Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Language Poll

View Poll Results: Please choose the option below that best describes your position.
I am from the US and speak only English 10 17.86%
I am from the US and speak one or more languages other than English NEAR FLUENTLY 9 16.07%
I am NOT from the US and speak another language in addition to English NEAR FLUENTLY 13 23.21%
I am NOT from the US and speak MORE than one language in addition to English NEAR FLUENTLY 24 42.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 17:07   #1
Новенький

Language Poll

Seems to me that people from countries other than the US seem to speak more than one language more so than people from the US. Please take this poll and or post your opinion on the subject. I am from the US and speak only english...Suprise, Suprise.

NOTE: OTHER LANGUAGE SPOKEN IN ADDITION TO ENGLISH MUST BE SPOKEN FLUENTLY OR NEAR FLUENTLY

Last edited by icantdraw; 12-04-2003 at 17:13.
Old 12-04-2003, 18:39   #2
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
OK let's say that I know slovenian, croatian and english

I also understand quite a bit of german (I just can't seem to learn it properly) some italian and "get" something from most of the slavic languages (not polish 'though)

I think that all you native english speakers out there are very fortunate, 'cause you don't have the need to learn another language. English is spoken all over the world.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 12-04-2003, 18:57   #3
The Chosen ONe

I believe knowing many languages is a beautiful thing. I am fluent in Spanish, a little Italian and now I am trying to get into Russian and German. I'm gonna take some classes around June/July for Russian though.
Old 12-04-2003, 22:56   #4
Новенький

yeah

see thats another thing, seems that people from US have no need to learn different languages, but ive been to europe, where it would make sence to know multiple languages, as the countries are much smaller and more interconnected with each other.

I would love to learn more languages, but im no good at it, i took 3 years of spanish, which is supposedly easy to learn, but i never caught on, Im also interested in Latin, but that would be usless to learn since the uhhhh...romans arnt around anymore...
Old 13-04-2003, 00:18   #5
Full Circle

It's good to talk

The more languages that you speak will eventually make the world less intimidating and less ignorant.

I am fortunate to speak Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi, Farsi, Mir Pur, Arabic ...

Living in the UK has exposed me to elements of Spanish, French and German.

When you translate into how many the countries that these languages are spoken in then you will see that the world is really a very small place.
Old 13-04-2003, 02:21   #6
Участник

Monolingual US citizen here.

It is too bad the US education system assumes you don't need to learn another language. The only case where I know another language is truely required in the US is at the college level for some fields (German for chemistry for example).

I've spent about six weeks in Paris. In preperation I took a year of French in college. I couldn't speak it worth a damn, but I could understand some, and read fairly well. I figured if I was going to be there, I should have a clue at least. One of my favorite memories was a couple from Texas talking very loudly, and very slowly asking for direction. A group of eight to ten Parisians were gathered around acting like they didn't understand the Texans. The two Texans just talked louder, and slower like that would help. In my experience, given 10 random Parisians, there is someone who speaks English. Moral of the story: the French are fiercly proud of their language, and if you act like the ugly american while abroud, expect to be treated poorly.
Old 13-04-2003, 03:44   #7
I'm a Dust Bunny!

No offence to Parisians, but my friends have been to Paris, and the locals were less than welcoming. And we're French-speakers, in a mainly francophone province. Lol.

I'm polylingual. And I love it. *Dances.* Of course, knowing more than one language makes me mix things up sometimes. And then, I end talking three languages at the same time and confusing all my friends. Yay!

~Echo.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Quietly weaving,
Tiredly leaving,
Another today,
Again tomorrow
Together dismay,
And raining sorrow.

Le noir, la gloire... On se demande bien.
Mais comm' je t'adore, lorsque je m'endors...
Old 14-04-2003, 06:17   #8
dirty white boy

Also polylingual, though I might doubt the existence of that adjective.

I convinced a Hungarian once that I was also Hungarian. Absolutely the proudest ten-minute conversation in my life.
Old 14-04-2003, 06:22   #9
I'm a Dust Bunny!

Lol. The word doesn't exist. Someone said "polylingual" to me once and it just stuck. So I use it all the time. Hee.

Mr. cniaju is a crazy linguist. He r0x0rz.

~Echo.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Quietly weaving,
Tiredly leaving,
Another today,
Again tomorrow
Together dismay,
And raining sorrow.

Le noir, la gloire... On se demande bien.
Mais comm' je t'adore, lorsque je m'endors...
Old 14-04-2003, 06:30   #10
Божественная красота

Send a message via AIM to YLuelniaa Send a message via MSN to YLuelniaa
well

i dont like this poll because i come off as dumb...cause i know other languages but i am not way nearly fluent in em' doh
Old 14-04-2003, 07:11   #11
Echoes among the Stars

way to go, cniaju!

same here...not with Hungarian though (which is a lot harder than any languages I know) . In Russia I pass for a Russian; I was once questioned by a suspicious babushka who thought I was dressed too casually, but by the end of the conversation she was convinced that I was visiting from Moscow

Languages are a lot of fun.
Old 14-04-2003, 11:29   #12
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
I'd like to see a foreign person pass as a slovenian. I'd give him a medal immediately. It's one of the harder languages (if you're not slavic). Let me just mention that we are the only ones who don't have just "singular" and "plural", we also have special rules for double (two persons - it's not plural yet).
I know some americans who live in Slovenia for about 20 years and they still sound completely american.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 14-04-2003, 15:42   #13

Well, as for me, I fluently speak Russian, French, and English..

I'm learning Japanese too!
Old 14-04-2003, 18:10   #14
Прохожий

Send a message via ICQ to marko86
I am from Canada and I speak English perfectly. I also speak Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian...
Old 24-04-2003, 21:38   #15
Прохожий

Send a message via AIM to lem0n
re: passing for slovenian

I am canadian.. although I live in the US now.. and am happy to say Freddie, that for 19 years of my life, I passed as slovenian every summer, in fact, I had a hard time convincing new people I met there that I was Canadian.

I speak.. english, french and slovene... I understand croatian but I would be lying if I said I was fluent ... I would love to learn Italian next =)
Old 25-04-2003, 16:16   #16
Your Distraction

Send a message via ICQ to Ripptyd Send a message via AIM to Ripptyd Send a message via MSN to Ripptyd Send a message via Yahoo to Ripptyd
I'm from the US and speak English (Sometimes fluently. *grins* Just kidding!) I've taken 2 years of Spanish and will take my 2nd year of Latin next year. Also, taking Russian from a Ukrainian teacher at school with our own free time (A nice, small school club). She rocks.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Still, you bolded all your best words, so they'd have something to wrap their mouths around
---
I'll still say your name to fall asleep
A cynic saying rosary; a liar in his make believe

|| livejournal || myspace || facebook me || son fic || website ||
Old 26-04-2003, 03:53   #17
Yearning

Send a message via AIM to dare2dream28 Send a message via MSN to dare2dream28
I'm from the U.S. but have taken 5 years of French during school. Bad part is we never spoke it so I can read it without any trouble, can sometimes write it, but ask me to speak it and I'm like "Uhh, could you write that down?" LOL I wish I could speak another language fluently though. I think it's awesome that there are so many people on this forum that speak (well, type anyway ) English so well you would never be able to tell it was their second language.
Old 26-04-2003, 11:43   #18
Sad Little Monkey

Re: re: passing for slovenian

Quote:
Originally posted by lem0n
I am canadian.. although I live in the US now.. and am happy to say Freddie, that for 19 years of my life, I passed as slovenian every summer, in fact, I had a hard time convincing new people I met there that I was Canadian.

I speak.. english, french and slovene... I understand croatian but I would be lying if I said I was fluent ... I would love to learn Italian next =)
Then I must congratulate you. I've never seen anything like it.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 26-04-2003, 12:08   #19
you'll need love

Funny question

Being from Denmark I'm pretty near fluent in danish..
but does that count as the one language besides english? Perhaps not, but in that case I understand german, but don't speak it very well.

I can understand swedish and norwegian too.. (not hard for a Scandinavian though)
~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't waste your time on me you're already
the voice inside my head
Old 26-04-2003, 17:45   #20
tatu is great

Send a message via ICQ to Tatu fan stefan
I speak English and Dutch, a little German and French
I'm from the nethetlands
ReplyPost New Thread