View Single Post
Old 24-04-2007, 05:27   #56
The Dream is Over, :~(

Heh, ok I'm going to apologize in advance for sounding condescending but I really need to tell you how to debate properly. There seems to be a pattern with you where you tend to post with such confidence that fails to accurately reflect how much you know of the subject. I'm going to play that up to your debating skills.

If you disagree with somebody (which is awesome) do so but also provide as many references as possible. You can't simply state that "blah, blah, blah, your points are wrong so therefore my point is right" and not provide any arguments or references to refute my point and back yours up. In this case, if you do not agree that racism and slavery are somewhat connected then provide references to how my arguments (posted above if you have actually read them, which I doubt you have) are wrong while proving how your arguments instead are correct. Case in point:
Quote:
Not just black people can be slaves. So your entire case about how they are "closely related" is tossed out.
Try listening (or reading) to earlier posts, there could be something worthwhile in them because pre-African Slave Trade slavery has already been discussed. My "entire" case isn't "tossed out" because you still haven't proven why they aren't related.
Definitions could be the launching pad of your argument, but never the summation.

Another important thing, quite possibly the most important thing to know is to have sufficient knowledge of the topic at hand. Stating that slavery did not exist in the North is only indicative to how ignorant you sound. Yes, slavery existed in the North, this picture is of a slave market in state of Maryland. It just ended a lot earlier than the South. And to mention that the Northern Republicans were as bad as the Democratic Southerners obviously needs explanation from you. Many, if not all, of the abolitionists were Northerners. Sourtherners attempted to reinstate slavery through sharecropping. The Ku Klux Klan were composed of wealthy Southerners who tried to prevent the emancipation of blacks in the South. They were pretty much terrorists killing blacks and Northerners that helped blacks. And they were successful enough to have passed Jim Crow Laws to make sure whites remained dominate in society. Northerners were hypocrites in that the didn't fully practice what they had preached, blacks didn't get the vote, among other things... but they at least were paid and had some rights! Now I would provide reference to all of this, some can be found here, but really look no further than in history of Reconstruction in South, it's all there. I mean, no offense, but this should have been taught to you or something, it's your country's history afterall.

One last thing that could help, when arguing such an unbelieveably complex issue try your best not to sound so glib. Simple, over-generalizing answers to totally difficult issues are not only always wrong, they are downright irritating. So try again. I'll give you hint, the way to totally disprove me is provide references that racism existed before the African Slave Trade.

You can start off with expanding on this:
Quote:
A small majority of "blacks" and "navites" are treated badly, and you know what, it's sad when it happens but yeah, but it's not exactly like they put out a great image of themselves.
WTF?!