View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 19:52   #16
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
coolasfcuk: That was very interesting. I was wondering about that one for a long time.
I've known it's got something to do with Cyril but I wasn't familiar with the details.

OK, the language that I mention "Old-church-slavic" from which slovene language originates is aparantly named
Old Church Slavonic in english (I just directly translated it).
Here's something I've found about it from cool's link:

Old Church Slavonic
Alphabet
Origin
The Old Church Slavonic alphabet was invented sometime during the 10th century AD, possibly by St. Kliment of Ohrid, a missionary in Bulgaria. It later evolved into the Cyrillic alphabet. The earliest known inscriptions in the Old Church Slavonic alphabet date from the 10th century and can be found in Romania and Bulgaria.

Used to write:
Old Church Slavonic, a mixture of Old Bulgarian and Old Russian which was used as the litergical language of the Russian Orthodox church between the 9th and 12th centuries. A more modern form of the language, known as Church Slavonic, appeared during the 14th century and is still used as the litergical language of the Russian Orthodox church

And to empahsise further that serbian, croatian and bosnian are indeed one language here is somehing else from cool's link:

Origin
Speakers of Slavonic languages settled in the Balkan region during the 6th and 7th centuries AD. The division between Croats and Serbs originates in the 9th century when both groups converted to Christianity. The Serbs aligned themselves with Constantiople and the Eastern Orthodox church and adopted the Cyrillic alphabet, while the Croats favoured the Roman Catholic church and the Glagolitic alphabet.
After the Turkish conquest of Serbia and Bosnia, Islam spread to parts of Bosnia and the Arabic script was sometimes used.
The Latin alphabet was gradually adopted by the Croats, though they continued to use Glagolitic for religious writings until the 19th century.
Used to write:
Serbian (Srpski), Croatian (Hrvatski) and Bosnian (Bosanski), closely related South Slavonic languages formerly known collectively as Serbo-Croat.

ps: Queenbee indeed join in, the more the marrier
And btw, we are only representatives of south-slavic languages here + queenbee. Where are the Checks, Slovakians, Russians, Ukranians, Belorussians...?!
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.