Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Politics and Science

Legalization of Polygamy

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 25-01-2005, 21:27   #1
The Dream is Over, :~(

Legalization of Polygamy

Call it the Conservative's inflation of the issue or just the predicted reaction to gay marriage coming to actualization, polygamy is now being examined to determine whether or not it should be legalized in Canada.

What do you think about; should polygamy be legalized where you live?
A poll was conducted and according to it's results 1 in 5 Canadians surprisingly have no problem with it.

I personally have no problem with it either, if consenting adults want to get into that sort of relationship then really there is no harm done. However, unlike gay marriage, I won't get particularly upset if it isn't recognized by law.
Old 25-01-2005, 21:46   #2
I don't waste my time

I am totally for it. It's practiced anyway, so why still be illegal? It makes no sense. As you said, as long as people know what they're doing... And even if they don't know what they're getting themselves into, polygamy being illegal isn't gonna stop them from doing so.
Old 25-01-2005, 21:51   #3
pie crust

I don't really know.. I personally have no problem with it, I mean, people do as they wish right? As long as everyone is aware of what's going on and they aren't hurting anybody then sure. Personally I don't really see the point of it... I mean, marriage can mean alot of things for people, but generally it's either tradition or to feel connected to a person, and share such an experience. So.. I think the thought of that kinda dies out if you're gonna share that experience with a bunch of other people. Then there are the emotional things, how are such relationships gonna last when there are several partners involved? But in the end I guess it's different strokes for different pholks, I mean, surely there must be people who have no problem with their husband/wife being married to somebody else at the same time, and being open about it.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]
Old 25-01-2005, 21:51   #4
Участник

Send a message via ICQ to nath Send a message via MSN to nath Send a message via Skype™ to nath
Does polygamy exist in a country in the meaning 1 woman for 5 husbands ?... just ask cause really don't know..
...just know , in real , the case of 1 man for 4 wives ....not sure that it was "consenting adults wanted to get into that sort of relationship"...I speak about women choice....Feel it as it was more a kind of tradition....May be it was easier to live in Africa ...but it seems sometimes more difficult to live in France (or women discover here they could have another choice for their own life)...I mean I just say about the 4 or 5 cases that I know in real life...and each time , when women arrive in France and see they have the possibility to escape from this situation with help of "social help", they ask for their independance with their children...cause life with other wives isn't easy ...

Of course , it's just an experience and i don't say nor pretend it's reflecting the general tendance of polygamy lived in france.

I think Polygamy is forbidden in France.
Old 25-01-2005, 22:11   #5
I don't waste my time

Well, if polygamy is illegal, then adultery should be illegal as well Why such double standards?

Better make the whole thing legal, then.
Old 25-01-2005, 22:32   #6
Gaga ftw!

Send a message via AIM to Khartoun2004 Send a message via MSN to Khartoun2004 Send a message via Skype™ to Khartoun2004
I don't personally have aproblem with polygamy, however if legalized (at least this is true of the US) polygamy could cause a lot of legal problems. For example when one gets married your spouse becomes your next of kin and should something happen to you, they ahve every legal right to make medical and financial decisions on your behalf. If you die and you don't have a will, everthing goes to your spouse.

What happens if a person has more than one spouse? Does the first wife get everything? If so what's the point of having more than one legal spouse? I think there are several legal questions that should be given serious thought and discussion to before any country chooses to legalize it.

My other question is, why does it need to be legalized in the sense that, the government has to acknowldge the multiple spouses? Wouldn't it be easier, from a leagl stand point, to have one legal spouse and the others one could easily be marry in a church without the marriage license, there by making the other marriages religious marriages?
~~~~~~~~~~~
Alexander
EPIC!!!!!!
Velvet ropes and guitars
Yeah, cause you're my rock star in between the sets
Eyeliner and cigarettes
Old 25-01-2005, 23:01   #7
a kind of fresh madness

Never mind the legal implications - I think the very idea of having more than one sexual partner at a time is disgusting. I'm beginning to wonder if the human race has lost all decency.
Why don't we all just run naked in the street, fucking random strangers?! Why don't we all revert back to living in caves and communicating via grunts and crude pictures?! Obviously emotions and relationships mean nothing anymore!
Call me old fashioned but I believe that relationships - especially a marriage - should be completely monogamous. Otherwise a) it's not a relationship cos your partner clearly doesn't give a shit about you if he/she is happily screwing other people and b) we're no better than animals if we can't control our urges.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
or is it just to humour us before we die?
Old 25-01-2005, 23:04   #8
I don't waste my time

Offtop:
Hey Lorna How did your whole gigs and job interviews go? Tell us

Ummm... Well I think it's stupid too, but people should have the right to choose, even if I don't agree with it. And I think that, once the law is changed and it becomes legal, obviously a lot has to be done regarding the other laws concerning marriage, inhereting money, etc etc
Old 25-01-2005, 23:10   #9
a kind of fresh madness

Offtop:
Quote:
Originally Posted by staringelf
Hey Lorna How did your whole gigs and job interviews go? Tell us
It's been a hectic and somewhat bizarre couple of days, let me tell you!
When I get my head together (and after I sleep for a solid 12 hours) I shall regale you with the tales of my travels.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
or is it just to humour us before we die?
Old 25-01-2005, 23:27   #10
I don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossopp
It's been a hectic and somewhat bizarre couple of days, let me tell you!
When I get my head together (and after I sleep for a solid 12 hours) I shall regale you with the tales of my travels.
I can't wait!!!
Old 25-01-2005, 23:38   #11
pie crust

This kind of reminds me of other tabu subjects... and they all involve sex! Like this is something you *know* is going on but you want nothing to do with it.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 25-01-2005, 23:40   #12
iMod

There is not a single country on the planet where polygamy is legal for both genders, either it's men who can have several wives (but it's forbidden for women to have several husbands), or women who can have several husbands (but it's forbidden for men to have several wives). But both genders being allowed to have several spouses? It doesn't exist anywhere. Why? Because it quickly becomes a social mess.

In western countries, it would be impossible to legalize polygamy for only one gender, that would be discrimination, so it would have to be legal for both, but can you imagine what it would give?

So let's say that Husband A is married to Wife A, Wife B, and Wife C.
But Wife A is married to Husband A, Husband B, and Husband C; Wife B is married to Husband A, Husband D, and Husband E; and Wife C is married to Husband A, Husband D, and Husband F.
But Husband B is married to Wife A, and Wife D; Husband C is married to Wife A, Wife E, and Wife F; Husband D is married to wife B, Wife G, and Wife H; Husband E is married to Wife B, Wife I, and Wife J, and Husband F is married to Wife C, and Wife K.
But Wife D is married to... etc, etc, etc.

Now imagine all those Husbands and Wives each having 2 or 3 children, can you imagine the level of complexity or the relationships thus created?

I don't think any modern country is going to legalize such a potential social mess.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]
Old 25-01-2005, 23:54   #13
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Never mind the legal implications - I think the very idea of having more than one sexual partner at a time is disgusting. I'm beginning to wonder if the human race has lost all decency.
Why don't we all just run naked in the street, fucking random strangers?! Why don't we all revert back to living in caves and communicating via grunts and crude pictures?! Obviously emotions and relationships mean nothing anymore!
Call me old fashioned but I believe that relationships - especially a marriage - should be completely monogamous. Otherwise a) it's not a relationship cos your partner clearly doesn't give a shit about you if he/she is happily screwing other people and b) we're no better than animals if we can't control our urges.
oh common, we can't go naked on the streets! But I propose that polygamy is legalised and the attire of the Arab robe be made compulsory...is that thread supposed to show how liberal minds we are?
Old 26-01-2005, 00:46   #14
The Dream is Over, :~(

Just so it is known, the whole polygamy thing was brought up by the Mormons out West. Polygamy is legal in the State of Utah in the US (American posters; please correct me if I wrong here), of course a state mostly inhabited by Mormons. I do not see why Islam or Africa have to be specifically brought up.

As for running around naked, Mossop I am sorry to disappoint you there but Canada has legalized women going topless. Not just in the beach (beaches in Canada, HA!) but out on the street too. Granted no woman has tried it yet for the past 5+ years, it is just allowed out of principle. So, how's that for liberal, spyretto?

Quote:
I don't think any modern country is going to legalize such a potential social mess.
I don't think any country would overlook that situation if it were to ever legalize polygamy. Some set of limitations would be established to avoid complications like that, for instance; group of people in marriage cannot join in another group of people... who are married. Oh and uh, only x number of people maximum in polygamous marriage. I don't think it necessarily has to be 1 wife and x number of husbands or 1 husband and x number of wives. Mix it up a bit! 2 wives and three husbands, etc...
I think the law can work its way around it, hell I'm having fun just making some up!
Old 26-01-2005, 01:09   #15
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl
Some set of limitations would be established to avoid complications like that, for instance; group of people in marriage cannot join in another group of people... who are married.
Ok, i would agree to that.

General polygamy where anyone can marry anyone is just way too complicated, but some kind of "group marriage" which would be nothing more than just a marriage with more than 2 people is perfectly acceptable to me.

A group marriage (groupiage? lol) would simply be the union of 3 or more people (a upper limit would have to be set though) and a person would not be allowed to be part of more than one groupiage at a time.

In that case that would be fine by me.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]
Old 26-01-2005, 01:11   #16
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl
Just so it is known, the whole polygamy thing was brought up by the Mormons out West. Polygamy is legal in the State of Utah in the US (American posters; please correct me if I wrong here), of course a state mostly inhabited by Mormons. I do not see why Islam or Africa have to be specifically brought up.

As for running around naked, Mossop I am sorry to disappoint you there but Canada has legalized women going topless. Not just in the beach (beaches in Canada, HA!) but out on the street too. Granted no woman has tried it yet for the past 5+ years, it is just allowed out of principle. So, how's that for liberal, spyretto?
Liberal my foot...You can see topless women sunbathing in parks if it's a very hot day even here in the UK. But they do their utmost to cover themselves. Beaches are also a place where they can sunbathe topless, I don't see why we have to bring it to the streets too? And who would do it? Only some exhibitionist...As for polygamy, you're also forgetting China. It was all about male polygamy but maybe there was female polygamy sometime in the ancient matriarchal societies? ( like in Greece, the Aegean civilization which was purely matriarchal ) But the first thing that comes to mind when you think of polygamy and where it is practised today is the Arab world. Do they practise it in Utah as well? And they don't want to legalise abortion? Not to forget that Americans have crazy laws...
Old 26-01-2005, 01:28   #17
pie crust

Holy crap... that would mean we could all be relatives... *Shiver*
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 26-01-2005, 03:15   #18
Участник

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grr
lPolygamy is legal in the State of Utah in the US (American posters; please correct me if I wrong here), of course a state mostly inhabited by Mormons.
I'm not an American, but I do know that polygamy is illegal in Utah. They were required to make it illegal to join the United States and the Mormon church renounced the practice. However, polygamy is still practiced by some Mormons and the state of Utah doesn't prosecute them. So it's illegal but unofficially tolerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyretto
As for polygamy, you're also forgetting China. It was all about male polygamy but maybe there was female polygamy sometime in the ancient matriarchal societies?
Polyandry was practiced in Tibet, but it wasn't as wonderful for the woman as it sounds. All the husbands were brothers and she had to cook and clean for all of them.

Quote:
Wow! Strong feelings, Mossopp. I don't agree, because some people manage to have successful non-monogamous relationships. A hundred years ago people said the same sort of things about divorce and remarriage or sex before marriage that you're saying now. They had the idea that sexual relationships should be lifelong and aimed at procreation. We have very different values now. Everyone nowadays openly behaves in ways that would have shocked our great-grandparents to the core. I think that monogamy may continue to be regarded as a romantic ideal, like marriage, but the social taboo against infidelity may go the way of the taboos against divorce, contraception, illegitimacy and premarital sex.
Old 26-01-2005, 03:58   #19
My Waking Hour

yeah, for example: Angelina Jolie
Old 26-01-2005, 05:05   #20
Участник

Send a message via Yahoo to noki_the_cat
POLYGYNY IN THE MORMON MOVEMENT:
In Bountiful, British Columbia, Canada

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_poly1.htm

Sick bunch!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Global Expeditionist, World traveler. Гловальная экспедиция, путешественник мира.Global Freeman, Equality for humanity!
ReplyPost New Thread