View Single Post
Old 31-01-2005, 22:18   #7
Участник

It's hard to know whether Angelina Jolie was actually criticising Sharon Stone, or whether her words were twisted by the press.

But the purpose of celebrities at Davos isn't to raise a million dollars in the way Sharon Stone did, it's to use the celebrities as hooks to get these business tycoons to take an interest in the issues. It's about networking to change opinions and policies. That was explained in the New York Times article I recommended you read. By comparison, Sharon Stone's approach seems rather unsubtle, basically shaming people into giving relatively small amounts of money. She won't be invited back. Maybe none of these campaigning celebrities will be? That would be a great shame, because the turn away from the 'greed is good' ideology towards social responsibility that Davos has taken this year has the potential to be worth far, far more than $1 million.

I thought Angelina Jolie's remarks were revealing. She feels a need to prove that she's more than just a pretty face, she knows about issues. Sharon Stone is rather different, she's famous for having a high IQ, so she can stand up and do something like that without everyone thinking she's just a flaky Hollywood star. Imagine if Angelina Joliehad done it. Although I think Sharon Stone was probably genuine in her motives, it was one of those occasions when even a bright person does something on the spur of the moment without thinking through the implications.