View Single Post
Old 14-07-2006, 17:27   #2
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Fighting for the Nazi regime is "doing one's duty"? Hmmm... we had a bunch of those people here - they were called "domobranci" (loosely translated into "defenders of their home/country"). They fought for the German side and they'll say today they did it to protect the nation's existence, but the communist party wasn't all that sympathetic to their cause - a whole bunch of them were murdered sans trial, while others immigrated to Argentina, USA and Canada. I'm sure there were cases of collaborations with the Germans all over Europe and through history's eyes it's often seen as an act of criminality.

Personaly I'll admit many of these people were lead into believing they were actually doing the only thing to preserve the existance of their homelands, but that doesn't change the fact they were deluded - fighting for one of history's greatest evil alliances requires a great deal of personal naivety and/or desperation. To call their efforts highly appreciated is a little bit of an overstatement to be honest. Most of them weren't really criminals.. but they weren't heros neither.

The Estonian prime minister certainly isn't alone in statements like this, though. Jörg Haider, leader of the Austrian Freedom Party, a well known far-right extremist and anti-semite publically acknowledged "efforts" Austrian SS-Waffen veterans made during WW2. And he's not just some lunatic from the edge of the political spectrum - for a while he and his party were a part of the Austrian coalition! And I'm sure some of his far-right political peers all over Europe would agree with his views (Jean-Marie Le Pen comes to mind).
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.