Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Anyone think a guy version of tatu could ever be popular?

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 20-04-2003, 10:08   #1
It's getting dark in here

Anyone think a guy version of tatu could ever be popular?

I'd love to see a guy version of tatu, but i know how this world is and how they think lesbians sexy, gays nasty! I just wanted to see your thoughts on this, so please reply and share your opinons.
Old 20-04-2003, 10:12   #2
To Be Free?

theres this guy group, although theyre not 'with' eachother. i think their name is marilyn's boys or something. maybe you'll find something if u search in yahoo.
Old 20-04-2003, 10:13   #3

Yeah i already know about them, but thanks anyways.
Old 20-04-2003, 10:19   #4
Участник

Sad as this is, I think they would have a harder time getting accepted. As you said, lesbians are often perceived as sexy (when they conform to certain "standards", that is), whereas gay guys often seem to provoke angry reactions (especially in guys). I personally think it would be interesting to see a band like that.

I remember something Lena said in the Bulgaria video regarding the Malchik-Gei kissing contest:
Quote:
When it's between girls, they [the audience] protest without a ruckus, but when it starts between... yes... what is this. I don't know why it's such a drastic reaction towards guys when they like each other. I think that it's absolutely wrong, and... girls and guys, they're actually equal. So when these divisions are made, that girls can but guys can't, it's just generally immoral. (Translation by yul)
My opinion: A guy version of t.A.T.u. would probably not be as easily accepted as the girl version. Maybe someone has the courage to do it some day.

Interesting question, markafterdark !

xena225
Old 20-04-2003, 10:44   #5
ex-sunnich

Send a message via ICQ to la aurora Send a message via MSN to la aurora
hahaha... when shapovalov decided to create a band he came to neposedi and asked if girls wanna come through the casting. but as the director of neposedi said, nobody knew what kind of group he was going to create and that he wanted 2 guys also for another band. who knows, may be if he were more lucky...
If be serious, it's tsrange but a day or two ago i was just listenning to the song "belle" wich is sang by Smash. And this is what i thought suddenly: 2 cute guys (one is black-haired, very slim and sexy; second colors his hair white), one is energetic, second more calm; one is an actor (he plays Romeo on the stage of Pushkinsky theather), second studies economy or something like that. And they both have very high voices. Doesn't it all remind u anything? I just realized that they could sing all these "NND" and "HSIN" without any problem. Well, if "TA TY" why not "TOT TOGO" then?
Old 20-04-2003, 12:48   #6
a kind of fresh madness

There's no way a gay male pop group would work. Gay guys might like 'em but I doubt the appeal would reach any further than that. It's sad but true - there's definately a double-standard there.
Whether they admit it or not, everyone - male/female/gay/straight - is intruiged, and most likely turned-on, by the idea of two women 'together'. Whereas the idea of two guys 'together' turns most people's stomachs.
It's not even necassarily a homophobic reaction. I'm a gay woman so there's no way anyone could accuse me of homophobia, but I don't even wanna think about two men doing it cos I just don't think it's sexy. Straight women will tell you the same thing and straight guys will just give you their usual "Urgh!! That's sick! Blah blah blah..." reaction.
So if there were to be a male version of tATu I think it would be very, very difficult for people to get past their image and their own feelings about the bands image before they even considered getting into the music.
It's sad but there's no way it'd work.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
or is it just to humour us before we die?
Old 20-04-2003, 13:55   #7
Участник

Hmmmmm....I doubt that we are at a point where a group like that would work, and certainly not to the level that t.A.T.u has.

But it would have a far *better* chance of working if they pushed the romance between the couple rather than their sex lives. In my opinion, anyhow.

Parrish
Old 20-04-2003, 15:05   #8
Участник

hey

No, I don't think a guy version would be as popular. Sure, they would get some attention but, most people don't want to see it. Gay guys just aren't as appealing to the mainstream population as lesbians are. Lesbians are sexier to most people.
Old 20-04-2003, 15:06   #9
Участник

Two gay guys?
Might not be as popular as Tatu, but actually it might work.
Weird thing is, I know a lot of straight girls from the net and in real life that thinks two guys together are hot.
In Japan, there are tons of comics and animes about that kinda gay relationship and girls love them. It sells.

Downside is...
it doesn't sell to straight guys as much as Tatu sells to straight girls.
Old 20-04-2003, 17:00   #10
ROCK FOR LIGHT

I know its pretty sad, but

no.
~~~~~~~~~~~
as sick as i am, i would never be you
Old 20-04-2003, 17:50   #11
pie crust

No i dont really think it would work.. as someone said, girls are more "sexy" when together, other than boys.
Lena and Yulia are small and innocent girls who just want to be together.. and guys just dont really fit into that "Image" (oh no theres that word again!!! x_x)
I think alot of people would be "disgusted", as sad as it is. Since most people would think it's weird and not pleasing at all, who would buy the records? Maybe gay guys.. I think its so sad, but no.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]
Old 20-04-2003, 18:48   #12
Primetime Anchor

With enough of good music material and proper promotion it can work. Why not! Two cute guys who will be immediately adored by both ladies and gentlemen. Then if it will cause controversy? Sure. With enough accent on the male sexuality it will cause scandals.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Olga | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ ritzer@hotmail.com ]

Latest News:
| Tatu gallery | Current News | News Archive

Last edited by forre; 20-04-2003 at 19:22.
Old 20-04-2003, 18:59   #13
The Dream is Over, :~(

That is a very good question...

I personally think it has already been done before though with the Backstreet Boys and N*SYNC.

Oh right, the kissing!
Well it isn't conventional, yes, but you can't say that the only people who will appreciate a Gay boy band are gay men and boys.

I'm straight, and I freaking love Gay men. I love watching male homoeroticism on the screen, that is the very reason why I Smallville and Queer As Folk.
And it just isn't me, a lot of straight women also love watching gay men, that is why actors like Ewan M(a)cGregor are gaining popularity here in North America. (He's not Gay, but he has plenty of Gay roles in his resumй.)

As for gay women, well I don't know. But they have never been a target demographic.

Straight men have never been a target for mass marketing, really. They are the least marketable demographic, and if you don't believe me check out everything around you.
N*SYNC, Avril, Will & Grace, Chicago, etc...
Are those marketable to straight men?
Hell no!

I think a Gay boy group is very, very marketable.
Now if you're going to have a marketable Gay boy band you have to incorporate the most stereotypical Gay traits into the band. These traits can apply to women; like complaining about boys, going shopping, having a sense of style, etc...
Instead girls wanting to become the girlfriend of some typical boy band member, girls can dream of becoming the best friend of a Gay boy band member!

And that's only image!
Their performances can be like a freaking Broadway show! Complete with cross dressing, and lots of sparkles and glitter!!!

The interviews could be awsome too.
They could have this dry witty humour in each of their interviews, or have this "Go girlfriend!" attitude...

Who wouldn't want that?!
I want it!
Damnit!
I want a Gay boy band right now!!!

I want the name of my Gay boy band to be "Gay, Gay, Gay!!!"

Edited: because I can.

Last edited by PowerPuff Grrl; 20-04-2003 at 23:53.
Old 20-04-2003, 19:42   #14
Your Distraction

Send a message via ICQ to Ripptyd Send a message via AIM to Ripptyd Send a message via MSN to Ripptyd Send a message via Yahoo to Ripptyd
I'd LOVE to see that type of thing.
*grins, thinking of possibilities*
~~~~~~~~~~~
Still, you bolded all your best words, so they'd have something to wrap their mouths around
---
I'll still say your name to fall asleep
A cynic saying rosary; a liar in his make believe

|| livejournal || myspace || facebook me || son fic || website ||
Old 20-04-2003, 19:51   #15
Прохожий

Hmmm...

As far as I'm aware there already have been several gay bands already... People like the Village People (that YMCA song) and that song I think is one of the most well known of all time... Everyone knows it and that silly dance that goes with it. There are others I'm sure but I don't remember which ones (this stuff is before my time) but I'm not sure if there'd be *such* an adverse reaction...
Old 20-04-2003, 22:40   #16
Bitchka

Hmmm, yes this question has crossed my mind too- LoL, I even thought I should be Ivan, Elena #2 and make my own group- like Tatu but with guys. I thought 'my' group could open for Tatu I am just waiting to win the lottery so I can do it..
Of course, first reaction is- that it wont work because Gay women appeal to a lot more people than Gay men. But, I think if it is done just right, it could still be very successful. forre already covered a lot of very good points about that. With strong music and image material, and the right marketing- you just watch. Of course there would be scanal and contraversy, but havent we seen already- people like that. So, it all comes down to presenting the right material, and most importantly how that material is presented.... but I couldn't tell you all my thoughts, , you will just have to wait and see my group one day... unless someone beats me to it...
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 20-04-2003, 23:08   #17

I also would love to see it! It would be just as good in my opinion..

However I do think it wouldn't be as popular.. You were right. A lot of people take t.A.T.u. as just "sexual" and they think "lesbians are hot!"
A lot less think that "gays are hot"..
Old 20-04-2003, 23:13   #18
Bitchka

goku, I think gay guys are hot. right now a lot of people don't, but lets hope... that soon things will change
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 21-04-2003, 01:03   #19

Gay guy's are hot as hell! But i might be a lil bit biased, sence i'm gay myself. I do hope one day though that this world changes their views on gay men, cause there is nothing wrong with us, were just as cool as those lesbian girls. About the thing that girls don't like 2 guys, well i know alot of girls that are rather intrigued by 2 gay guys, i do know that alot of people feel disgust towards gay men, but thats their issues and they just need to get over it. I don't even know why there would be controversey over 2 gay guys singing about love. The way i feel, love is love and it doesn't matter who you love, aslong as you love eachother and it feels right.
Old 21-04-2003, 01:07   #20
Участник

Since Tatu is so popular, you would think a guy version would be equally acceptable, but I don't think the world's ready for that one.
ReplyPost New Thread