Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU Forum Archive English forum archive Tatu In Podnebesnaya

Death and Birth of Group "Tatu" // Interesting insight: How Tatu will exist w/o J & L

Old 05-03-2004, 23:34   #1
Участник

Death and Birth of Group "Tatu" // Interesting insight: How Tatu will exist w/o J & L

You are free to Copy & Paste this article as you please. It's not like I translate for leechers [people who like to copy stuff to other forums/sites, may you be damned]. I translate for TatySite.net members and myself.

<-- for TatySite.net members.

Death and Birth of Group "Tatu"
[I highlighted some stuff which is really GOOD. The whole articles is good, but some of you may not have patience to go through the whole thing, so, read the highlights.]

Once upon a time Ivan Shapovalov decided to create a pop-group Tatu. Ivan Nikolaevich [Ivan’s middle name – Kate.], found the vocals, found the money for the first music video, mixed it all together, made some magical tricks only he alone know – and took over the world. Everything that happened afterwards is known to everybody – even those that never took interest in pop-music and couldn’t tell apart Jasmine from Alsou, and Madonna from Britney Spears. Tatu became the first Russian duo to achieve the world wide success, and the fact guarantees them a respectable place in the history. After the fact of the birth of the phenomenon was fixated, and Tatu took the full advantage that “200km/h in the Wrong Lane” (which is a masterpiece according to Alla Pugacheva and ‘frozen” punk-rockers themselves), reporters and the show-offs of pop-culture started to discuss the future of this bizarre, never before seen “organism”, which was controlled by soft to the core “anti-producer”. According to the contract with Universal Musiс Russia, the second album of the group will be ready on the 14th of March, 2004. Three months before the due date, the preparations for the interesting (although not original) show in the studio of “Podnebesnaya” began – the recording of the second album in front of the cameras. One and half months before the dead-line not even one song was recorded for the new album – the occupants of Podnebesnaya were too busy engaging in philosophical discussions. And on the 6th of February, the singers of the duo, Julia Volkova and Lena Katina, announced to Ivan Nikolaevich that there are leaving the group. Quite a situation.

Of course, Tatu surprised everyone yet again. The falling apart of the group almost on live television – the world, it seems, has never seen anything like this. Although, in itself, what happened to the duo is no big deal. Young and passionate, Julia and Lena made a big mistake – they voluntarily gave up the mightiest brand in Russian after just getting used to it. By themselves as the singers they are nothing. There are more then enough 19 year old girls in our country that can sing. Julia has problems with vocal chords, she is hysterical and unpredictable – it’s doubtful that anyone will want to do anything with her. Lena, on the other hand, is too soft and too shy, not to mention the fact that she is not a model. To sum it all up, the vocals of Tatu (now, most likely, ex-vocals) will most likely never interest us as pop-singers. More interesting, though, is what Shapovalov is planning to do, – it was obvious during the TV broadcasting, that as a result of the fact that the girls left him, Ivan Nikolaevich was very lost. It is understandable, he is the one who will have to deal with the money aspect of things. He will have to give answers to Universal, give answer to STS, give answers to tens of millions of Tatu fans in the world.

But it seems that Ivan was lost for a short time. He is famous for creating culture in the moment of time, without studying market prices, strategic planning, or consultation with expects. In one of the interviews the following was made up: the album will contain 12 songs, which will be performed by different people, thanks to the fact that there are a lot of people wanting to replace Tatu, and the vocal and artistic requirements for the wannabees are not high. So basically Ivan solved the problem for himself, now he will make up some long, logical explanations of his decision. Such decision can also satisfy Universal Music: the album will say “Tatu”, and who’s singing is case #80 [meaning no one cares who is singing – Kate]. This is show-business.

The only two things that will cause some set-backs are concerts and video-clips. The audience is used to Julia and Lena, it is harder to substitute their appearance with someone else, then to substitute their voices. But video can be made with parts of old videos, as to the concerts, Tatu rarely gave them, and most likely never will in the future.

So, nothing really happened to group Tatu. For example in group “Blestyaschie” [Russian pop-group – Kate] not one member is left from the times the group started. In “Via Gra” only one member is left from the beginning, and even she is not the key player. This is not stopping the groups from feeling good, and even gaining popularity. I have no reason to think that something extraordinary happened to Tatu. If Shapovalov will want the group to continue existing, it will exist. And it is even possible that it’ll be better then before (knocks on wood). The questions is, will Shapovalov want it to. Even though I met Ivan a few times, I am not an expert in his psyche. I cannot say whether Tatu is the project of his life, or whether he walks through life laughing. I can say one thing with a good portion of confidence: Shapovalov obviously got lucky with Tatu. Even ignoring the separate ingenious tricks (like the famous phrase on the T-shirts), it is impossible to predict such success alone is impossible in the current mass-culture. And since the phenomenon of Tatu is relying of the luck of it’s creator, I won’t be waiting for any deliberate promotional plans from him. In the case of Shapovalov you have to rely on his luck and sixth-sense, and not on the production or marketing genius. Then everything will work out.

”I am not group ‘Tatu’”, – said Shapovalov in the finale of “Tatu in Podnebesnaya”. Personally I don’t believe his announcement.

Maksim Kononenko
Gazeta

Translated by katbeidar for TatySite.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed, and will share some views, not just "thank you for the translation, Kate".

Edit: fixed some typos.

Last edited by Kate; 05-03-2004 at 23:42.

Old 06-03-2004, 00:07   #2
viva la scientology!

Wow...that was a great article. Especially the last sentence. Very cool.

I'm starting to think this way too. Many bands go through transformations and I'm sure their fans say "oh, nothing will ever be the same..." and now look at a band like Destiny's Child that is even bigger than before. But it's difficult to imagine Tatu without Lena and Yulia. Tatu's image wasn't of a band, but of two girls in "love." The whole image was manipulated around them. That's why it is hard to move on to new faces. Something just won't feel the same. I'd rather have Tatu be over than to include new people.
I think the article is right, Ivan is Tatu. He has so much input and so many ideas. As much as I dislike him for his strange attitude and lack of skills, I am interested in his creativity. I don't mind a Podnebesnaya CD of many "Ivan" artists because I like his work.
What also struck me is the bit about Lena and Yulia making a dumb desicion, which I think it is. Solo careers seem uncertain. I don't think anyone really cares about Lena or Yulia (apart from us), but people care about "Tatu". It's all or nothing.
It also disappoints me to see how easily Lena and Yulia gave it up. So much for fighting through struggles and having courage. I don't know, maybe they will stick together as Tatu and Ivan will be fired....but why not stick it out? The band is also their creation and their effort. I would feel like I have a duty to work it out, because it's my band. I guess they don't feel the same.

oh, and thanks for the translation
~~~~~~~~~~~
la profundidad.

Old 06-03-2004, 00:27   #3
iMod

Thanks for the translation Kate

Well, i agree that it's going to be difficult for Yulia and Lena to continue alone, but i don't think there was a future for them with Ivan anyway. I think that one of the reason not much was done those past months from Ivan's side is because he lost interest in the project and Yulia and Lena. I think he got tired of them and was thinking about other projects, he had no new ideas for Tatu. So i don't think it's fair to say that Yulia and Lena made a mistake because they were going nowhere with Ivan anyway, they had to do *something*. And people keep saying that Ivan has a lot of creativity, but as far as Tatu is concerned Ivan hasn't had a creative idea in a looooooooooong time, the project was in a deadend.

Now, i must admit that i'd like to see Ivan to try to replace Yulia and Lena by other girls. It would be interesting to see Yulia and Lena working under a new name and competing with the new Tatu girls, it would be like having 2 Tatus, and with 2 of them, maybe we could actually get some new material, or maybe we'll just get twice more PR stunts, lol.

I don't agree that Yulia and Lena are nothing outside of Tatu, even if they start working under a new name, they will always be the girls formely known as Tatu. A lot of people will continue to follow the girls, not because of the name, but because of *them*.

Edit: I'm not really interested in the compilation album, i have no interest in "various" artist.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]

Last edited by haku; 06-03-2004 at 00:35.

Old 06-03-2004, 00:34   #4
Участник

Re: Death and Birth of Group "Tatu" // Interesting insight: How Tatu will exist w/o J &

Thanks for the translation katbeidar. I have to say I think the views of the author of this article are rubbish.
Quote:
Originally posted by katbeidar
By themselves as the singers they are nothing.
We’ve heard this before and I strongly disagree. I think people vastly underrate how good they are.

Old 06-03-2004, 00:40   #5
The Bunny Prince

Send a message via AIM to nasnedagoniat
I sort of agree. I feel horrible to say that after a while, the faces of Yulia and Lena will fade away if they continue with other producers(in other words, their initial spark won't be as present). No one seems to understand that what Ivan did to make Tatu popular wasn't just simple marketing and PR that anyone else can do. Ivan can only tell why Tatu was so popular and their music is so addictive and hypnotic. It wasn't as much luck and good timing as it was using what he knows best(psychology). No other Russian producers can just pick up Yulia and Lena and have the same success.

If it is true that Ivan has five other projects, he should not continue Tatu under new people. It would be best if he just fiddled around with the image of the other artists to fill in where Yulia and Lena left off. I also believe Yulia and Lena made a big mistake IF they have actually left Ivan (and this isn't just psychologically induced confusion). It will be very sad if the two people closest to the man didn't even realize the reality of their success.

Last edited by nasnedagoniat; 06-03-2004 at 00:45.

Old 06-03-2004, 00:44   #6
Участник

RowerB, I agree with the author's statement. I quote another few lines that the author wrote:

Quote:
Julia has problems with vocal chords, she is hysterical and unpredictable – it’s doubtful that anyone will want to do anything with her.
Quote:
Lena, on the other hand, is too soft and too shy, not to mention the fact that she is not a model.
Julia and Lena are only good when they are together. I cannot see them having successful solo careers at all, for the reasons Maksim Kononenko stated in his article.

For me, listening to Julia or Lena on their own will be like listening to some recycled, second-hand artists. It'll be wierd.

But, I'll be happy to see new girls take Julia and Lena's place in Tatu. It'll be fresh, interesting and fun. Like Maksim said, Russia is full of 19 year old girls with awesome voices. Julia and Lena's voices are nice, but not "wow". At least not for me.

Last edited by Kate; 06-03-2004 at 00:53.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:52   #7
Lena's boytoy

Send a message via AIM to Celtic Jobber
I have no interest in tATu without Yulia and Lena, I will however follow both girls' post-tATu careers (especially Lena's).

If Ivan can make tATu a success with two new girls, then he truly is a genius, but I'll never accept them.

Thanks for the translation Kate.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Back from an extended hiatus...

Old 06-03-2004, 10:04   #8
Primetime Anchor

Thanks, Kate.

Ivan said himself that t.A.T.u. are Yulia and Lena. He's not going to make another t.A.T.u. No worries.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Olga | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ ritzer@hotmail.com ]

Latest News:
| Tatu gallery | Current News | News Archive

Old 06-03-2004, 10:45   #9
you'll need love

Quote:
You are free to Copy & Paste this article as you please. It's not like I translate for leechers [people who like to copy stuff to other forums/sites, may you be damned]. I translate for TatySite.net members and myself.
If so then skip the part completely, please. We know your view in the matter, and there is no point to pointing it out again and again.

Thank you for the translation though. I might read it one day even.

Quote:
Ivan said himself that t.A.T.u. are Yulia and Lena. He's not going to make another t.A.T.u. No worries.
happy news Thank you for those, forre
~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't waste your time on me you're already
the voice inside my head

Old 06-03-2004, 10:50   #10
Участник

Quote:
Originally posted by nasnedagoniat
It will be very sad if the two people closest to the man didn't even realize the reality of their success.
Yulia defended Ivan on her birthday when her father was trying to run him down.

Quote:
Originally posted by katbeidar
Julia and Lena are only good when they are together.
I hope they stay together whatever happens, ideally with Neformat, but when I heard their voices on the New Years Eve collaboration thing, I realised they sound great doing any style of music.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:22   #11
Участник

Thank you very much katbeidar for translating this!

The author makes some great points and it's a very well written, interesting article. I agree that Ivan is a unique, excentric producer with crazy, brilliant ideas, but he's not an alchemist. As Ivan said himself a while ago on a Russian talkshow; he saw something in the girls he wanted to show to the world. Ivan said the same thing about Demyan, who has a very unique personality. Similarly with Tatu, the project is based on the girls' strong personalities, charisma etc - Ivan (&co) developed the shape and forms around the group. The author seems to miss that one of the key aspects to Tatu's success is precisely due to these two girls carrying the project. I also think the girls' voices are underestimated. They don't have the most technically great voices and Yulia has problems with her vocal chords etc, but they certainly have very distinguished timbres and that accounts for very much.

I'll continue to be sceptical about this whole conflict, but if it turns out to have been true all along, I think that the first rumour about Sergej Pimenov being asked to become Tatu's new producer sounded like a pretty interesting idea.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:54   #12
Участник

Send a message via ICQ to nath Send a message via MSN to nath Send a message via Skype™ to nath
thank you for the translation, Kate.

Old 06-03-2004, 16:46   #13
I don't waste my time

think it's unlikely the girls will succeed if they go on with solo careers. I don't think so.
But if they keep singing together, and THE SAME STYLE of music they did before, I don't see why not having success - even if under a different name. And I'm sure they've learned a lot of tricks from Ivan on how to get attention.
I agree with haku, the project wasn't going anywhere, everything was going too slow with Ivan - and you can't be slow in the music industry, especially after you had a lot of success, you just have to take that success and turn it into more success quickly and stay on top. I mean, I remember the girls saying, when they were in the US promo tour, that they were already recording their new album in Moscow back then. That is in February 2003 - they only started to record the album a year later, and still in a very slow and chaotic atmosphere. And while losing time without releasing any new material, they (well, Ivan!) made the girls look like clowns because of so many ridiculous 'scandals' and PR stunts.

Old 06-03-2004, 17:35   #14
Участник

Thanks katbeidar
this sounds interesting... <-- to you!

Old 06-03-2004, 22:52   #15
no....

They've said it a million times "Yulia and Lena are Tatu"

There isn't anyway around that.... and well, i'm not thrilled about the "Tatu Album" with other singers in it.... not at all.

although, everything is so contridictary, i don't know what to believe anymore

Old 06-03-2004, 23:37   #16
enter sadman

Send a message via Skype™ to crni
Quote:
although, everything is so contridictary, i don't know what to believe anymore
word! we've all came to a "trust no one" situation

btw, tnx kate for the article and forre for the heads up
~~~~~~~~~~~
030904 - worst day of my life
.:ignorance is a bliss:.
.:truth is just an excuse for the lack of imagination:.

Old 07-03-2004, 00:02   #17
Участник

Quote:
Originally posted by forre
Ivan said himself that t.A.T.u. are Yulia and Lena.
Quote:
Originally posted by convol
Similarly with Tatu, the project is based on the girls' strong personalities, charisma etc - Ivan (&co) developed the shape and forms around the group. The author seems to miss that one of the key aspects to Tatu's success is precisely due to these two girls carrying the project.
Very perceptive statements indeed. Too many people tend to forget this unfortunately. Thanks for the reminder.

Interesting article. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2004, 15:49   #18
motylik

Send a message via ICQ to Lena410
thanks for the tranlation katbeidar!

I thought about this mess and honestly I start thinking that there's no tatu without ivan nor without lena and yulia. I have no idea what exaclty went wrong between them but I would appreciate if they would continue together.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Asking the right questions will make all the doubts go away." ~ German teacher
"Having the right doubts will make all the questions go away." ~ My best(est) friend ^^

Old 08-03-2004, 00:16   #19
kis$ it

Send a message via AIM to Lux Send a message via MSN to Lux Send a message via Yahoo to Lux Send a message via Skype™ to Lux
yeahhooo thanks kate this is more uplifting...
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Complete™ forever

I never thought it would be this clear | Lux [ light-ness@hotmail.com ]

Old 08-03-2004, 10:25   #20
my iron lung

Send a message via Yahoo to febrika
thank u kate !

Quote:
Originally posted by convol
The author seems to miss that one of the key aspects to Tatu's success is precisely due to these two girls carrying the project.
very well said convol
~~~~~~~~~~~
"buzz lightyear to starcommand, starcommand come in"