View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 13:30   #9
Martian Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMcAuliffe View Post
This works for artists such as PJ Harvey, though. She's hardly a multi-million selling artist but she's still really successful. She's incredibly secretive and despises people knowing anything about her personal life. I, personally, think Lena is right being similar in attitude. I guess in the pop arena it's different seeing how image, juicy scandal, non-stop media coverage and sales are deemed more important than anything else.
Well, it's not so much about scandals and media, it's more about communication through your artistic work, which is necessary. There are many artists who 'hide' themselves, but are very much acknowledged by their work, because it tells people about the inner self of them. In pop (and pop-rock mostly the same), there is of course more this outward appearance, which counts.

Regarding Lena we see hardly the 'public' nor the 'private' Lena. This 'express yourself' is pretty much absent until now, and I believe that she will have to give something from herself, if she wants to continue her solo career. It all looks so meaningless and random. I don't think this can go well.