Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

MP3 tags in cyrillic?

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 27-06-2003, 20:43   #1
Участник

MP3 tags in cyrillic?

I'm using Windows 2000 Pro with cyrillic fonts and keyboad layout installed. The operating system, and MS-Office all seem to handle cyrillic fine, both file names, and content.

With the excpetion of Winamp3, I haven't found an MP3 player that displays cyrillic tag information, and that won't let you edit the tags. How do you cyrillic users handle mp3 file names and tags? What Mp3 player? Whcih tag editor? Just convert it all to latin alphabet?
Old 19-07-2003, 10:41   #2
t.A.T.u. Music Lover :)

Send a message via AIM to raven ryuu
hey...that's a good question

I've never thought about asking though, because I had no clue what they were called (tags). I'm using musicmatch jukebox 7 for all of my mp3 files, and it ends up showing as jibberish...I would like to read the cyrillic as well
So, if anyone can help -- I'd appreciate it too
~~~~~~~~~~~
...:: found ::...

still alive and loving the new album ^_^
Old 20-07-2003, 23:39   #3
Гн. Зебра

Send a message via ICQ to MrZebra
I use Quintessential Player to listen to my music and I could without any problem type all t.A.T.u. song titles in cyrillic. It also looks cool to have them displayed that way (Especially when showing them to others and they have no clue what the songs are called!)

http://www.quinnware.com

It has to be the latest version (Build 50 or higher) the last official release (3.51) didn't have all the Unicode stuff done yet.

Just a funny thing though, at work I run WinME and even with the Russian Keyboard installed I couldn't type in any song titles in russian. So I had to do it here (WinXP) and bring them to the office.

Also another thing, I use Ogg files instead of MP3s in case that might matter.
Old 22-07-2003, 06:30   #4

thanks Mr. Zebra :D

I'll look into that player you mentioned. BTW, I run on Win98SE and I've never heard of Ogg files I guess I'm gonna have to do some homework on that too But I agree about the cyrillic, it would be cool to view the songs that way
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 22-07-2003, 22:52   #5
Участник

MrZebra, thanks! That's exactly what I'm after. In particular, it parses the cyrillic file path and file name into artist, album, and track name tags.
Old 25-07-2003, 03:40   #6
Гн. Зебра

Send a message via ICQ to MrZebra
Yeah, Quintessential Player has the best tag editor I've ever seen. It is simply THE ONLY program I've been able to type in the song titles in cyrillic. One feature that looks cool is the QuickTrack feature. If you right-click the track name you get a pull-down menu with all artists, with their albums as submenus and the tracks under. This is just so neat! Beware though, because Pre-XP versions of Windows don't have everything in unicode, the QuickTrack pull down menu for t.A.T.u.'s russian album would be displayed as "???? -> 200 ?? ????????? -> ? ????? ? ???" but this is a Windows Bug, nothing QCD Player can help.

Also another cool feature is it's ability to reencode files. While it would be totally stupid to convert MP3s to OGGs or vice-versa, the program can be used as a CD Player, unlike WinAmp where you change your output plugin to the DiskWriter, this one has a whole separate system called the Encoder Plugins which lets you write WAV files (Useful to make MP3s burnable to Audio-CDs) and there are also plugins to convert CD Tracks to MP3s or OGGs. So no messing around with other programs, an all in one thing.

Ogg files are like MP3s (Being audio files) except that they are of better quality. If you are familiar with what they call the bitrate of a file, then this should mean more to you. Try ripping your CD using the lowest quality setting for MP3s and they using the lowest quality for OGGs, while the use would be for portable player, it's amazing how OGGs are actually quite tolerable at 64kbps while MP3s start sounding like singing underwater at twice that!
Old 25-07-2003, 09:44   #7

oh amazing!

thanks for the info about the Ogg file format -- very interesting! I didn't go through all of the features of the player just yet, but I am already in love with it I've been using Musicmatch mainly for the CD ripping capability, and if the Quintessential Player can also do that (as you stated above), then I think this is the only player I should be using Thanks again Mr. Zebra!
~~~~~~~~~~~

ReplyPost New Thread