View Single Post
Old 27-06-2003, 21:42   #5
@_@

Send a message via AIM to 0newinged Send a message via Yahoo to 0newinged
I fully understand the artist's right to have their music distributed in a legal fasion, but I also disagree on the way the RIAA is approaching this issue. How legal is this large scale invasion of privacy? snooping on your connections and whatnot is what scares me more. The idea of big brother breathing down your neck doesn't set right with me..

A lot of the reasons I use P2P are becasue you CAN'T find the music anywhere else. If you're looking for a specific song that you can't find in a record store it is a LOT more practical to find that one song on P2P rather then hunt down a whole album on somewhere like eBay when all you want is that one track. I know a lot of the song I download are remixes or underground which are usually not available in stores and sometimes P2P the only places to find them.. or if I hear a song on the radio I'll go and search for other songs by the artist just to see if I really like them enough to buy the album.

My prediction is that their bark is a lot worse then their bite.. Just think about what the RIAA really wants. They want to shut down P2P networks, they want to protect their copyrights and they want to scare the living hell out of file traders. So far, they're accomplishing the last one beautifully. They'll sue a couple of the larger traders to set an example for the rest of us, everyone (at least in the U.S. for now..) will stop using Kazaa and the RIAA will have what they wanted all along and that'll be that.

This is not going to stop P2P sharing but rather is going to hurt the music industry... upcoming artists who want to get their name out will have it harder, and the mega pirates (who would not buy the music anyways...) will just go deeper underground into other filesharing forms..

Last edited by 0newinged; 27-06-2003 at 22:05.