Thread: Mexico
View Single Post
Old 20-03-2007, 14:52   #44
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyubittu View Post
I was not going into technicalities. I understand they are different. - My point I was trying to make is that ANY time you enter another country - you get these papers/documents from the country you wish to visit. Not the country you reside in.
And like dradeel explained, that's incorrect. A passport is delivered by the country you come from, a visa is delivered by the country you go to.

A passport acts as a proof of indentity and citizenship, it is only delivered by a country to its own citizens; a visa acts as an authorization of entry and stay, it is only delivered by a country to foreigners who wish to enter that country.
Therefore a person can only have one passport (delivered by his own country), but can obtain multiple visas (delivered by any country he wishes to visit).

Let's say a Canadian citizen wish to visit China, he will need a Canadian passport which is delivered by the Canadian administration, he will also need a Chinese visa which is delivered by the Chinese administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradeel View Post
Also, without a passport you can't (well, more like shouldn't. Hehe.) travel on holidays outside the border of your own country.
The big exception in that area is the European Union, citizens of any EU state can travel and live freely within the EU with no more official documents than they need in their country of origin (generally a simple ID card or driving licence). EU citizens only need a passport if they intend to go outside the EU.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]