View Single Post
Old 17-08-2006, 21:22   #13
iMod

And there was a time when people were saying that escaping Earth's gravity will never be possible because it would require more energy than it was possible to produce… And there was a time when people were saying that going faster than the speed of sound will never be possible because no material would ever be strong enough to resist to the shock wave… And there was a time when people were saying that building an heavier than air flying machine will never be possible because anything heavier than air can't fly… And there was a time when people were saying that travelling above 100km/h will never be possible because human organs would be crushed by the air pressure…

At any given time in human history there are always people who say that this or that will never be possible, and yet it becomes possible a few centuries later. It's because those people try to imagine a future technology within the box of what is known at their time, they do not make a leap of imagination, fortunately there are also people who think out of the box, elaborate new theories, and make scientific breakthroughs, rendering possible what was thought impossible.

I am convinced that it will be possible one day to build a faster-than-light ship, i am also convinced that such a ship won't rely on anything known today, it will use materials that haven't been invented yet and will rely on scientific principles that haven't even been theorized yet. I am confident that sience will make major breakthroughs in the way we understand matter, energy, and time and the way they are interraleted, and those discoveries that have yet to be made will render faster-than-light travel possible. And there will be a time, be it in 100, 500, or 1000 years, where the statement that faster-than-light travel is impossible will look as ridiculous as the statement that anything heavier than air can't fly looks ridiculous to us today.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]