View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 18:49   #221
Gaga ftw!

Send a message via AIM to Khartoun2004 Send a message via MSN to Khartoun2004 Send a message via Skype™ to Khartoun2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyubittu View Post
I just think it's hilarious that the most unlikely state ever to actually legalize gay marriage, has actually done it. Midwestern progressiveness is where it's at baby.
Progressive and the Midwest are not words I would ever use in the same sentence. It's hardly "progressive" to legalize gay marriage now after MA has had it for nearly 5 years and two other states have legalized it (although CA did overturn it) and several more have Civil Unions.

Plus the Supreme Court of Iowa only ruled on it after the state legislature passed a law banning Same-Sex Marriage. Striking down what the court considers an unconstitutional law is very different from a court just deciding to take matters into there own hands before the legislature even makes a decision either way and rule in favor of gay marriage like the SJC of Mass did back on November 17th 2003.

The Northeast and more specifically New England remains the most progressive region in the nation when it comes to LGBT rights and it was only a matter of time before the rest of the country started to get with the program and legalize gay marriage once a New England state or two legalized it.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Alexander
EPIC!!!!!!
Velvet ropes and guitars
Yeah, cause you're my rock star in between the sets
Eyeliner and cigarettes