View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 12:58   #116
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyubittu View Post
In my opinion, Russia only did what was necessary to protect the Russian people living in Ossetia. It's not like it was an attack on Georgia...or even an unprovoked disturbance. Georgia should have left Ossetia in peace. I always find it comical to watch these former soviet occupied countries (that resented soviet oppression) try to seize control of independent republics that have broken away from them. Largely hypocritical in my opinion.
In my opinion it wasn't. I can't see how bombing the capital of Georgia could be percieved as anything else but an attack on Georgia. Nor do I understand how striking civilian targerts and causing a mass exodus from Ossetia would contribute to "protecting Russian people living in Ossetia". It's also my opinion Russia had absolutely no business interfering with internal matters of an internationally recognized state. A country's right to protect it's citizens living abroad ends where the rights of another sovereign entity begins (eventhough of course I'm also of the opinion Russia's using the whole "protecting minorities/Russian citizens as a convenient excuse to justify the attacks; when the Soviet Union invaded Prague in 68 it was also officially just "protecting minorities").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyubittu
I'm not really sure why Balkan people such as yourself like to keep discussing themes of the Yugoslav wars in relation to everything else that happens in and around the region. It's an entirely separate issue, what purpose do comments like this serve, other than to cause even more ethnic tension in an already ethnic-hostile region? - Russia was not "freeing" anybody. They were simply protecting their citizens in this region. You're twisting things around.
Georgia is neither in nor "around" the Balkans. I was using it to show the banality of the situation rather than draw a direct comparison. And I also used the example of Baltic countries. I think "freeing" or "protecing it's citizens" sound equally outrageous, hence me employing that particular verb.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.