Thread: Climate change
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 12:05   #56
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
Most of the scientists who publicly deny the evidence are paid by those organisations or similar organisations funded by other oil and coal interests. It's all documented.
Here's a thought though: it just might be that these organizations are sponsored by oil companies BECAUSE they're sceptics, rather then pressuming they've only become skeptics after recieving funds.

I still maintain my stance that corporate profit will never back down to a greater cause like saving the environment. That's the basic rule of capitalism. It's not just the oil companies. The whole industrial machine works that way. Environmentalists are too idealistic regarding the issue. Fact is we're living in the real world, where financial gain is the only thing that matters and if you're going to make huge coroprate entities (which more than likely sponsor political elites) to give in to environmental concern is to convince them they'll profit financially in the long run. Shell is a good example of this, investing huge summs of money into renewable energy research. Why? Not because they're so greatly concerned about our habitat or because they're altruistically trying to insure the persistant existence of mankind on this planet, but rather because they're counting they'll make big profit of it in the long run (if they catch their fellow petrochemical-selling peers off guard).

Offtop:
Plus I don't think the internal combustion engines are our biggest concerns right now. At least not since the almighty catalytic converter came along. There's much more carbon monoxide being produced by cows than cars these days.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.