Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Sports and Entertainment

best gay movies ?

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 20:22   #21
Участник

Hmmm

I have seen Queer as Folk once, I thought it was ok. All of these shows and movies that you all talk about sound great. But I never seem to watch them due to my being here or on some other forum on the internet!
Old 11-04-2003, 22:20   #22
The Dream is Over, :~(

Quote:
Originally posted by BouBou
Are there any "gay/lesbian/bi" movies that are not low budget films? Why aren't there any g/l/b blockbusters yet?... or are there?
The Hours?
Though I wouldn't really call that a gay movie.
I didn't like it.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:59   #23
Участник

Quote:
The Hours?
Though I wouldn't really call that a gay movie.
I didn't like it.
I just saw that... it was... depressing and... confusing. I don't understand how the whole gay thing came into the story

"Y Tu Mama Tambien"-good
"Mulholland Dr."-awesome and funky
"Boys Don't Cry"- shocking and will never look at Hillary Swank the same way
"Lost and Delirious"- i thought i was the only one in this whole wide world to see that movie.. my eyebrows were furrowed the whole way through
Old 12-04-2003, 22:58   #24

Quote:
I don't understand how the whole gay thing came into the story
I don't either, it all came out of left field, especially with Virginia Woolf's part.
I mean damn! Who saw that coming!

Anyhoo, am I the only one who thought Nicole Kidamn looked alright with the nose.
I'll even go so far as to say she looked better in The Hours than she did at the Oscars.
Old 13-04-2003, 07:15   #25
Участник

Send a message via Yahoo to angeljas01
You forgot the movie Gia with Angelina Jolie.
Old 14-04-2003, 22:18   #26
a kind of fresh madness

'But I'm a Cheerleader' is probably my favourite 'gay' movie cos it's so funny but it's also very poigniant at the same time.
'Bound' is an absolute classic!
'Mulholland Drive' is absolutely amazing!! I think I'm possibly the only person - apart from David Lynch, obviously - who actually understands it. It's a total masterpiece!
I thought 'Fun' was good but I dunno if you can class it as a "gay movie". There was definately something going on between the 2 female leads. Anyone else seen it?
'If These Walls Could Talk 2' was OK but I wouldn't say it was anything special.
'Boys Don't Cry' was amazing! That was such an awesome film - one of the few movies that have actually reduced me to tears.
I thought ' Kissing Jessica Stein' was a bit of a disapointment. It was very funny in places but I thought the "Let's just be friends" ending was a bit of a cop-out.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
or is it just to humour us before we die?
Old 15-04-2003, 10:14   #27
winter days ...

gia was depressing as well, altho the angelina jolie eye candy more than made up for it
Old 16-04-2003, 00:48   #28
blah

GIA!!!!!! damn, how did i forget about that one???..... mmmm..... damn, that was a good movie!!!..... and Angelina Jolie like absolutely rocked!!!
Old 16-04-2003, 00:59   #29
Just say maybe

You can't possibly outdo Fucking Еmеl.

But the most recent film I've seen with a gay theme was A Mi Madre Le Gustan Las Mujeres. I watched it yesterday, having ordered it on a whim at Christmas. And it really was rather good, avoiding the triteness and superficiality of many comedies of sexuality. For once, coming out wasn't the cue for a blitzkreig of comedic misunderstandings, zany quips and lame jokes at the expense of gay stereotypes. Thank Christ.

Plus it starred Leonor Watling. Which never hurts.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Stay in the underworld with me.
Old 16-04-2003, 07:12   #30
Determined

Quote:
Two of my favorites are Go Fish, and The Incredibly True Story of Two Girls in Love.
I absolutely loved Go Fish because I'm a huge fan of Guinevere Turner as an actress and writer. I would also recommend The Watermelon Woman, Preaching to the Perverted (Guin is in both), and It's In The Water.
Old 16-04-2003, 14:20   #31
Участник

Ok Poisonous Truth, I'll have to check those out.

Parrish
Old 16-04-2003, 19:04   #32
<-- she...mine!

Send a message via AIM to skye Send a message via Yahoo to skye
Blue Gate Crossing
but it's only famous in Taiwan
Old 22-04-2003, 20:12   #33
Full Circle

showing my age

... Desert Hearts ...
Old 27-04-2003, 08:59   #34
<-- she...mine!

Send a message via AIM to skye Send a message via Yahoo to skye
Is ...

is The Hours a gay movie ?
or Flida? ?
Old 30-04-2003, 19:10   #35

This is just a little continuation from a little disagreement Karxwp and I had in the Gay People Talk in Here Without Disturbance in the Acquaintances forum.

Karxwp said;
Quote:
also it's [Moulin Rouge] from the 1999, you can't compare two things like Chicago & Moulin Rouge...it wll be like comparing Ben Hur with Gladiator
Even so that doesn't excuse it from anything. You can only use time as a factor for tolerating crap from a movie when it comes to special effects. Neither movie used special effects. In fact in the department of set design and cinematography (sp?), Moulin Rouge kicked ass, with Chicago you could actually notice that the movie was shot in a Toronto sound studio rather than believing the movie took place in Chicago during the 20s.

Even so, Moulin Rouge was made like a year and four months ago, you can't possibly say that there has been technological advancements in the past two years. The Matrix, which was done in '99 is still pretty impressive today. Still though, it was only four years ago, and thatis still nothing.

You're right though comparing a movie like Ben Hur to Gladiator is unfair, especially when using a classic to an overrated peice of sh-t like The Gladiator. But that is just my humble opinion.

As for determining which movie is better between Moulin Rouge and Chicago, I will say that really Chicago is just better, plain and simple. The fact that I have not read one single review trashing this movie. Whereas with Moulin Rouge, people either loved it or hated it, and nothing else.

Karxwp also said;
Quote:
You have two gorgeous people there Nicole Kidman & Ewan Mc Gregor
You are absolutely right. Chicago would have been fantastically super were it not for Rene Zellweger's ultra-anorexic-body-but-disturbingly-gigantic-biceps... shudders.
But you can't completely dismiss Chicago of any eye candy; for whichever hotness factor was lost from Rene's part, Catherine Zeta Jones made up for it. She was absolutely gorgeous in that movie, I am as straight as humanly possible and I would switch teams for her anyday!
Queen Latifah was dazzling in her "show" dress. Lucy Liu and Taye Diggs were also hot, but they were not in the movie long enough to truly appreciate... damnit!

Anyhoo, for anybody wondering what this has to do with gay movies, trust me when I say that Chicago and Ben Hur are gay, gay, gay!!!
The Gladiator has some homoerotic themes.

Last edited by PowerPuff Grrl; 30-04-2003 at 21:38.
Old 17-05-2003, 16:10   #36
Прохожий

lost and delirious-piper perabo's performance was fantastic!! i loved the idea and the music, everything
Old 28-05-2003, 12:12   #37
Echoes among the Stars

can I say the worst gay movie?

I vote for Chasing Amy . It tried to be profound, but it just wasn't
Old 28-05-2003, 14:14   #38
Just say maybe

I agree totally about Chasing Amy, I found the sentiment of the film quite horrible. I'd like to think that Kevin Smith didn't mean it, but it really did seem to imply that lesbians are just 'women who haven't found the right man yet'.

And the fact that Alyssa only 'became' a lesbian because some boys had abused her was a problem for me. This isn't to say that sexual assuault is anything other than horrendous - and it clearly does have lasting consequences - but writers must be careful about the way they use it. Because the implication here - and again I doubt it was intended - is that a woman only 'becomes' a lesbian because of bad experience with men.

It's not really helpful to say such things. Not when they become generalisations that suggest that all gay experience is the same. It's as rich and diverse as heterosexuality, in all its confusing forms.

I'm sure some sexually ambigious women have come to favour other women because of bad experiences, but the implied message that homosexuality must 'mutate' out of heterosexuality isn't helpful, because it perpetuates the myth that homosexuality is 'artifical' or 'unnatural'.

I had problems with the kiss between Banky and Holden as well, but it's a long time since I've since the film so I shan't comment on that.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Stay in the underworld with me.
Old 28-05-2003, 15:17   #39

Quote:
Originally posted by russkayatatu
It tried to be profound, but it just wasn't
You have just described every single Kevin Smith film.
Old 28-05-2003, 18:37   #40
Echoes among the Stars

I also thought

it was ridiculous that she "turned straight" later, and had that long speech about how, just as before she didn't want to limit herself to men, now she doesn't want to limit herself with being a lesbian and should be open to finding love with anyone.

Or something like that; I haven't seen it in a while either. And don't want to . It was pretty bad.
ReplyPost New Thread