View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 00:42   #27
The Dream is Over, :~(

Interesting conversation you guys have going here, I have to say though that I completely agree with dradeel.

Legalization of prohibited substances obviously won't make honest people out of criminals, I'll agree with you there haku, but I don't think that that it'll get them out of the business altogether either. Illegal substances and activities are freaking lucrative businesses, there's money to be made and gangs already have extensive product knowledge and know precisely which demographic of people to aim for. If ever turned legal they have about 30 years of experience surrounding this venture, that is a massive head start on upstart competition. And sure those earnings will be taxed (good for gov't, btw) and regulations will be placed, I think that's something criminals wouldn't mind, it sure beats the hell out of risking life-in-prisonment sentences or death at the hands police, rivals, or your own gang members.

People who join gangs don't necessarily want to be criminals, they want lots of money and power in the easiest, fastest way possible. If criminal life grants them that, then they'll gladly take it. I'm pretty sure that if current gang members had the opportunity, resources and education of the upper class then they'd probably join the corporate world. I'm not saying, of course, that lower-class people become criminals solely because of their social class, that's bullshit, but that people in the corporate world exude the same criminal behaviour as gangsters so I feel gang members would fit in nicely in the corporate world. Your Jeffery Skillings, Benard Ebbers, Dutch Shell, McDonalds, Nike, etc. all have the same psychotic nature as gangsters except what they do is legal... until it is not.

So bring on the West Coast Crack-Cocaine Corporation!
I would sooo buy stocks in that.

Last edited by PowerPuff Grrl; 12-05-2006 at 00:58.