Thread: Alizée
View Single Post
Old 17-01-2005, 08:42   #25
My Waking Hour

Lots of comparisons as I wrote in my first ever post on tatugirls forum... but Alizee never pretended she was something that she's not and Mylene Farmer didn't take advantage of her.

"As for me, I found it hard to realize that I was the one singing. When I saw the video, I was at first very pleased with the result, but I still had difficulty telling myself it was me. I caught myself acting, playing a role, playing a Lolita. All that was new to me."

Q: Aren't you a bit like that person?

A: "Not really. I know this person but it's not me."

(my first ever - overtly praising - posting about Tatu, 30/1/2003 )

Quote:
Hi everybody

I only registered because I would like to express my opinion about the duo. In short, I think Tatu is great...
But if we attempt to break them down into the various elements that make up their being, I'd place their music FIRST (and foremost). The music, in my humble opinion, is fabulous. The songs may not be the most original you'd ever listen to but they have a cutting-edge sensibility, while the vocal technique of the girls lifts them tremendously. If one has to make comparisons, I'd say that yes, "Clowns" slighly reminds us of Lasgo, although superior to me, while "Not Gonna Get Us" is kinda reminiscent of the Prodigy..etc. Overall the music is brilliantly produced and executed, and the whole approach fresh and powerful.
Now there's the image. Well, they've opted for a certain image - for certain reasons. It's not bad at all, it adds appeal to the band but it's bound to be blown out of proportion, and misunderstood. Why does it matter whether their attitudes are genuine or a gimmick? Tatu are both a product and an art statement so it can never be totally one or the other..And it doesn't matter after all, sexuality is important but not everything. I think that when all this commosion settles down and if Tatu are to be around us for a while, they'll leave that "notoriety" behind and opt for a cleaner image. They won't need that image anymore and it does makes sense as Shopovalov himself disclosed that they're considering something entirely different for the next step. Perhaps a whole new image?
Until then the controversy is on but we can still enjoy the top music and the fab videos - at a time where the music video seemed out of fresh ideas.
By the way, I can understand the issue of sexuality and lesbianism that Tatu engender but peadophilia? I think it's rediculous. I don't know why, we seem totally obsessed with peadolphilia and peadophiles these days, especially in the country where I live..Anyways
Oh and they should stick with Shopovalov because he has a great talent for making infectious technopop tunes and excellent videos. He kinda reminds me of Laurent Bouttonat, the Frenchman composer/director who launched Mylene Farmer in France and they both launched Alizee last year, a hit all over Europe. The difference being that Tatu have also been promoted brilliantly, their promotion team has made all the right moves so far. Even this site urges us to promote Tatu in the U.S!
Oh and for those who think that Tatu suck, well, the fact that they come from Russia speaks volumes, I think. How many other Russian bands you know who've made it big in Europe and the U.S? I don't know any!
So there's definitely something about them, image alone doesn't sell records ( or does it? hehe )

That's all I had to say, maybe a bit boring, I admit. So lets enjoy the fabulous music, and hopefully Tatu will have many more number 1s. No matter if they're not quite sincere, as far as I'm concerned they're the "genuine article".

Bye

P.S. Did I forget to mention they're hot? hehe
I keep writing his name wrong, it's Boutonnat, not Bouttonat.

Last edited by spyretto; 17-01-2005 at 08:57.