View Single Post
Old 26-09-2003, 23:44   #17
no....

Goku, i didn't say that Lyrics Take Away from the song. I said they should ENHANCE the song and not BE the song.

And when people sing A CAPPELLA, it's very great, and actually very hard. One year in chorus we sang all the songs in A cappella, and it's art in itself. That's the instance where the voice is the essential instrument. And in that point, the lyrics still don't matter, the emotional and the melodies and harmonies are important. The lyrics just extenuate the importance of the emotions. They solidify the emotion of the voice and melodies. It can be a wonderful thing.

And just to make myself more clear.
Lyrics aren't bad. I love lyrics, and i love when they work. But what i am talking about is when they LYRICS become more important then their accompianment. when they Lyrics become what the listener focuses on. Or Just a Lryic and a Beat. It's basically a poem, yes.

i'm also speaking about Musical Integrity too.

oh, and i don't listen to a lot of Classical music either, but i appreciate it, and being a classically trained singer and can play the cornet, i know this genre pretty well. [some songs that are sung are considered CLASSICAL, classical doesn't mean that it's a symphony, it mostly means the age it comes from]