Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Digital camera - good or bad experience?

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 27-05-2006, 20:58   #1
you'll need love

Digital camera - good or bad experience?

Since I'm looking for a new digital camera (since my old one decided not to work durring my grandparents 50year wedding celebration), and haven't really paid attention to the latest models, I was wondering if any of you have good or bad experiences with Canon Ixus60?

(I wanted to ask in the related thread, but we managed to get that one closed )

I have my heart set on a Canon this time. Since my Sony let me down
There is also the "bigger" version Ixus70, but besides the pixel I don't think there is a difference?

Since I named the thread so that it can be used in generel I better say the model I have that the moment: Sony cybershot DSC-P52 - It's okay most of the time. Except when really needed.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't waste your time on me you're already
the voice inside my head
Old 27-05-2006, 21:09   #2
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Ew. Why buy a mini anyway? There's always compromises in quality, just cause they have to make smaller parts to fit in the casing (not to mention the lense is never as good as in a proper sized cam), plus you pay more just for having it smaller. If I were you I'd buy something larger - I am an avid Olympus fan myself - any model from the mju series wouldn't disappoint imo. Stay away from Sony though (these new models with Carl Zeiss lenses) - I really dislike what they're doing with the colour reproduction - they look all washed out. Or maybe I'm just too used to Olympus lense artificial colour enchancement. Either way I don't like the Sony. If we're talking 6mp models (non-slim ones) Canon A700 is a safe bet as well - I'd bet my left testicle it'll make better pics than the IXUS.

If you're intent on buying a slim then I'd suggest a Kodak. I dunno about the moder IXUS models but the previous ones had extremely fragile LCD screens which broke on every ever so slight touch. Maybe they ficed that issue in the new ones, but I doubt it since LCD specifications itself remained the same.

EDIT: Oh I forgot: I'm not really a fan of this HighMP race. Many people equal Higher MP with better quality which is not the case in the slightest. Higher MP only increases the resolution (and hence the size) of the pic. Quality of the lense is the real factor in determining pciture quality. Actually high MP might be a downfall in certain cases - some companies just use cheap highMP CCDs to cut the cost down to a minimum (this showed nicely on previous generation of IXUS cams where the 3MP model actually made better pics then the 4MP one).
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 27-05-2006, 21:16   #3
you'll need love

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie
I dunno about the moder IXUS models but the previous ones had extremely fragile LCD screens which broke on every ever so slight touch.
ouch.. doesn't sound too good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie
Ew. Why buy a mini anyway?
cos it's going on a holiday. I love the camera in my cellphone because it's easy to keep close by. I'm not travelling through Dublin with a big camera
~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't waste your time on me you're already
the voice inside my head
Old 27-05-2006, 21:26   #4
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Hmmm. I see. In that case I'd go with this. Schneider-Kreuznach lenses were an absolute bomb in their last generations. I'm convinced they're still great in slim market. IXUS is still a risk because of it's fragility, though I doubt it takes worse pics than Kodak to be honest. Kodak should be somewhat less exprensive as well. At least thats the case here.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 28-05-2006, 14:24   #5
U Should Go Ahead. Suffer

Send a message via MSN to KellyJ Send a message via Yahoo to KellyJ
Im a photographer and the Canon Ixus60 I think is good. I never have had any problems with it. Although Im not one for digital I like the old fashion drop your film in and dark room way.
~~~~~~~~~~~
And A Rose By Any Other Name Is Just As Sweet
Old 29-05-2006, 02:33   #6
Участник

Send a message via MSN to razormaid
I'd always say definitely stay away from Sony, mostly because of that damn memory stick thing - you pay so much more for so much less MB space!

My boyfriend has an Ixus70, and it seems pretty good - plenty of M-pixels and features. Quite idiot proof too, compact and portable.

I'm a photographer, so when I shoot digital I'm shooting Nikon D-SLRs- I've recommended the compact Nikons to people in the past, but I can't really say I've seen anything that make them better than the equivalent Canons (except that I tend to be brand-loyal to Nikon .. ha!)

My friend has a Panasonic Lumix (I think it has a Zeiss lense) and it has good M-pixels and the ability to shoot in 3 formats up to panoramic. The shots taken on it look good on close inspection in photoshop.

I know there are lots of cameras with Carl Zeiss and other good quality lenses:- a good lense is important, but so's the electronics. I'm not sure if I'd really go with a little known brand that has a Carl Zeiss lense.

I think the best thing to do is go to a big camera store and get them to let you try a few cameras out. Find out which cameras you feel comfortable using and check the quality.

(hint: if you can shoot near some daylight, so you're in a brighter light situation, do that - test the flash and in darker light situations too. Alot of cameras have a zoom function when previewing on the LCD screen so zoom right in and see how good the images look at close range - alot of bad cameras tend to look not so smooth, grainy / noisy, and bad details in the dark and lighter areas.)
~~~~~~~~~~~
Heterosexually challenged gender bender
Old 29-05-2006, 07:11   #7
Primetime Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by razormaid
Panasonic Lumix (I think it has a Zeiss lense)
Normally they use Leica with stabilizer but it doesn't help much as the processor doesn't deliver the expected quality.

Canon has an overall good rating on all levels. Go for it.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Olga | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ ritzer@hotmail.com ]

Latest News:
| Tatu gallery | Current News | News Archive
Old 29-05-2006, 08:21   #8
Sad Little Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by razormaid
... alot of bad cameras tend to look not so smooth, grainy / noisy, and bad details in the dark and lighter areas...
See that's exactly the experience I had with Sony cams equipped with Carl Zeiss lense, for some reason. And I was really bewildered as well, cause I expected great things from this lense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forre
Normally they use Leica with stabilizer but it doesn't help much as the processor doesn't deliver the expected quality.
No? Blah. I had high hopes for these Image Stabilizer thingies.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 29-05-2006, 15:35   #9
Участник

Send a message via MSN to razormaid
I agree with Forre - go for canon.

I honestly haven't had much experience with compact digitals, and the results never look as good as a dedicated D-SLR, but I've worked on images that clients send my way from compacts and the canons always look the best.

The Ixus range is really small and convenient, but I've been really impressed with what you can squeeze out of a powershot s70/s80... example: we ended up using some snaps from the powershot for large A3 prints because they didn't get the right shots on the Nikon D2X and they were perfectly adequate:- you couldn't really spot which ones came from the SLR and which came from the compact.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Heterosexually challenged gender bender
ReplyPost New Thread