View Single Post
Old 31-01-2006, 16:54   #93
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlesslikeyou
lets say you went to mexico... wouldnt it be helpful if you knew spanish?
The difference is that Spanish is an actual language and the official language of Mexico as well as of many other countries, Ebonics is not the official language of any state as far as i know.

You see, this is where the problem lies, people always compare Ebonics to the official languages of other countries, they are putting a vulgar slang on the same level as litterary languages. The American obssession with the rap 'culture' has transformed a slang into the 'pinnacle of mainstream society' like someone here said, not being able to make a single correct sentence and departing as far as possible from standard English has become the goal to achieve, ignorance is validated and even glorified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlesslikeyou
i think you should step out into the world and see that a lot of people from different cultures do it as well
Many people who posted in this thread to criticize Ebonics are European, a continent half the size of North America with over 50 official languages, it only takes a few hours (even a few minutes for some of us) to go to a neighboring country where people speak a different language, in the EU parliament the deputies can speak in 20 different languages, so i think we are quite aware of and open to cultural differences.

However, nowhere else have i seen a vulgar slang being considered the *pinnacle* of society and the finest form of a language, everywhere else a popular slang is just that, a popular slang, an incorrect form of the language that you use in limited circumstances and would never be taught in schools as a valid 'dialect'.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]