Cold Mountain - 7
Seabiscuit - 7
Mystic River - 6
Pirates of the Caribbean - 5
City of God - 4
Lost In Translation - 4
Finding Nemo - 4
The Last Samurai - 4

It seems that Peter Jackson will be acknowledged after all with an Oscar ( and maybe the film, as well )
I was surprised to see City of God nominated for 4 Oscars; the film is quite incredible -allbeit quite violent - insight in the street life of the poverty-stricken ghettos of Brazil. Highly recommended.

Last edited by spyretto; 28-01-2004 at 01:10.
Old 28-01-2004, 12:35   #2
Just say maybe

Yes, very good to see City of God was remembered. It would be typical if it were only given what the Academy perceives as 'token' Oscar like Best Editing. Albeit its achievements in that field are great. That said, Hable Con Ella won best screenplay last year, so I might be surprised.

I very much want Bill Murray to win best actor. He is my favourite Hollywood actor, and massively underappreciated.

Received wisdom is that Return of the King will pick up best picture and Peter Jackson will win best director, by way of acknowledgement for the whole trilogy. This will probably prove correct. Much though I want Sofia Coppola and and Lost in Translation to surprise everyone, I think the feeling is that Coppola hasn't enough back catalogue yet to deserve the victory. Especially against the juggernaut that is Lord of the Rings.

I know past work should count for nothing, but it never works that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Stay in the underworld with me.
Old 28-01-2004, 12:47   #3
Участник

Send a message via ICQ to nath Send a message via MSN to nath Send a message via Skype™ to nath
Thanks for this info Spyretto!...Do you have a link to see the best nominated actors and actresses too, please?
Thanks
Old 28-01-2004, 13:03   #4
Don't dream it, be it!

I too would like to see Sofia Coppola become the first woman to win the Best Director Oscar (even though I had my heart set on winning this accolade myself). I saw Lost In Translation two days ago and I think it' s fantastic. I actually think Sofia could be a bit of a dark horse and might pick up support as the Oscar campaign goes on. I'm disappointed Scarlett Johansenn didn't get the nod for Best Actress. There is one sublime moment in Lost In Translation when I realised she was a great actress (I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the film yet. ) But all I will say is, you can't fake emotional depth like that. Unlike Tom and Spyretto I despised City Of God and I could go into a lengthy rant here about why...but I won't. Peace and Love to you all, my brothers and sisters.

Last edited by transcend; 28-01-2004 at 15:15.
Old 28-01-2004, 23:46   #5
viva la scientology!

I like the nominations. I'd like to see Charlize Theron win, I think she's talented and deserving. Renee Zellweger also. Though I'd sound more credible if I'd actually seen "Cold Mountain" and "Monster". I will. All in good time.

And LOTR better win something.
~~~~~~~~~~~
la profundidad.
Old 30-01-2004, 00:06   #6
you'll need love

Quote:
Originally posted by sunwalk
Thanks for this info Spyretto!...Do you have a link to see the best nominated actors and actresses too, please?
Thanks
Well I'm not spyretto but I do have a link for you, Nath:
http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2004/oscars

That being said I hope Return of the King will win for best score too. Actually I hope it'll get as many as possible

This year I haven't even seen most of the movies nominated. Some were just released in Denmark and others like "Master and commander" I just never got to see. Hoping to catch it when it gets releashed at dvd though.

Edit: oh forgot: cirrus, I agree Charlize Theron should win. Haven't seen this particular movie though, but haven't seen any of the other in this category either. And Charlize did very well in those I actually did see.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't waste your time on me you're already
the voice inside my head
Old 30-01-2004, 01:02   #7
Участник

Send a message via ICQ to nath Send a message via MSN to nath Send a message via Skype™ to nath
Oh ! Thanks again for your help Tina!....hihi.....I hope no fault here....kiss
I haven't seen those movies..but I love Clint Easwood as director ...
Old 30-01-2004, 12:09   #8
you'll need love

You got it right, Nath
A friend of mine went to see "Mystic River" (the Clint Eastwood one) and he said that it deserved pretty much any Oscar it could get. Though we are both hoping for Return of the King to clear out the award show.
~~~~~~~~~~~
the voice inside my head
Old 01-02-2004, 23:32   #9
The Dream is Over, :~(

I didn't think this past year offered a lot of good movies, really. I found most of the films to be extremely underwhelmingly Oscar baitish.

But I sure am glad that the Academy chose such a diverse group of nominees. It is almost like the voters watched these movies rather than listen to what the studios were pushing them towards; i.e. Cold Mountain.

Most importantly though, no Kidman, no Crowe, no Cruise!!!
And especially no Scarlett Johanesson; 'cause honestly her performances were average, and are pretty much the same throughout almost all of her movies.

Here what I would like to see:
Best Movie: Either Return of the King or Master and Commander. The former will most probably win.

Best Actress: Keisha Castle-Hughes for Whale Rider, hands down. From all of the performances, that was the most genuine. Second would be Samantha Morton for In America. I would say Charlize Theron from Monster but I think you would have to see the documentary of Aileen Wuornos to see if she really deserves it. Seeing the movie on its own, you're just left admiring the makeup artists. As for Naomi Watts, it is nice to see her nominated but sadly it is for the wrong movie, she really should have been nominated for Mulholland Drive rather than the incoherent 21 Grams

Best Actor: Ben Kingsely for House of Sand and Fog or Johnny Depp for Pirates of the Carribean. There's no need explaining Kingsely. With Depp, however, he truly made that role his. And besides, it is about time the Oscars recognize comedic performances, they are just as hard, if not even harder, to play than dramatic roles.

Best Supporting Actress (This one is a toughy): Either Patricia Clarkson for Pieces of April, she's long overdue, Renee Zellwegger for Cold Mountain who actually made me not walk out on that movie, or Shoreh Adaghshloo in House of Sand and Fog though it is a long shot.

Best Supporting Actor: Ken Watanbe for The Last Samurai. By far the only redeeming thing from an otherwise crappy movie.

Best Director: Either Peter Jackson for Return of the King or Peter Wier for Master and Commander. Although it would be nice to see a woman win, I don't think Sofia Coppola should win it for Lost in Translation. IMHO, that movie was only good for the mood, if anything. There was no story and the acting wasn't superb. Dialogue was ok, I guess she could win for Best Screenplay, but I want Denys Arcand to win. Just because.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:10   #10
Участник

PowerPuff Grrl, you should be a film critic, lol.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:03   #11
The Dream is Over, :~(

Yes perhaps, except in order to become a film critic one's opinions of films must be worth - marginally - more than sh!t.

I fail miserably in that department.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:10   #12
Echoes among the Stars

PowerPuff Grrl, really? I didn't see "Whale Rider," but I don't think they're going to give an Oscar to someone 13 years old - nor do I think they should, a nomination is huge recognition already; good for her but I'd rather it went to someone else ( who, I don't know, I haven't seen the others)

Jee, I can't comment on about half of these movies cause I haven't seen them. I was glad Holly Hunter got a nomination for "Thirteen" because she was excellent, and I can see why they nominated Renee Zellweger but I hope she doesn't get it because - well, it was cute, and different than her other parts - but not too difficult, just not that hard to do. And Patricia Clarkson didn't impress me at all in "Pieces of April," although maybe that had more to do with the way the part was written; I didn't think it was a very good movie.

Maybe it's finally going to be Sean Penn's year. He was great in "Mystic River" and he's overdue for an Oscar anyway. I wouldn't mind if Bill Murray got it, though - although I don't think "Lost in Translation" is as good as everyone's raving, he's good and I'm glad he's getting recognized for it.

Btw, what's so great about "Master and Commander"? I thought it was pretty average - the dialogue was kind of hokey and nothing much happened, as I remember it. What was so fantastic about it that I missed?

I'll try to see "City of God" - should be an interesting night in any case, although it's true, there weren't many good movies out: but no Nicole, Jack, or "Cold Mountain," thank God Let's watch for an LOTR sweep ... I just hope they don't win editing, not when they took 30 bloody minutes to wrap it up, you keep thinking it's over and it keeps going on ...

Last edited by russkayatatu; 08-02-2004 at 04:17.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:18   #13
Echoes among the Stars

Someone brought this article to my attention, and I thought I'd pass it on:

http://www.electricstory.com/reviews/monster.asp
Old 08-02-2004, 05:36   #14

Thanks russkayatatu. Hmm interesting..
Old 12-02-2004, 00:42   #15
you'll need love

oi.. someone seems a bit unpleased with this years nominations for sure

Oh well.. This weekend I got to see "Brother Bear" and it was rather good. Wouldn't mind if it won for best animated feature. Then again haven't seen the other two nominated.
~~~~~~~~~~~
the voice inside my head
Old 12-02-2004, 01:22   #16
viva la scientology!

I've seen "Whale Rider", and was very impressed. At first glance it seemed like a kid movie, but it's really not... it's an overall feel good story for everyone. And the amazing thing about Keisha Castle-Hughes is that she's not a proffesional actress and this is her first movie... and she's nominated for it. For that reason, I don't think she should win. I haven't seen the other movies so I don't know how she measures up against the competition, but being nominated for an Oscar at her age for her first movie... she's kinda a winner already.
~~~~~~~~~~~
la profundidad.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:52   #17
malinky's

Well, I for one think Charlize Theron did an amazing job. I remember watching coverage of the trial and susbsequent footage of Aileen Wuornos and I still feel this way. Yes, it's a movie and there is a story the writer/director Patty Jenkins wants to tell, so she angles her movie's perception that way (as all filmmakers do). Regardless, I think Charlize Theron nailed her part. Not because of make-up, I can quite honestly say that I got lost in the performance so much that, other then at the beginning, I only saw the character. For the way she evoked sympathy, disgust, outrage, horror, empathy, and countless more emotions within me, for taking a script and being able to interpret it so seamlessly from what the writer wanted into what I saw on that big screen, and for leaving me speechless (truly remarkable to all those who know me ^_^) are the reasons why I feel she deserves the Best Actress Oscar.

Does this mean I am right on whether it was a great performance? No, just as no matter who wins that Oscar does it truly mean that person is the "Best" whatever. Art is subjective. What is my chocolate may be someone else's mud. Of course, a finer mud one shall never taste! lol

Oh well, I am about to watch "Whale Rider" and now with the raving endorsements...*jumps up and down* I can't wait!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Caterpillars turn into rare butterflies..."
~Chantal Kreviazuk~
Old 14-02-2004, 19:36   #18
Участник

After reading volkotina's post just now, I wanted to mention that Charlize Theron won a Silver Bear as leading actress at the Berlin Film Festival today (for her role in "Monster).

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nm/berlin_dc_3

xena225
Old 14-02-2004, 19:56   #19
Bitchka

what do i think....

hmmm, I have to agree, I saw 'Lost in Translation' last week, and I cant see what the big fuss is all about ...definatelly NOT a movie that should be nominated for 'Best Motion Picture of the Year' .. but oh well... we already know that most likely Lor of the Rings will get it, but really, its an ok movie, but not my cup of tea. Mystic River was good, havent seen the other 2 nominations, so i cant comment on them, but... 21 grams! ahhhhhh, what a great movie...

Definatelly hope Sean Penn finally gets some recognition, he was great in both - Mystic River and 21 Grams!
I like Bill Murray, but the movie was so weak that I dont think he should win, and Judd Law - the movie was good, but he wasnt the strongest character, so.... im hoping for Sean here

For Female, its a bit hard for me to comment, because i havent seen some of the movies, but.... Naomi Watts was great in 21 Grams! in fact i am biased, because 21 Grams was the best movie I was this year in a theatre! So disapointing that it is not really nominated! boooooo

Tim Robbins for best supporting actor - he was so great! and he had a hard role

and now i got tired of comments and predictions but id like to add....

Id like to see Ondskan ...
and: My Architect: A Son's Journey
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 08-04-2004, 23:17   #20
Echoes among the Stars

I just saw "Monster" yesterday ... and I think Charlize Theron definitely deserved the Oscar I'm still reeling from it; this is one of the saddest movies I've ever seen, and it was well-written, well-directed too. There are only a few movies I've seen that have been so honest, about dreams and how it is when you separate dreams and hopes from the world around you, about cruelty - the cruelty of young people, of older people, of strangers. And what kind of relationship results when you love a child - what burdens it places on both.

People can be so cruel - young people, older people, strangers, relatives - the realism of the cruelty in this movie made me watch stone-faced at the screen. The naivite hurt too, but the cruelty more than anything, because everything and everyone was cruel; it came from all sides, indifferently. The kind of cruelty when you sacrifice someone for something else, often: when Selby insisted she get another car, when Selby's aunt handed her the phone, when the car was wrecked and Aileen pulled at Selby to move, when Aileen shot the (unbelievably) nice guy who pulled over for her. And on the side of the angels are distrustful, preoccupied parents and relatives, spouting out beliefs on Christianity and gay lifestyle and drugs and "street people" in a mixmash of bigotry, racism, and puritanical, sanctioned hatred. Everyone sacrifices in this movie And of the two main characters, both are so naive and hurting - and there is stupidity everywhere in the movie as well, and thoughtlessness, and both of these manage to feed cruelty.

You know why else I think this movie is a great film? People watch it and they all see something different. "This isn't a portrait, it's a posthumous grounds for an appeal." "For all the great work that goes into it, 'Monster' gives no reason to invest any time trying to understand why this pathetic person took seven lives." "Yes, her transformation is a bit of a stunt, but [Theron] works hard and bravely to salvage a human shape from Wuornos' [sic] life." "More often than not, Theron gives us a caricature rather than a character. As a result, 'Monster' is a well-made movie without much purpose." "Theron's transformation into serial killer Aileen Wuornos is so remarkably convincing, you almost forget you're watching an actress play a part in a movie." "Digging deep down, Theron and the movie give us empty lives, desperate romance, and murderous rage. They bring a monster to life."

When I finished watching this movie I thought that these were the kind of movies that make me love film, writing and directing and acting. I loved this movie. I wonder if I see it again, would I see it the same way? I wonder.

When she had her speech about God and the Ten Commandments it reminded me of a scene in a book by Poul Anderson: everyone has suddenly become many times smarter than they were before, and one of the main characters sees a woman walk down the street completely naked - having decided, he guessed, that the law against public nudity was ridiculous in the warm weather and shouldn't apply any more. "Any society," he says, " was necessarily founded on certain more or less arbitary rules and restrictions. Too many people had suddenly realized that the laws were arbitrary, without intrinsic significance, and had proceeded to violate whichever ones they didn't like ... as a symptom it made him shiver." Not that the law against killing someone is an arbitrary one, necessarily ... but for her ... for people who have nothing, whom society shuns, who are un-educated, who may not be that smart, when the last door slams and there's no way they can see to continue with any kind of life at all, without losing hope for something better ... for them, maybe, there is no reason for the law. She wanted something, too, out of life, and this is the only way she knows how. It's not a good way: even she knows that, instinctually, hardly consciously. It doesn't work - it's insupportable, unstable - and it spirals into selfishness, I don't know what psychologists may call it but it's unhealthy, it can't go on. And because it can't go on there's a desperation to it, and an exhilaration ... and because it can't go on there's cruelty on both sides, from Aileen, from Selby ... and to the whole world: why can't we do what we want, who's to stop us?

What I mean to say, I guess, is that all of the characters made sense to me. There wasn't a point when I thought, ahhhh, but she wouldn't do that - not about Selby, not about Aileen, not about anyone who had any kind of part at all. The problems that arise when you have so many dreams and early on shut out dreams from reality - but continue to remember them - I thought this was something the movie did very well. That someone could reinvent the world, her life, just for one person who has "discovered" her at last: "You're so beautiful": for that one could do almost anything, for hope after years of squalor. It is such incredibly heady stuff when things you've dreamed of for years suddenly, miraculously are around you, and real - no longer a dream, when for so long everything around you had nothing to do with your real life. There is nothing like it

To me it was about someone who tried to reinvent the world, reinvent ethics, reinvent everything so that she could have what she wanted. Rather that she tried to get what she wanted - and found justification. And gradually it became too much, collapsing under its own weight and the weight of inertia - and her own psyche, or conscience, or instinct, that felt that everything was wrong but didn't have the logic or the insight to know what, or where, or how.

If you haven't seen this movie ... I highly recommend it.
ReplyPost New Thread