View Single Post
Old 18-12-2005, 07:51   #27
The Dream is Over, :~(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber
But the core reason why African immigrants do not integrate into European societies is simply because they belong to different civilizations. Black people in the US are not really 'African', they were brought there as slaves and lost their languages and cultures, 'African-Americans' are essentially Americans, they speak English and they share the same basic culture as 'European-Americans', skin color is indeed the main barrier in the US because culturally there's not much difference.
But contrary to the US, African people who immigrate to Europe are true Africans, they speak African languages and have African cultures, North Africans even though they are white clearly belong to the Arab civilization, and black Africans even though they are christian clearly belong to one of the African civilizations, and this is why they can't integrate into the European civilization, it simply doesn't work.
By your reasoning then I can assume that it doesn't work because Europe is inherently intolerant to people of other cultures.
Bold statement I know, but not as bold as the statement you just made that Africans can't integrate because they're just different. France isn't the only country with African immigrants, believe it or not but the US has black people that are immigrants from the Carribean and all parts of Africa, and they are well integrated into their surroundings and are doing just fine. I'm from Eritrea (that is in East Africa) and I am a little more than integrated into Canada, I am straight up Canadian. I have cousins in Australia and they are doing just fine.
Perhaps it is because it just different in Europe, history and culture is just too strong there to really compare to Australia and North America. But then I remember relatives living in the UK and knowing they are doing ok. I am also aware that they had a rocky experience with integration during the 1980s but that they have grown from it.

Africans can, in fact, integrate. We don't have to become slaves and have our language, history, and culture removed from us, or least I hope that isn't what is expected from us. (Slice of advice, don't use slaves as examples of good integration). We can willingly, even enthusiatically, adapt into our new surroundings as long as it is accepting. We are doing it now, we'll do it again.

PS: Thank you KillaQueen, coolasfcuk, and Freddie I have really enjoyed reading about gypsies.
So educational!