Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Politics and Science

European Union - General discussion

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 21:41   #181
Martian Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by haku
The general attitude of Poland since joining the EU only 2 years ago has been extremely disappointing to say the least...

Unfortunately the EU lacks federal powers to fully investigate the wrong doings of member states...
The European Profit Union should have worked for installing credible 'in house' institutions, with legislative, executive and jurisdictionally powers long time ago, but what have they done, expanding into 'cheap' countries, now reaching their greedy hands towards Ukraine, Moldavia, the Balkan and promising even Georgia an EU membership (really good joke, isn't it?). Now the omissions work against the EU and the demon of disintegration appears at the horizon. Soon there will be strong voices for a core-EU with the rest being second class EU members. Is that the idea of a politically and economically strong and independent Europe?
Old 11-11-2006, 18:44   #182
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argos
The European Profit Union should have worked for installing credible 'in house' institutions, with legislative, executive and jurisdictionally powers long time ago, but what have they done, expanding into 'cheap' countries, now reaching their greedy hands towards Ukraine, Moldavia, the Balkan and promising even Georgia an EU membership (really good joke, isn't it?). Now the omissions work against the EU and the demon of disintegration appears at the horizon. Soon there will be strong voices for a core-EU with the rest being second class EU members. Is that the idea of a politically and economically strong and independent Europe?
I agree with the first part, it would have been better to create a true federation when we were only 6 members and only then admit more states that were willing to join a federation, something similar to the creation of the Canadian federation.

I disagree with the second part, i think it would be a very positive step if a group of EU states decided to go forward and found a federation, a federation would be much more democratic than the current confederation (even though it's rarely said, the EU is de facto a confederation now) with a real seperation of powers and of course an elected federal executive (contrary to the appointed executive we have now). It would not be a question of first or second class, each state would be free to join the federation or remain in the confederation.
The federation-within-a-confederation scenario has been talked about in European circles, it's obvious that Europe won't have any true political and economic weight in the world until a European federation is founded, it's also obvious that it would be impossible to found a federation with all 27 EU states at the same time, the only viable solution is to allow a subset of deeply integrated EU states (the 6 founding members + the 2 Iberian sates as a minimum, the 12 Eurozone states would be ideal) to create a federation within the confederation.
I certainly hope this solution will be adopted in the near future, a federation (even with a small number of EU states) is the only way Europe will be able to be politically and economically strong and independant.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]
Old 15-11-2006, 22:15   #183
iMod

Once again the US are interfering in EU internal affairs concerning our talks with Turkey, that's another area where the new Democrat majority has changed nothing.

Funny how the US are pushing us to open our borders and give full EU citizenship to 80 million Middle-Eastern people, while on their own continent the US are in the process of building a *fence* to prevent Hispanics from entering the country (and we're not even talking of giving US citizenship to 80 million of them), it would be like us building a fence to cut Spain from Europe…
The whole thing is a clear case of 'do as i say, not as i do'.

In somewhat related news, the EU parliament is recommending a freeze of enlargement until EU institutions have been reformed. That would be a welcomed decision.
Hopefully EU leaders next month will agree with that recommendation, we should already have reformed our institutions before agreeing to the 2004 enlargement but better late than never.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 20-11-2006, 19:30   #184
iMod

EU to ban cat and dog fur trade

This should make a lot of people happy in Europe.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 20-11-2006, 21:18   #185
Ice_Cream

Send a message via ICQ to Rachel Send a message via AIM to Rachel Send a message via MSN to Rachel Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel Send a message via Skype™ to Rachel
Quote:
This should make a lot of people happy in Europe.
Inc. me!!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Tatutaty: "Horny Rachel is her name. Masturbating is her game. Fucking, sucking, licking too. Wouldn't you like some Rachel screw? *batteries not included*"

PuddleQueen | Rachel | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ rm6405@hotmail.com ]

My music playlist on Last.fm
Old 21-11-2006, 06:03   #186
pie crust

Me too!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]
Old 21-11-2006, 12:36   #187
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Once again the US are interfering in EU internal affairs concerning our talks with Turkey, that's another area where the new Democrat majority has changed nothing.

Funny how the US are pushing us to open our borders and give full EU citizenship to 80 million Middle-Eastern people, while on their own continent the US are in the process of building a *fence* to prevent Hispanics from entering the country (and we're not even talking of giving US citizenship to 80 million of them), it would be like us building a fence to cut Spain from Europe…
Yeah they're building that fence even though the hispanics are not even a problem but a benefit to them from all the cheap labour they're getting. Yet another classic case of the US' policy of double standards.
Old 21-11-2006, 15:01   #188
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:

It's a different situation though. Mexicans pose an economic burden on the States while Turkey will only strenghten us economically (in the long run). I completely agree though that they have no business in suggesting any enlargement plans to the EU. They can comment on it but never outright suggest. It's strictly an internal matter.

Yay about hte fur trade though! About time. Animal fur is such a savage fashion statemet. Not to mention you can get perfectly good artificial fur these days without anyone but the elitist snobs noticing the difference. I still support a complete economic embargo on Iceland for their whale-hunting antics.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 21-11-2006, 16:50   #189
iMod

EU-Russia relations are becoming more and more tense.

The latest row is about animal products, Russia is threatening to ban all imports of EU animal products from 1 January when Romania and Bulgaria join the EU. First of all, Russia is extremely pissed to see two more of its former satellites joining the EU and has been imposing all sorts of economic sanctions on both countries for years, so this is just an escalation in the 'punishment' for leaving Moscow's orbit. Second, it's a convenient bargaining chip in the other EU-Russia row about energy trades that will be discussed later this week.

I haven't seen that kind of tension since the days of EEC-USSR talks in the 80s, and Russia is actually using the same strategy as the USSR back then, which is to refuse to talk to the EU as a whole about trade issues and insist on having separate bilateral talks with each member state, a classic "divide to conquer" strategy (like sending 25 letters to each EU state about the possible animal products ban blaming Bulgaria and Romania for the problem, while the proper procedure would have been to send only one letter to the EU commission which is in charge of trade issues).

This clearly shows how the EU needs to evolve toward a more federal structure that will be able to resist more efficiently to the bullying from the big countries we have to compete with (US, Russia, China, India, Brazil) and will render that "divide-and-conquer" strategy completely useless.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 21-11-2006, 18:31   #190
Ice_Cream

Send a message via ICQ to Rachel Send a message via AIM to Rachel Send a message via MSN to Rachel Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel Send a message via Skype™ to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie
Mexicans pose an economic burden on the States while Turkey will only strenghten us economically (in the long run)..
In your opinion.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Tatutaty: "Horny Rachel is her name. Masturbating is her game. Fucking, sucking, licking too. Wouldn't you like some Rachel screw? *batteries not included*"

Old 22-11-2006, 18:18   #191
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
In your opinion.
Not just mine, to be honest. It's a widely accepted macro-economic analysis.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 23-11-2006, 13:55   #192
Ice_Cream

How are Mexicans hurting American economy if they are doing the job Americans do not want to do?

And as far as the Turkish go, it would be a LONG time before we could see any financial advantages to them joining. They have a GDP of around 5 thousand dollars. So we know where the EU money will be going for a long time!
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 23-11-2006, 15:21   #193
Hatırla Sevgili

Send a message via MSN to fanoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
So we know where the EU money will be going for a long time!
Haha,and the real reason why people like you you dont want Turkey in the EU is revealed!!Neither that genocide thing,nor talkings about freedoms and democracy,its just a matter of money!If only we got that money!The others are just excuses to not get Turkey in!!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Dudağımda yarım kalan söylenmemiş son sözümdür...
Baki olsa da ayrılık,
Aşk her daim ölümsüzdür...

Varsın eller gönül yarası kapanır sansın,
Kabuğun altında sevgili sen kanayansın...
Old 23-11-2006, 15:46   #194
Ice_Cream

fanoff, I mentioed money because we are talking about economical issues. No reason other. Of course money is a deciding factor ASWELL as the other issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 23-11-2006, 17:49   #195
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoff
Haha,and the real reason why people like you you dont want Turkey in the EU is revealed!!Neither that genocide thing,nor talkings about freedoms and democracy,its just a matter of money!If only we got that money!The others are just excuses to not get Turkey in!!
That kind of absurd statement just shows how little you know about the EU and how it works, a totalitarian state would never be allowed to join no matter how rich it could be, an EU candidate has to meet *all* criterias to be allowed to join, not one more than the other, all of them.
Accession talks are conducted on an Acquis Chapter by Acquis Chapter basis anyway, here you can see a list of Acquis Chapters and their negociation status for all EU candidates, all Acquis Chapters have to be succesfully closed for a country to be allowed to join.

Full EU membership is not the only option anyway, the EU has several associate agreements that are available to its neighbors. The EU commission will unveil the enhanced ENP-plus plan next week for example, and there's also the EEA free trade agreement.
For people who are not familiar with it, here's a map of the EU and its various associate agreements.
Needless to say, i am among the people who think Turkey belongs in the ENP, i would not even oppose Turkey joining the EEA eventually once its economy is up to speed actually.
I've never had any problem with a free trade agreement with Turkey (ENP, EEA, or special bilateral agreement like with Switzerland), i'm just opposed to a full EU membership because it includes being part of European confederal (and one day eventually federal) executive, legislative, judiciary, and monetary institutions where only highly integrated European states belong.
And honestly, i think even Turkey would be happier with a simple EEA agreement.

Oh and for people who are wary of EU enlargement, do not freak out seeing the ENP map, being in the ENP agreement does not mean in any way a future possible EU membership, not at all.
Many of those countries belong to other continental blocs actually:
African countries belong to the African Union
Eurasian countries belong to the Eurasian Economic Community
And Middle-Eastern countries will eventually join the Gulf Council
Given its geographic position, Turkey could alternatively join the Eurasian Community or the Gulf Council.

If you add to that list of continental blocs, the SAARC for South Asia, the ASEAN for South-East Asia, the NAFTA for North America, and the SAC for South America, you have the 8 (or 7 since China is working on merging SAARC and ASEAN) continental blocs that will shape international relations for the foreseeable future, all countries will eventually belong to one of those blocs.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 23-11-2006, 18:51   #196
Hatırla Sevgili

Send a message via MSN to fanoff
hey man,imm just joking,wouldnt you try to take it simpler?I saw an attitude above like "Theyre not rich enough to get in the EU",and i wanted to joke with it.That geographic situation is so funny reason,i still believe some religional and "secret" reasons dont let us in the EU.By the way,i was at the journey to Istanbul,and both the Anatolian and the european parts of Istanbul are gorgeous,i am fascinated.Definately the most fascinating city in the entire world!And luckiliy i was there in the 83rd anniversary of the Republic Day in here.The Bosphorus was amazing.I cant tell the words.Let me show some pics

I was in that ship!!!
Nice view
from my low quality cam

you can see more here
~~~~~~~~~~~
Dudağımda yarım kalan söylenmemiş son sözümdür...
Baki olsa da ayrılık,
Aşk her daim ölümsüzdür...

Varsın eller gönül yarası kapanır sansın,
Kabuğun altında sevgili sen kanayansın...
Old 30-11-2006, 03:45   #197
iMod

Following Turkey's refusal to normalize relations with EU state Cyprus, the EU commission recommends a partial freeze of accession talks with Turkey. A small step in the right direction in my opinion.

Specifically, the EU commission proposes to freeze 8 acquis chapters, the other 27 acquis chapters can still be open but can't be closed until the issue is resolved. That being said, all 25 EU states (and soon 27) must agree for an acquis chapter to be open, and Cyprus will veto the opening of any acquis chapter until Turkey recognizes its existence, so accession talks are de facto halted.

The final decision will be taken by EU leaders next month.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 03-12-2006, 18:15   #198
iMod

The EU has published its annual population report last week, here's the main figures (numbers are in thousands people):
[CODE]
Pop. 01.01.2005 Natural change Migration Pop. 01.01.2006

EU 461 478.7 381.3 1 650.6 463 523.4 (+2 044.7)

Belgium 10 445.9 14.8 50.7 10 511.4 (+65.5)
Czechia 10 220.6 -5.7 36.2 10 251.1 (+30.5)
Denmark 5 411.4 9.3 6.6 5 427.5 (+16.1)
Germany 82 500.8 -144.4 79.0 82 438.0 (-62.9)
Estonia 1 347.5 -3.0 0.0 1 344.7 (-2.8)
Greece 11 082.8 2.5 40.0 11 125.2 (+42.5)
Spain 43 038.0 78.6 651.3 43 758.3 (+720.2)
France 62 518.6 275.1 97.5 62 886.2 (+367.6)
Ireland 4 109.2 33.6 53.4 4 209.0 (+99.8)
Italy 58 462.4 -34.9 260.6 58 751.7 (+289.3)
Cyprus 749.2 2.8 14.4 766.4 (+17.2)
Latvia 2 306.4 -11.3 -0.6 2 294.6 (-11.8)
Lithuania 3 425.3 -13.3 -8.8 3 403.3 (-22.0)
Luxembourg 455.0 1.8 2.7 459.5 (+4.5)
Hungary 10 097.5 -38.2 17.3 10 076.6 (-21.0)
Malta 402.7 0.7 0.1 404.3 (+1.7)
Netherlands 16 305.5 51.5 9.2 16 334.2 (+28.7)
Austria 8 206.5 3.0 49.2 8 265.9 (+59.4)
Poland 38 173.8 -3.9 -12.9 38 157.1 (-16.8)
Portugal 10 529.3 1.9 38.4 10 569.6 (+40.3)
Slovenia 1 997.6 -0.7 6.7 2 003.4 (+5.8)
Slovakia 5 384.8 1.0 3.4 5 389.2 (+4.4)
Finland 5 236.6 9.8 9.0 5 255.6 (+19.0)
Sweden 9 011.4 9.6 27.1 9 047.8 (+36.4)
UK 60 059.9 140.6 220.0 60 393.1 (+333.2)[/CODE]
There's a few striking numbers:

An important natural decrease in Germany (-144,000 people), Germany has been losing annually over 100,000 people for several years now, but it's the highest annual loss so far.

A massive immigration to Spain (+651,000), Italy (+260,000), and the UK (+220,000), the numbers are similar to previous years and there's no sign of slowing down in the immigration to those 3 EU states.

A steady natural increase in France (+275,000) which alone provides about 75% of the natural increase of the entire EU (only +381,000). It's not that France has had an exceptionally good year, France has had an average annual natural increase of 250,000 for the past 20 years, so this year is just slightly above average, it's the rest of the EU which is experiencing a natality collapse.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-12-2006, 19:06   #199
iMod

Some more interesting stats for 2005: Birth Rate (in brackets is the birth rate in 2000 to show the trend), Male Life Expectancy, and Female Life Expectancy.
[CODE] BR MLE FLE

EU 1.52 (1.48) 75.8 81.9

Belgium 1.72 (1.61) 76.7 82.4
Czechia 1.28 (1.14) 72.9 79.1
Denmark 1.80 (1.77) 75.6 80.2
Germany 1.34 (1.38) 76.2 81.8
Estonia 1.50 (1.39) 67.3 78.1
Greece 1.28 (1.27) 76.6 81.5
Spain 1.34 (1.23) 77.4 83.9
France 1.94 (1.89) 76.7 83.8
Ireland 1.88 (1.90) 77.1 81.8
Italy 1.34 (1.26) 77.6 83.2
Cyprus 1.42 (1.64) 77.0 81.7
Latvia 1.31 (1.24) 65.6 77.4
Lithuania 1.27 (1.39) 65.4 77.4
Luxembourg 1.70 (1.78) 76.2 82.3
Hungary 1.32 (1.33) 68.6 76.9
Malta 1.37 (1.67) 77.7 81.4
Netherlands 1.73 (1.72) 77.2 81.6
Austria 1.41 (1.36) 76.7 82.2
Poland 1.24 (1.37) 70.8 79.4
Portugal 1.40 (1.55) 74.9 81.4
Slovenia 1.26 (1.26) 74.1 81.3
Slovakia 1.25 (1.30) 70.1 77.9
Finland 1.80 (1.73) 75.5 82.3
Sweden 1.77 (1.55) 78.4 82.8
UK 1.80 (1.64) 76.9 81.1[/CODE]
On average, male life expectancy has gained 1.4 year and female life expectancy 1.1 year since 2000, so the gap between genders is slowly decreasing. Life expectancy also tends to converge everywhere in the EU and all EU states should end up with the same life expectancy in the near future.

The EU's birth rate is slightly increasing but contrary to life expectancy, there is no convergence in sight, the situation is very different from state to state, from an extremely low 1.24 in Poland to an almost satisfactory 1.94 in France.
Besides the social consequences, those differences will also have political consequences, many EU states will see a decrease of their populations while others will see an increase, which will affect the number of seats attributed to those states in the EU parliament and modify significantly the current distribution.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-01-2007, 05:11   #200
Bitchka

well, congratulations to me i guess, Bulgaria is part of the EU from today ... wether we were really wanted or not
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
ReplyPost New Thread