Thread: Lady GaGa
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 08:15   #248
Gaga ftw!

Send a message via AIM to Khartoun2004 Send a message via MSN to Khartoun2004 Send a message via Skype™ to Khartoun2004
Convol I'd be happy to give an analysis of Gaga's music.

Most techno-ish music follows a similar beat pattern... It's built in layers. Every 16 beats a new layer is added or an old one subtracted; provided there is no vocal track. If there is a vocal track the change happens every 8 beats. Some musicians or DJs like expanding this model pattern to 32 beats and 16 beats respectively. It's dance music, it's easier to choreograph a dance to music that has the 8 count style most modern dancers prefer to use. This generally accounts for the repetitiveness in the broader techno genres and in some hip hop/club music.

Gaga for the most part follows this pattern, with a bit of a twist. I recommend listening to her music with decent quality, noise canceling headphones... Preferably studio quality or inner ear buds. On the surface you'll hear that 16/8 pattern in the bass and in some cases the percussion... However, you'll find that her synth work rarely follows this pattern. She's a classically trained pianist. Her synth patterns range in style from pop, techno, classical, rock, ect. It's diverse and alive. She often hybrids multiple styles together in one song, masterfully. You don't notice she's done it, unless you really dig in and analysis each part individually.

This mix and match is part of the reason that she's so popular. Most people can find at least one song by her that they like; or at least tolerate. If you talk to Gaga fans, you'll find that while they all like the same songs, but for very different reasons. She's exceedingly universal for an artist that is primarily categorized in the techno/dance genre.

She transitions between different key signatures seamlessly... It's almost like you don't realize you just went from a major to a minor until she's switching back to a major key... which may or may not be the key she started in. That is undeniable music writing skills. Also the fact that she uses a key other than C at all, is a huge improvement on the Pop music scene in general.

Her lyrics on the surface are extremely superficial, that's what sells pop music. However, upon further examination, it's littered with pop culture references, social commentary and tributes to her influences. She mocks the American obsession with fame, famous people and wealth. She can also sit in an interview and outline exactly what her reasons where for writing what she has... Not many artists (pop artists) can do that, most of them don't write their own lyrics, let alone music... Actually that's probably because she wrote it for them. *glares at Britney Spears* ...

But it's 3am and I have a physics class at 9am. To be continued...
~~~~~~~~~~~
Alexander
EPIC!!!!!!
Velvet ropes and guitars
Yeah, cause you're my rock star in between the sets
Eyeliner and cigarettes