View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 21:47   #51
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Thanks for that explanation cool, I quite enjoyed it

Yeah, of course we have that sound in Slovene. We call it "polglasnik" and it is a vowel. We usually write it (when you write pronounced words like a vowel that is turned upside-down, otherwise there is no character for it - we drop that out) When we speak certain letters - we call them "zvocniki" (m,n,r,l,j,v) they can't be spoken by themselves, they are acompaied by this "polglasnik" sound. If you have a combination of this leters in a word (-lj, -nr...)=then you have this sound in the middle, but without actualy writing it. I don't know if that is a similar usage as in Bulgarian, but the sound is definitely the same.

For instace if I say: Film in slovene there is that sound between l and m but we don't write it as a letter. Another example is zanr (z has a mark on top so it's pronounced zhanr), which means ganre in english. Zanr= between n and r there is also that "polglasnik" sound. So I guess Bulgarians would put an e in the middle and call it "zaner". But we left this sound completely out of the writen word. If you wanted to put it in writing then the "e" would have to be put upside down, but nobody does that, except the dictionaries.

btw: we have "uglel"(corner) as wel except that we call it "vogal".

ps: Cool your style of talking in english reminds me very much of Lena's, except with much better english.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.