заичонок

UK to Reconsider Eurovision Approach

I reckon we should get The Darkness to do our next Eurovision entry

Quote:
BBC tries to expunge Eurovision shame

Matt Wells
Wednesday December 31, 2003
The Guardian

Nul points? Never again. The BBC is to give the kiss of life to the torpid selection process for the Eurovision song contest in an attempt to avoid a repeat of 2003's humiliating defeat, and to reignite the fading British interest in the long-running competition.
Learning from the success of shows such as Pop Idol, the corporation is to turn the little-watched Song for Europe programme - currently consigned to the graveyard of Sunday afternoons - into a big-budget Saturday night special.

It is to be renamed Eurovision: Making Your Mind Up, in homage to the smash hit Bucks Fizz song that won the contest in 1981. Terry Wogan, whose gently cynical commentary has been associated with Eurovision night since the contest began in 1956, will be joined by a young female presenter to bring in a youth audience and to inject greater enthusiasm into the event.

The motivation to revamp the selection process came when Britain scored zero for the first time in the contest's history in 2003. The result was partly due to the poor performance on the night of Jemini, the previously unknown duo whose song was written by Martin Isherwood, the head of music at Sir Paul McCartney's "fame school" in Liverpool.

Britain last won in 1997 with Love Shine a Light, performed by Katrina and the Waves. But recent entries have been characterised by a middle-of-the-road blandness that has proved too asinine even for the notoriously conservative Eurovision audience. Much of the blame for this lack of ambition is laid at the door of Song for Europe's place in the television schedule, and the resulting age profile of those who vote for the winning entry: the Sunday afternoon BBC1 audience is older on average than the typical audience for Fame Academy, Popstars or Pop Idol.

The format of Eurovision: Making Your Mind Up, will be familiar to viewers of such shows. Six bands will each perform a different song, and a panel of judges will provide commentary on the entries; then viewers will be invited to vote for their favourite by phone or SMS text. The winner, who will represent Britain at the 2004 event in Turkey, will be revealed on the same evening.

Cat Deeley, Zoe Ball, Claudia Winkleman and Laurene Laverne are among the names being considered by BBC bosses to front the show with Wogan.

Further details are still being worked out between the BBC and the Sony record company, which will release the winning song on CD, and it is not yet decided whether any well-known bands will be involved. It is thought that a number of bands have already been approached.

A BBC source said: "The British public might have secretly loved the fact that we got nul points last time, but we think the joke would wear a bit thin two years in a row. There are lots of talented songwriters out there and it's just not good enough to rest on our laurels, treating it as a national joke."
~~~~~~~~~~~
You've cried enough this lifetime, my beloved polar bear
Old 31-12-2003, 08:22   #2
Harrumph.

As a true gay lover of the contest, I say that if I bump into Jemini ever in my life, I'll wound up in jail for assasination with a dull spoon.

But what country is hosting EST the year that starts tomorrow?
Old 31-12-2003, 08:25   #3
iMod

Quote:
Originally posted by darje
But what country is hosting EST the year that starts tomorrow?
The one that won it the year that ends today.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]
Old 31-12-2003, 08:36   #4
заичонок

Quote:
As a true gay lover of the contest, I say that if I bump into Jemini ever in my life, I'll wound up in jail for assasination with a dull spoon.
Go Darje!
One of my gay pals used to get his parents to video it every year and send the video out to him in Japan
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 31-12-2003, 09:15   #5
Harrumph.

LenochkaO, that is because the EST belongs to us perverted, yet lovable homosexuals.

haku, but wasn't that Turquese girl disqualified?
Old 31-12-2003, 09:24   #6
iMod

Quote:
haku, but wasn't that Turquese girl disqualified?
Oh no. Her victory stands. Besides, we can't mess with those Turkish people, they get easily pissed off. We won't let them join the European Union in the foreseeable future if ever, we can't take away the ESC from them, we have to let them something.

And it could be fun, maybe that Umit dude will be the host.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]
Old 31-12-2003, 09:32   #7
заичонок

Quote:
LenochkaO, that is because the EST belongs to us perverted, yet lovable homosexuals.
Loveable? Definitely! Perverted? 'snot the word I would have used, sweetness. Anyway, I thought 'perverted' was one of those irregular verbs:

I am liberated
You are kinky
He is perverted

~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 31-12-2003, 11:03   #8
Harrumph.

LenochkaO, do you know how much I love you? But yeah, I'm perverted. I see have friends with habits that'd make your hair curl on end.

(No, none of them is a vampire.)
Old 31-12-2003, 12:24   #9
заичонок

Quote:
LenochkaO, do you know how much I love you?
You do? Yay! You've made my New Year's Eve, darling Darje!

Quote:
But yeah, I'm perverted. I see have friends with habits that'd make your hair curl on end.
I consider myself utterly unshockable

Quote:
(No, none of them is a vampire.)
Hmmm...I'm not known as "The Bat" just because I'm short-sighted, y'know

Nearly time to go and party - I'm all sparkled up, so I hope it's a good night Have an excellent one, Darje - hope next year is a fantastic one for you!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 04-01-2004, 11:42   #10
no....

Quote:
I reckon we should get The Darkness to do our next Eurovision entry
thegurgi loves the darkness :: proceeds to sing in his best falsetto [which is a pretty kick ass falsetto] "i believe in a thing called love" ::

I love that song, i love their album :: sings "Get your hand off of my woman, mother F**********ckerr" ::

Anyway

Good for the UK
Old 04-01-2004, 13:27   #11
Just say maybe

It promises to be an interesting year for Eurovision. No, really.

2005 sees the fiftieth aniversary of the contest. Accordingly a number of broadcasters are willing to go to greater lengths than usual to win, so as to secure the perceived prestige of hosting the anniversary event. This promises an amusing mix of minor celebrities will be sent to embarrass themselves, in the misguided belief that they might still have fans left to vote for them.

This is, of course, much better than complete no marks making a mess of things, For one thing a few flagging careers might finally be killed off. Plus some acts will never, ever be able to perform live. The fear in their eyes will be delicious. Possible entries for the UK include Emma Bunton and Dina Carroll. And, heaven only knows how they're still going, Supersister.

Then again, it's now looking more likely that the UK will send another unknown act. This time they will be backed by a song from one of the nation's more proven songwriting stables. It's an irritatingly sensible approach.

Germany are keen to send Scooter. Somehow, they still haven't noticed that the title of their song 'Jigga Jigga' is wildly offensive. Ho-hum.

I want Russia to send VIA Gra. It'd be bleeding marvellous. If they went, how could they not win?
~~~~~~~~~~~
Stay in the underworld with me.
Old 04-01-2004, 13:30   #12
заичонок

Hadn't realised the significance of next year - as you say, it should be interesting.

Who on earth are Supersister? </out of touch high court judge>
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 04-01-2004, 13:40   #13
Just say maybe

Supersister were a South Yorkshire girl group who released two top 40 singles. Showing true insight into the female psyche, these records were called 'Coffee' and 'Shopping'.

They were possibly not the best girl group ever conceived. However, 'Coffee' does feature one of the best lines in pop history:

'I like my men like I like my coffee / hot, strong and sweet.'

Wow.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Stay in the underworld with me.
Old 04-01-2004, 14:17   #14
заичонок

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Violence
Supersister were a South Yorkshire girl group who released two top 40 singles. Showing true insight into the female psyche, these records were called 'Coffee' and 'Shopping'.

They were possibly not the best girl group ever conceived. However, 'Coffee' does feature one of the best lines in pop history:

'I like my men like I like my coffee / hot, strong and sweet.'

Wow.
Wow indeed, Tom.

Must have missed them - it was during my "almost entirely cut off from Western music" period here
~~~~~~~~~~~
ReplyPost New Thread