Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Slavic Languages

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 16-05-2003, 13:59   #121
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Izgubila Sam si Uma. You can also say it like that in slovene; thought Jaz sem shla s uma would be more OK.

izgubila - in slovene this is also "lost" in feminine form, male form would be izgubil
sam - this would be sem in slovene
si - we have "si" but it's not used in this case (I don't know exactly why, I think that "si" would be used only if you had to "stress" that you've done that to yourself...I can't really explain that
uma - the same as well.

So if you'd try to say this in slovene it would be: Izgubila sem um. (um is in padezh - 4.sklon) But again although this is grammaticaly correct we don't have an expression like this. We would prefer to say: Izgubila sem glavo - I've lost my head.

poludiyala sam - I know this because lud - luda and poludio-poludila is "crazy" and "gone mad" in croatian, so we use this word as well although it's not our own. Our word would be ponorela - ponorel because nor and nora means crazy. But lud - luda is perfectly understandable to me. So here we have a different example: the words is not the same, but the prefix is (po).

OK, let me see those words now:

kamping or kumping = we say kamping

kashta or kushta = Hisha

prast or prust = prst (there is that sound in the middle
between p and r, but it's not writen!!!!)

Bulgaria or Balgaria - Bolgarija (there's the o )

dano or duno = dno (again that sound, but it's not written down, it's just there)

pap or pup= popek (-o again)

purzha or parzha = prazhiti (the sound disapears between p and r and the vowel becomes -a after p and r)

palen or pulen = poln (pronounced poven); there's the -o again

dalag or dulag = dolg (again the -o)

Last 4. words are different (davcha or duvcha = zhvechiti in slovene, kosam or kosum= lasje in slovene; but I understand kosam, because it's "kosa" in croatian; kasam-kusam = wait we have this one: "kosam" or "razkosam" so here is -o as well, but tear off is "raztrgati", stalba or stulba = stopnica)

OK what can we draw from this? I think that the half-vowel is replaced by o more often then with other vowels, (dolg, poln, sonce, pot roka, kosat, bolgarija...) but sometimes it's replaced with other vowels as well (lika -a in camping, but this is a foreign word so it's a bad example). And sometimes the half-vowel is still there, but it's not writen down (like prst), and somewhere it was moved (parza/purza- praziti).
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Last edited by freddie; 16-05-2003 at 19:24.
Old 16-05-2003, 23:25   #122
Bitchka

Checked the dictionary for razum too, same stuff:
razum- reason, intelligence, mind, wit(s), zdrav razum- common sense, vapreki zdravia razum- against one's better judgement/common sense (by the way we also have the word:'protiv' which means 'against' but I guess it is not used in this phrase)
Then, I said I will explain the a at the end of 'uma' from 'Az Sam Si Izgubila Uma'. Well, i guess in English these things are called: article with the objective case. There is also article with the nominative case, which would make the word: 'umat', where the a is again that vowel of ours. In bulgarian we call the first one: 'kratak chlen' = 'short article' and the second- 'palen chlen' = 'full article'. ('palen' again has 'the' vowel, so could be 'pulen')
oh, and about si- yeah I guess ours is like yours freddie- that is what I meant, that it shows 'I did something to myself' I am not sure how to explain it any other way.
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 17-05-2003, 00:22   #123
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
I see. We would call those kratek and poln chlen, but I'm not sure if we have those. So you are saying that the a at the end of um-a is because of this?
That's funny but when I say: "Jaz sem shla s Uma", the a at the end would be there because of the padezh (3.sklon). I don't even think about the a at the end of your translation, because I'm naturaly inclined to read everything in padezh
Interesting.

EDIT: I just thought of some more words in srednji spol (middle gender), and they don't just end in -o...there are also others ending with -e (like okolje-environment, dekle- girl, zhrebe- little horse)
~~~~~~~~~~~

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Last edited by freddie; 17-05-2003 at 22:22.
Old 25-05-2003, 23:30   #124
Bitchka

freddie, mdaaaa, Elf said it correct. Shows ya who's Russian I hope (s)he comes here and joins us with the Slavic language discussions, then we will have a Russian representative

еле= yele = barely, hardly - ha ha, my mistake to be thinking it means almost, that's pochti, edva. Same words, 'pochti, edva', for Bulgarian 'almost'

And the Nereal'no part- ha ha , Yulia always mumbles, says the words fast and eats half of them out! she's a nightmare for me to understand- even my mom couldnt understand her, and for my parents generation Russian is almost like their own language- they learned it and used it for decades. Maybe she's just out of traning
In Bulgarian we have the same word: Nerealno, and we use it the same way: 'Unreal'. Comes from realnost = reality. 'realno' means 'real' , so with 'ne' in the front- it becomes 'unreal'

Thanks to Elf though- when I read the translit, and listened, made perfect sense.

By the way, we have the same words in Bulgarian (once again): vaobshte = in general, like - same as Elf described it- meaningless kind of, you just put it in the sentanse like 'like' in English. [In Bu;lgarian it is spelled a little differently though, I cant remember if it is: въобще or ваобще- (this is 'that' vowel in the first case, or simply 'a' in the second- ahhh, I have forgotten how to spell it !!) while in Russian it is: вообще, but the 'o' is pronaunced kind of like 'a' ]

Same goes for prosto, in Bulgarian it means simply, but once again, you use it like vaobshte It is spelled exactly the same in both languages(Russ + Bg): просто
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!

Last edited by coolasfcuk; 25-05-2003 at 23:43.
Old 26-05-2003, 00:58   #125
Sad Little Monkey

yele - we don't have that one. But you said that you also say edva; well that I know, because croatian is jedva (sometimes it really helps to know 2 slavic languages). Our word is way off = komaj

vaobshte- we don't have that one eather, but I remember that croatian has uopshte... I'm not sure if it's the same... I think it is...

prosto - Hehe, we say preprosto which means simply as well and we also use it (surprise, surprise!) as "like" (the meaningless kind). How do you say that in english? Smalltalk?

Nerealno - We use exactly the same word for unreal. realnost is reality as well. Realno - is "real", and we also put "ne" infront so it becomes nerealno meaning "unreal"
I must say that I love this word and use it every day constantly. but although we have the same word as you guys or the russians there is no way in hell that I would figure it out on my own that Yulia said "nerealno" there. It's so much harder when people are talking so fast and unclear.

Yeah, I also hope that elf will join our little family here as russian representative. We need someone from the biggest slavic nation out there.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 26-05-2003, 04:54   #126
Bitchka

Ha ha, yes, Yulia mumbles like crazy, and lately it has been worse than before, at least for me. In earlier interviews she spoke waaaaaaaay better!

Yes, pochti, edva, again, exactly the same in Russian and Bulgarian, spelled like this: почти, едва, edva is more like barely, just

Those words, and the phrases that come with them seem 100% identical in Russian and Bulgarian Here are some examples for edva, which are all 100% identical in both languages:

едва ли не = edva li ne = perhaps, almost

едва ли = edva li = not likely, unlikely

едва-едва = edva-edva =
scarcely; hardly

and your word komaj, he he, are you surprised when I tell you that komaj for us means: perhaps, but it is really old, and more like a dialect word, like only old people in the villages use it
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 26-05-2003, 05:18   #127
Bitchka

K, I thought I'd make a new post, a little bit Eurovision related, since it is that time of the year

When I was watching the contest, and the Bosnian, and Croatian ones performed (I know, it sucks, I had to leave my comp for a little bit, and that was at the end, so I misses Slovenia- so I dont even know if it was performed totally in english or not?! Let me know) But anyway- the Croatian and B+H performances - I understood most of it!

This is what I remember, this is not all I understood, but simply what I fastly scratched on piece of paper, cause I thought of this thread

Croatia:
Za lud se trudish
Da se uchish
Ne sam gora (??)
Ne sam ona koja trpi

Ha ha, that's all I could write down, hope it is not too much off, in fact it might be in the spelling, but that is because I am transliting it in a way, because all those similar words for us are in Cyrillic.

Here it is translated in Bulgarian, at least what I heard (lets hope its right), and what it means:

Za lud se trudish : 'za' = for; 'lud' = 'crazy', 'trudish' = 'to work' - so something like: 'you're working for nothing'?
Da se uchish : 'da' = 'to', 'uchish' = 'study' - so something like: 'to study' , 'to learn'?
Ne sam gora : 'gora' = 'forest', so something like: 'I am not forest'? Makes no sense to me, lol, I probably heard that wrong
Ne sam onaja kojato tarpi [here, the 'a' in tarpi is 'that' vowel of ours] : 'onaja' for us is : 'that one for female', 'kojato' = 'which', 'tarpi' = 'to stand' ahh I forgot the better word in English, I will have to look it up in the dictionary. (Like, when someone is pissing you off, and you are being nice and patient to them, you are 'tarpeliv' ), so something like: 'I am not the one that is patient'

Bosnia+H:

Lazh me. Nishto ne mozhe
Kade se gubi svet
Kazhi, kazhi kako e
za mene

That's what I heard, and here it is translated in Bulgaria, once again like Croatian, pretty close (that is, if I have heard it correctly that it):

Lazhi me. Nishto ne mozhe : 'lazhi me' = 'lie to me'. 'nishto' = 'nothing', 'mozhe' = 'can', so something like: 'nothing can'?
Kade se gubi sveta (svetlinata)? : 'kade'= 'where'; 'gubi' = loose'; 'sveta' = 'world', but I am not sure if 'svet' means 'world' , or 'light', that is why I put both, one in (), so something like: 'where is the light/world disapearing'
Kazhi, kazhi, kak (kakvo) e : 'kazhi' = 'tell/say', 'kak' = how or 'kakvo'= 'what' I am not sure which one of those two 'kako' is, that is why I put both again, so something like: 'tell me, tell me, what is it' or 'tell me, tell me how is it'
za mene : 'za'= 'for', 'mene'='me', so : 'for me'
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 26-05-2003, 18:49   #128
Sad Little Monkey

OK first our song. it was the last one - Karmen Stavec and it was competely in english. The english title was Nanana (Lep Poletni Dan in original Slovene - Nice Summer Day)... it was translated almost word by word to english... "...He sang to me nananana..." was a translation of the original refrain: "....zapel mi je nananana..." The song sucked anyway, so you didn't miss much.

OK, now the croatian one. I'll make a full tranlation to Slovene and Englsih later. For now just the stuff you've mentioned:

uzalud se trudiљ = Slovene: "Zaman se trudish"
Uzalud means "in vain" in slovene "zaman", and yes the root of the word comes from lud (crazy), trudish se...well it could mean to work, but the word has many meanings: to labour, to exert oneself, to strive, to endeavour... in this case trudish means "trying- to try"... So this sentance would mean: "...Your strugles are in vain..." or "...you are trying for nothing..." as if you won't sucede no matter what you do...

Prekasno sad je da se uchish = Slovene "...Prepozno je zdaj, da se uchish..." You only caugt a part of the sentance. "...da se uchis..." indeed means "to learn", Prekasno/prepozno is "to late"... and "sad/zdaj" means "now".
So the translation is = It's to late to learn now...

Ne sam gora - hmmm im not sure where this is from... I checked the lyrics and maybe it's from the first two verses of this, and the third verse was the one you recognised...
Vishe nisam tvoja,
nisam ona koja
trpi da bi bila voljena

Vishe= "any more" (vech in slovene) Nisam ("I'm not"=feminine form, in Slovene nisem), Tvoja ("yours", in slovene tvoja), so= I'm not yours anymore

nisam("I'm not"- feminine), ona (you lnow this one ), koja ("who"...this is not a real word...I don't know how they are called, "pomozhne besede" "ona koja", means "the one who"-in feminine form)...so this is "I'm not the one who" in slovene: "...nisem ona ki..."

trpi ("suffering", in slovene trpi as well) da bi bila ("in order to be", in slovene "da bi bila"), voljena ("loved" in slovene "ljubljena"), "...is suffering in order to be loved" slovene: "...trpi da bi bila ljubljena..." the word you meant "patient has the same root, but in slovene it is "potrpezhljiv" - "is patient", or "potrpeti=to be patient... I think that this is the word that corresponds with "tarpeliv".

and "gora" is not "forrest". Gora is mountain (In slovene as well). Forrest is "gozd" in slovene or "shuma" in croatian-serbian.

OK, now to Bosnian lyrics:

Lazh mi nishta ne mozhe - slovene: "Lazh mi nich ne more"
you guessed all the words correctly but you missheard some parts so the meaning is a little different. To be honest I misshear a lot when I'm just listening. I didn't even hear this song. I just copy the lyrics...
"lazh" = "a lie" (in slovene the same) the second on is mi not me (and mi means "to me"), If it would be "me" then it would be like you've said ("lie to me")... nishta (you were correct, it's "nothing". In slovene: "nich"), mozhe (correct again, it's "can")... the translation: "A lie can't do nothing to me"

Kada se gubi sve (Haha, I thought it was kada se gubi svet as well, when I listened to it right now...) You're right "svet" = the "world" (also in slovene), but "sve" means "all" (it's "vse" in slovene. And "kada" means "when" not "where" (it's "ko" in slovene)... gubi (you're right it's "loose"; "zgubi" in slovene), so the translation is: "When everything's lost"..." or "when you've lost everything". In slovene= Ko se zgubi vse"

Kazhi, kazhi kako e = Correct. But it's "je" instead of "e" (but the "j" is hard to hear I know). So "'tell me, tell me how is it". In slovene: "povej, povej kako je"

Za mene= Correct. "For me." In slovene "za mene".

EDIT: komaj can mean perhaps also
~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by freddie; 26-05-2003 at 21:12.
Old 26-05-2003, 20:42   #129
Sad Little Monkey

First the bosnian entry

Bosnian lyrics:

Ne brini

Odlazi dan
Ti polako za njim kreni ali sam
Jer izgubiti ceљ igru
Ovu igru koju odavno vec znam

Ne brini, ne brini za mene
Lazh mi nishta ne mozhe
Kazhi, kazhi kako je
Kada se gubi sve

Pred svima govorish da nishta ne patish
Da me ne volish, baby
Sad, vazhi, pokazhi
Da moћeљ bez mene

Jer samo dvije rijeci
Danas ti zhelim reci
Bar, bar, bar za kraj

Ne brini...

Ma samo dvije rijeci
Danas ti zhelim reci
Bar, bar, bar za kraj

(Ne brini, ne brini za mene)
(Lazh mi nishta ne moћe)
Kazhi, kazhi kako je
Kada se gubi sve

Ne brini...

Slovene translation:

Ne Skrbi

Odhaja dan
Ti pochasi pojdi za njim ampak sam
ker bosh izgubil igro
to igro, katero ze od davno poznam

Ne skrbi, ne skrbi za mene
Lazh mi nich ne more
povej, povej kako je
ko se izgubi vse

Pred vsemi govorish, da nich ne trpish
da me ne ljubish, baby
zdaj, vazhi, pokazhi
da zmoresh brez mene

ker samo dve besede
danes ti zhelim povedati
vsaj, vsaj, vsaj za konec

ne skrbi...

samo dve besedi
danes ti zhelim povedati
vsaj, vsaj, vsaj za konec

Ne skrbi, ne skrbi za mene
Lazh mi nich ne more
povej, povej kako je
ko se izgubi vse

ne skrbi...

englsih translation

Dont Worry

The day is going (dissapearing)
You go slowly with him (behind him) but alone
because you will lose the game
This game that I've known for ages

Don't worry, Don't worry about me
A lie can't do nothing to me
say, say how it is
when everything is lost .

You talk infront of everybody, that you are not hurting at all
That you don't love me baby
now, OK, show,
that you can do without me

because only two words
I want to say to you today
at least, at least, at least for the end

Don't worry

just two words
I want to say to you today
at least, at least, at least for the end

(don't worry, don't worry about me)
(a lie can't do nothing to me)
say, say how it is
when everything is lost

don't worry

Maybe Crni could do a croatian transaltion, but I have a felling it would be the same
Oh, yeah: Maybe you could tell me something: what is "vazhi" translated into english. I know what it menas but I can't translate it.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by freddie; 26-05-2003 at 21:10.
Old 26-05-2003, 21:09   #130
Sad Little Monkey

and now the croatioan lyrics

original croatian:

Vishe nisam tvoja

Ja ne trebam nikoga -
da mi govori
kojim putem trebam ravno,
a kojim skrenuti.

I 'ko si ti sada da mi sudish,
uzalud se trudish,
sve je propalo.*

Prekasno sad je da se ushish,
vesh me gubish predugo,
baр predugo...

Refrain:
Vishe nisam tvoja,
nisam ona koja
trpi da bi bila voljena.

Bit їu uvijek svoja,
loshija il' bolja,
al' їu biti sigurna;
u sebe sigurna.

Ja ne trebam nikoga -
da pokazuje.
Shto to trebam, shto se smije,
a shto ne smije.

uzalud se trudish,
sve je propalo.

Prekasno sad je da se uchish,
vech me gubish predugo,
bash predugo...

Refrain

uzalud se trudish,
sve je propalo.

Prekasno sad je da se uchish,
vech me gubish predugo.

Refrain x 2
*propalo means something else but I couldn't find a proper translation. This is close.

Slovene translation:

Nisem Veи Tvoja

Jaz nikogar ne potrebujem-
da mi govori
po katerih poteh moram ravno
in po katerih obrniti

Kdo si ti zdaj da mi sodish?
zaman se trudish
vse je propadlo*

prepozno je zdaj da se uchish
zhe predolgo me izgubljash
pach predolgo

Nisem vech tvoja
nisem tista ki,
trpi, da bi bila ljubljena

Bom za vedno svoja
slabsha ali boljsha
ampak bom sigurna
v sebe sigurna

jaz ne potrebujem nikogar
da pokazhe
kaj jaz rabim, kaj se sme
a kaj ne sme

zaman se trudish
vse je propadlo

pach predolgo

refren

zaman se trudish
vse je propadlo

refren 2x

English transaltion:

I'm not yours anymore

I don't need nobody
to tell me
which path (or way) I have to take straight
and which to turn

but who are you to judge me
you are trying in vain
everything was ruined

It's to late now for you to learn
you have been losing me for to long
just to long

I'm not yours anymore
I'm not the one who
suffers to be loved

I will forever be my own
worse or better
but I'll be sure
sure in myself

I don't need nobody
to show
what I need, what is allowed
and what is not allowed

how are you now to judge me?
You are trying in vain
everything is ruined

It's to late now to learn
just to long...

refrain

how are you now to judge me?
You are trying in vain
everything is ruined

It's to late now for you to learn

refrain 2x
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 27-05-2003, 00:45   #131
Bitchka

Haha, thanks freddie! Really enjoyed the analysis. Here is my coments after reading it. By the way, you can see how I was hearing things, a little bit influenced by Bulgarian, ha ha ha, but never the less- close enough Plus, I never read lyrics to any of the songs until you posted them now, all that I posted was completely from listening to it live, so even better eh?

Quote:
uzalud se trudis<caron> = Slovene: "Zaman se trudish"
Very well, when I said 'you work for nothing' thats exactly what I meant, since we use it the same way, but we say: trudish se za nishto which literaly translated means: 'you try/work for nothing' 'trudish' for us can also means strive, try, in addition to work, 'nishto' for us is 'nothing'
'zaman' sounds very familiar, I think it might be another old word, that I have heard old people use in the villages, but I am not 100% sure, will verify with my mom.

Quote:
Prekasno sad je da se uchish = Slovene "...Prepozno je zdaj, da se uchish..."
Yeah only the second part I guess, but here is the first part for us: kasno e, za da se uchish 'kasno' means 'late', 'too late' for use would be 'tvarde kasno', but the sentance sounds better without the tvarde part. our 'za da' seems very close to your 'zdaj'

Quote:
Vishe= "any more" (vech in slovene) Nisam ("I'm not"=feminine form, in Slovene nisem), Tvoja ("yours", in slovene tvoja), so= I'm not yours anymore
Here it is in Bulgarian: Veche ne sam tvoja - 'veche' alsmost the same as your 'veche', 'ne sam' almost the same as 'nisam(c)/nisem(s)' except it is broken into 2 words, 'ne' is no and 'sam' comes from 'az sam' = 'I am"; 'tvoja' is 100% the same

Quote:
nisam("I'm not"- feminine), ona (you lnow this one ), koja ("who"...this is not a real word...I don't know how they are called, "pomozhne besede" "ona koja", means "the one who"-in feminine form)...so this is "I'm not the one who" in slovene: "...nisem ona ki..."
so I got that one pretty close again, except, again, inspired by Bulgarian- I wrote it as 'ne sam' instead of 'nisam' he he, but when you say it/hear it sounds the same
So in bulgarian it is: Ne sam onazi kojato just as i wrote it in the previous post. 'onazi' and 'kojato' are pretty close to 'ona' and 'koja'

Quote:
trpi ("suffering", in slovene trpi as well) da bi bila ("in order to be", in slovene "da bi bila"), voljena ("loved" in slovene "ljubljena"), "...is suffering in order to be loved" slovene: "...trpi da bi bila ljubljena..." the word you meant "patient has the same root, but in slovene it is "potrpezhljiv" - "is patient", or "potrpeti=to be patient... I think that this is the word that corresponds with "tarpeliv".
Hmm, this one is a tricky one. For suffering we say : strada, we also have potarpi = 'be patient, and 'tarpeliv' is simply patient. If we say : 'po-tarpeliv' = more patient, usually in Bulgarian if you want to say 'more' something, you use po- and then the word : examples- po-barzo = 'faster', po-rano = 'earlier', po-goljam/golyam/goliam = 'bigger' (goliam is translited like this- all 3 are correct, same goes for translitting in russian- because we have a letter that is combination of i+a, or something like ya, ja- ahhh, of course, better way to describe it- like 'Ya soshla s uma' the 'Ya' is that letter, Russians have it too, it's the last letter of the alphabet )
countinue with the translation: da bi bila we have that in Bulgarian = 'in order to be' for female
obichana or you can also say ljubena for 'loved'
So this would be: stradam da buga/bada obichana we wouldnt use 'da bi bila', it is for us more like talking about someone else, if I was talking about myself, then it would be : da bih bila = 'in order for me' in female form, 'da bi bila' - 'in order for her'- something like that. For us 'buda/bada' ('that' vowel again' = 'to be' parvo lice, edinstveno chislo (remember- singular, 1st 'face' = az) in female form.

Quote:
and "gora" is not "forrest". Gora is mountain (In slovene as well). Forrest is "gozd" in slovene or "shuma" in croatian-serbian.
Hmm, funny, gora for us is forest. planina is 'mountain' for us. and shuma for us means 'dry leaves'. So there is always 'shuma' in the 'gora' especially in the autumn, he he.

Same post-analysis will come for the Bosnian lyrics tomorrow, also I will translate those songs in Bulgarian as well,but now I gotta go back to work.

edit: just to add, by the way vazhi for us means 'to count' tova ne vazhi = 'this doesnt count'. A synonym would be: schita se or zachita se.
The way it is in the song though, hmm, sounds like it would be haide/hajde , could be translited either of those 2 ways, in bulgarian, meanning 'come on' maybe synonym for 'haide' would be davai/davaj also could be translited either of those 2 ways. When you tell someone: davaj, davaj it means: c'mon, c'mon or 'lets go', or 'do it' same for haide, haide

Same for Russian, at least for 'davaj' - Yulia uses it all the time, since she is very impatient, ha ha ha, she's always telling someone: 'davaj, davaj'

Pred vsichki govorish, che ne stradash (we also have patish but it is not as used)
Che ne me obichash, baby
Sega, haide, pokazhi
Che mozhesh bez mene
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!

Last edited by coolasfcuk; 27-05-2003 at 01:16.
Old 27-05-2003, 01:37   #132
Sad Little Monkey

Ha, ha I know what you're saying... I get inspired by slovene many times when I'm listening to something russian or even serbo-croatian (sometimes the words sound like one thing but mean something different). It's always best if you have it writen down.

OK, so you understood trudish, very good. I sometimes find hard to translate such words that have so many meanings but I guess you understand what that one is all about.

Looks like slovene and Bulgarain have much more similar expresion for "any more" vech - veche then serbo-croat = Vishe (but it similar none the less). Usualy it's the other way around.

About "Suffering": we have strada - stradash as well. Or nastrada but I think it's not a proper gramatical term (wait it is just found it in the dictionary! ), but trpeti is much more common.
You have potarpi as be patient? Hehe we have potrpi, and what you have tarpljiv we have potrpezhljiv.
That word that you used -patish - that's croatian for suffering, and also old-slovene.

da bi bila - yup I know what you're saying there... you would say this for 1. person (oseba/lice) = jaz (az for you), and not for 3. person (oseba/lice) =ona...
However this could work in Slovene and croatian, although the sentance is formulated like this: I'm not the one who is suffering TO BE LOVED. I'm not sure why this is so; this is some heavy grammatics already - have to check my old schoolbooks why this is so.

Gora... this is really weird. Well we say gora for a small mountain (like 300-600m), while big mountains would be called - planina, like yours. I can't imagine how forrest became a small mountain in the process . Dry leaves are shuma, but only in dialect and only in certain regions.

vazhi - Yup. To ne vazhi= this doesn't count. (We also have to ne velja ). but I know it has a lot of meanings this word.
hajde - haha You have that word? Thats funny. It's c'mon yes. This is croatian, we have ajde, but when we talk we always say hajde!. This is another popular one with me - I use it every day. Could that be vazhi in that song? Like a C'mon? It is possible, but let crni decide on that one. I'm not really sure.

Ohh. it's so late again. 2.30AM. And I have school tomorrow.

EDIT: I have to write this: ajde, ajde !!! or daj, daj!!! those are almost like theme words for me (I'm very impationed as well). So your comparison to russian davaj, davaj is our daj, daj... I always smile when Yulia says that. Sometimes when russians say this very fast it almost sounds like daj, daj, so you can see how we have "eaten the middle of this word. Otherwise daj means "give" to us.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by freddie; 27-05-2003 at 01:46.
Old 27-05-2003, 15:40   #133
Bitchka

Not too much time, so very fast reply:

he he, we have daj as well. For us it also means 'give' but we use it like you daj, daj it is basically a synonym, or shorter version for davaj, davaj.
Also, we have ajde , which is a synonym or shorter version for [/b]hajde[/b] See, I think bulgaria is in the best position for those terms, cause seems like we have all of them - from Slovene to Russian
ajde sega- davaj, davaj- otivam da rabotja = 'c'mon now- lets go, lets go- I am going to work'

edit: freddie I think all of us are impatient, ha ha, 'cause I am too, since I use those all the time: 'ajde', 'hajde', 'daj', and 'davaj', 'opa-opa'
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 27-05-2003, 23:36   #134
Der Meister

Send a message via AIM to Vicious
Miroslav Satan
Old 28-05-2003, 01:41   #135
Sad Little Monkey

Ha, ha, ha... so Miro is a hockey player

Well he does kind of belong to the slavic thread, because he's chech but what has he have to do with the slavic languages?

But I admit it - those chechs and slovaks are real good in ice-hockey. As well as Russians and Ukrainians... To bad that is the one quality that slovenes didn't inherit after the other slavic nations

Cool - daj, daj does mean "give, give" in word for word translation but here we also use it as "ajde, ajde" ("c'mon, c'mon")
We also have "opa, opa", but I say "op, op" <---but this isn't really a word I think.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 28-05-2003, 01:48   #136
Der Meister

Send a message via AIM to Vicious
Miro's Slovak, he plays for the Slovak national teams at the Olympics and World Championships...
Old 28-05-2003, 01:57   #137
Bitchka

freddie, yes we can say 'op, op', once again as short version for 'opa, opa'
how about this one, I am teaching bulgarian to my friend that is coming with me to bulgaria in 2.5 weeks, and yesterday I was explaining this word to him: hrupkam which is one of those words, I forgot what you call them, that originates from 'sounds' 'hrupkam' means 'to chew something that is crunchy, which makes noise like 'hrup, hrup, hrup'. Do you have that? I guess in english a similar case owuld be 'gulp', and the sound that comes out when you are 'guuuulping' something.
dzhvakam is another one of those words for us- we use it to discribe someone smaking a gum, or say it was raining and your shoes got super wet, and when you wak they make that sound 'dzhvak, dzhvak' - we say: your shoues 'dzhvakat'.

freddie, dont worry, bulgaria sucks at hockey as well
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 28-05-2003, 11:16   #138
Sad Little Monkey

cool: Ha, ha of course he have them. We called those "sound" words "medmeti"

hrupkam - We say hrustam, we hear eating chips like hrust, hrust, hrust Come to think of it...it does sound more like hrup, hrup... You're closer to the actual sound
On the packages of chips it also always says: "Hrustljavi chips".... so the one that makes that sound...

dzhvakam - Of course. zhvekam is our word. That is in slang. Proper grammar word would be zhvechim, but nobody EVER uses it.
Everybody likes zhvekam better. We like it so much that we even gave bubble gum a pet name zhvaka or zhvakacha. The proper gramatical term would be zhvechilni gumi but again it's never used in real language... Only zhvaka.
Yup and for that wet sound shoes as well. I wouldn't have thought of it if you didn't mention it first.

And looks like hockey skills avoided all the southern slavic people. Only western and eastern got the skills. That's not fair
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 28-05-2003, 19:46   #139
Echoes among the Stars

wow, thanks freddie for posting the lyrics

I had fun listening to the songs and trying to understand what specific words mean, too, but I had the disadvantage of an English translation next to them

I was 98% positive Ne brini, ne brini za mene was a "don't [imperative] to/for me," but I was totally thrown by could it be, could it be, is it true. The same with all the other verses: pred svima govoris I thought could be "before something you say/said"; da nista ne patis - "nothing will something (please?)"; i da me ne volis babe "and you don't want me baby," but I couldn't figure out how the translation had anything to do with that - stupid me for even looking at it

Las is like losch' in Russian? Yeah, of course, duh, now that I think about it I didn't get it before, though

Anyway, thanks again!

Last edited by russkayatatu; 28-05-2003 at 19:55.
Old 28-05-2003, 19:57   #140
Bitchka

russkayatatu, wow! Great job! You surprise me, my congrats to you. For someone that is not Slavic- WOW- ...speachless, lol
So, did you only study Russian, or other Slavic languages as well?
By the way- did you pick the words out just listening to them, or reading, because if it is just listening- I am even more surprised

In Bulgarian: льжи = lazhi / luzhi 'that vowel' = lie

freddie, we can also say hruskam, it is a synonym of hrupkam I guess we use one or the other depending on what you're talking about- for chips as you said, we will use hrupkam, but for pretzels- we call those soleti- how about you?- we will say hruskavi soleti

edit: while we are on food, I just listened to this Russian kids song, from catroons when I was little, and in it they say:

'S dniom Rozhdenya pozdravit
I naverno ostavit
Mne v podarok piatsot Eskimo '

Translated in Bulgarian:

'Za rozhdeniya den shte me pozdravi
I naverno shte ostavi
Na men v podarak petstotin Eskimo'

English:

'Will wish me Happy Birthday
And probably give
Me as presant -500 Eskimo'

that made me remember- Eskimo is an awsome kind of ice-cream we used to have when I was little. So we call ice-cream: sladoled which comes from sladko = 'sweet' and led = ice, so literally 'sweet-ice'
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!

Last edited by coolasfcuk; 28-05-2003 at 20:47.
ReplyPost New Thread