View Single Post
Old 13-04-2006, 14:05   #42
iMod

Well, i've said it before as well, i am actually opposed to any more immigration from outside the EU, but EU citizens moving within the EU is a totally different matter, they are not 'immigrants', there are no internal borders and EU citizens are free to live and work wherever they want, and i have absolutely no problem with that, i welcome it, the more EU people will be mixed, the better.

And of course the level of life (and therefore prices, salaries, etc.) is lower in the new 8 eastern EU members, but it won't last forever! This is a transitional period and the new EU members will be brought to EU standards progressively, the developement in those countries is already going at a fast pace. The same thing happened when Ireland, Spain or Portugal joined the EU over 20 years ago, those countries had a much lower level of life than older EU members (and Spain and Portugal, just like the new eastern EU members, just went out of dictatorial regimes), and believe me (i was there!) some people were saying the same thing about those countries than what some people are saying today about the new eastern EU members.
But 20 years later, those countries are totally on a par with the rest of the EU, and the same thing will happen with the new eastern EU members. In 20 years, Poland or Hungary will be just as rich as any other average EU member and prices/salaries will have been leveled with the rest of the EU.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]