escaped.

To tell you the truth though, I think the whole talk of race is pointless seeing as that race is a social construct. Race is fluid. Lock up the borders of Canada now, let nobody in or out, and fast forward to 2000 years from now and you'll have a brand new race right here.

In any case, racial politics is a really, really, really complicated issue.
Old 02-06-2006, 21:10   #11
Обезьянки / Null & Void

mmmm,,,, is he ?, really,?,, that's not official at least., They live together, at the same house, share these adventures, but that's all i guess, maybe it'd be nice to see another version,,,, decoding batman,,,,, just like they did with those cowboys. Maybe a drama. i'm not kiding, that'd be really scandalicious. Maybe more than the Da vinci Code. kids spend playing with batman toys more than the hours they pray.
Old 02-06-2006, 21:47   #12

Quote:
maybe it'd be nice to see another version,,,, decoding batman,,,,, just like they did with those cowboys
Seek and you shall find!
Old 02-06-2006, 23:40   #13
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl
Offtop:
LMAO That's freaking fabulous.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 03-06-2006, 23:31   #14
Обезьянки / Null & Void

Offtop:
*right now I can't watch it*,,, so many kids surrounding me here,,,, but thanks,,,

So everybody thinks batman is gay?,,,He's just a comic character, I mean, the writer made him straight and even if he (don't know if he's still alive) said that he meant Batman to be gay everybody would still see him as a straight ncharacter, 'cause his been defined like that.

I read this article a long time ago.. about this guy playing a gay Jesus at the theater... I guess most of you knew it

Quote:
H. Christ!
Corpus Christi takes the principle of artistic expression in vain.
By Jacob Weisberg
Posted Saturday, Oct. 10, 1998, at 3:30 AM ET

The most electric moments in Corpus Christi, Terrence McNally's play about a gay Jesus, come when you arrive at the theater. Across the street, Catholic protestors in white berets recite Hail Marys into a megaphone. If you approach the police barricade that pens them in, they ply you with leaflets charging that the play portrays "the Blessed Virgin screaming obscenely to St. Joseph for sexual relations" (sadly, it doesn't). Thanks to the controversy, the entire run at the 299 seat Manhattan Theatre Club is sold out. Should you manage to lay hands on a ticket, you have to run a gauntlet of burly security guards and pass through an airport metal detector to get to your seat.

The experience is disorienting--part First Amendment vigil, part X-rated movie. Corpus Christi became instantaneously notorious in May, when the New York Post revealed that it depicted a Jesus who has sex with his apostles. After receiving telephone calls threatening violence, the Manhattan Theatre Club canceled the production. But the play was reinstated a week later amid protests from nearly every important dramatist in America and many elsewhere. Since restoring the play, the Manhattan Theatre Club has been congratulating itself on its fearless defense of free expression.
Read here the whole article
ReplyPost New Thread