View Single Post
Old 04-09-2005, 02:05   #44
Caterfly's

Send a message via AIM to Bitty2002
Darje - You are missing a huge point. There is a double/reverse prejudice here. You speak as if the US people are spouting off demanding help, then turning their back to other tragedy. I personally haven't spouted off demanding help. Help who you want. However, when someone says, good riddance, or they got what they deserved, that is different than simply not reacting or not helping.

What you are saying is the mentality that only hurts humanity. If I am being dragged down, I will drag you down with me. Or because my country gets neglected, your country should get neglected. What is happening in Mexico and around the world is HORRIBLE. But that doesn't mean that what happened here wasn't horrible.

You know, the country that brought tears to my eyes yesterday? Sri Lanka offerred help. Those that were still trying to recover from their own enormous disaster, put out a helping hand. Why can't life be more like that everywhere? Why can't sympathies go out to everyone, to any pain equally. Believe, Darje, I do understand what you are saying. I HATE when american news reports a bombing in another country saying, 100 people died, 2 were American. As if those two are somehow more important. Believe me, I understand. But it doesn't make it right to want suffering to be equal. That just because this doesn't happen everyday, that tragedies here aren't worth the pain people feel, or worth helping.

But you know... maybe one day terrorists will bomb the US, or nuclear war will break out, or a dumbass president will destroy our economy, or a sly little Hitler will work his way into our government and bring the US down. Then everyone will be happy that we are suffering. Maybe we can have more tragedies and the countries we have estranged and made bitter will turn their backs on us, and we wallow in pain, our cries unheard, like the cries in Mexico go unheard, etc. Our pain will be like your pain and everyone will be at peace that at least the pain is equal. While that scares me, and I would hate to lose all the nice luxuries and freedoms I have been afforded in this life for being lucky enough to be born here...at least it will make other people happier. At least it will make the bitterness go away. Maybe some day...we only have to wait. I am sure US won't be on top forever. I've heard China's working its way up. But, then again, it would be nice if no one was on top, but that is how the world seems to work. Maybe China or other will do a better job, have better ideals, provide better philosophies, forms of government and economy. Maybe someday life will be better.

Last edited by Bitty2002; 04-09-2005 at 02:18.