View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 02:20   #101
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
You're forgeting one thing. The volume of the nuclear waste is not important - what's worrying is it's radioactive properties. and we all know realistically at least 30% of produced waste won't be disposed of properly (just a cost of doing business... you have to expect it in any area). Not to mention as emerging markets grow and our energy consumption needs become ridiculously high we'll need a lot more nuclear powerplants to keep the demand happy. Maybe hundreds of times of today's capacities. I still don't think you can just dispose of radioactive waste so elegantly with it having absolutely no impact on the environmet - I've heard chilling tales of radioactive elemets - supposedly stored in safe facilities underground - leaking into waters bellow and eventually into drinking water and water used for irrigation of crop.

I think the main problem here is the fact that most countries who'll need nuke-power in the future are the same countries who are least likely to follow safety procedures. I'm talking mainly about Asian tigers here. Them - along with Russia, Ukraine and quite possibly countries like Iran - will pose a great threat to the eco-system as well as a potencial for another catastrophe of gigantic proportions.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Last edited by freddie; 06-10-2006 at 16:55.