View Single Post
Old 20-08-2004, 22:40   #31
Участник

A new chapter for your enjoyment!

Chapter 5: The apartment

[Part I]

“Our apartment?” I looked into the cup and saw an ordinary set of keys, one long, one short. I liked the charm on them though, a little silver kitten.

“Yours.”

“What do we need an apartment for?” Yulia sked, looking into her cup.

“Because. You’ll spend most of your time together, so it’ll be more convenient when you are located at the same place. It didn’t appeal to me to pick you up at different ends of town. We’ll save on travel.”

“What else do we plan to save on?”

“Not on you, don’t worry.”

“Well... I dunno... Where is the apartment, Vanya? In a hotel?” humiliated by the champagne incident, Yulia desperately tried to regain her status.

“Not yet. It’s a bit more humble. It’s on Northern avenue.”

“Where’s that?”

“Civil zone. Not exactly a resort, but we have to start somewhere...”

Shit! I never lived in a civil zone, and even if I did I probably tried to forget it like a nightmare.

“Is it a two-room apartment?” guessed Yulia.

“Three. Three-room apartment. With all the conveniences and even a telephone. Any other questions?”

Of course, an apartment in a civil zone is not top-notch, between us girls… But, on the other hand, compared to living with a drunken daddy who tries to find a reason to kick your ass all the time, and then apologizes by telling stories of a good life we could have had… compared to that even a hut on the North Pole will seem like a five-star hotel.

“Well, I’m all for it...” I quickly cut in.

“It’s kinda strange...” Yulia didn’t intend to give up so easily. “Some apartment... Maybe some of us find is convenient... Maybe some of us have difficulties finding a place to live... But I’ll be fine at home.”

“Forget it. You won’t be home for a long time, that’s the deal,” Vanya explained. “Get used to it.”

“I’ll have to live with her?” Yulia didn’t even look at me. The whole time we were talking to Vanya, she didn’t spare me a glance.

“Indeed you will,” A strange smile came across Vanya’s face, the meaning of which we understood much later. “But I doubt you’ll be in each other’s way.”

“Can we see this apartment?”

“That’s easy. We’re going there right now...”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To be continued.