View Single Post
Old 04-09-2005, 12:06   #52
My Waking Hour

Well, if you're being bombarded daily about the tragedy in the end you get anesthetised
about it. If that happened in the third world it would have maybe occupied the media for a few days. But it happened in the U.S so you can multiply that by 20 times, and then you're beginning to get a grasp of the media attention.
So as this wasn't caused by any human hand and it was a natural catastrophy, If people want to donate money to the poor it's very welcome but I don't see why this should be considered so much more impotant than tragedies that occured all over the world, because it happened to be in the U.S.A.
Maybe some of the Hollywood stars who're making ridiculous amounts of money can get together and donate some for the tragedy. Or the U.S. government itself who has quite the recources to sort out moments of crisis can do the same. Yeah people who are on the minimum wage will probably do so as well but I'd expect that the wealth and powerful get to it first - so I basically agree to everything that freddie said before.
And hello, how does this relate to the U.S foreign policy at all? Or was it yet another opportunity for people to rekindle the tired argument again?
As to why people hate the United States so much maybe the Americans who are so wound up about this should ask the same question to themselves. There's a Greek saying that goes by the words of "do the good thing and throw it in the ocean"; it means do something good and don't expect to get something in return. If the Americans think that because they help around the world as the wealthiest and strongest country that they are they can basically do whatever they want in their own way without giving a damn about the consequences or what anybody else would think just because it is "righteous" in their own way of thinking, they shouldn't expect that it'd go down very well with the rest. This arrogance and narrowmindedness is basically the cause of the antipathy that people who have not invested interests in the U.S. have towards them. "You're either with us or without us" is quite an exemplification of that arrogance.
And don't start telling me that you've changed because you haven't. The U.S. government was behind that failed coup d'etat in Venezuela, wasn't it. So they're basically trying to do the same things again and nothing has changed, only now thay've got a firm and more tangible rationale to justify their actions. If I were an American I'd be very concerned about the way my government continues to conduct its foreign policy; even more so, if I were a supporter of George W. Bush.