View Single Post
Old 24-04-2007, 03:01   #55
Can You See Them Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl View Post
Blacks do not ever protest against slavery, it is usually against racism obviously since there is no slavery in the States nowadays. You're only hearing of any protests now because of the British anniversary of the end of the Slave Trade and that is with British blacks.
Same with the Natives.

To say that racism and slavery are two completely different things is just far too dismissive. You make it sound as if racism existed before slavery, it didn't. Xenophobia did, but not racism. Never did anybody think that a group of people were less human, more animal, than another (savage yes, just not biologically animal-like). That blacks were not given rights, immediately after the Civil War because they weren't socially, mentally, and just innately developed enough, people actually felt that blacks were incapable of absorbing these things. (The Republicans of the North tried at least). Health, education, or any form of recognition of blacks as people, like the vote, were therefore denied completely. Entire institutional systems were set up to implement these beliefs of inequality, particularly with segragation and the Jim Crow Laws.

This was only questioned in the 60s and enacted in the 70s. That is only thirty years ago and guess what? These institutions were not fully reformed. Is it surprising that the same power relations between whites and blacks that existed two hundred years ago, exists today?

PS: If there is anybody treated worse than blacks in the States and South America, it is the Natives.

I think your statements are far to dimissive. If it were such a big concern of yours, you'd refer to them as they are actually supposed to be which is an "African". A small majority of "blacks" and "navites" are treated badly, and you know what, it's sad when it happens but yeah, but it's not exactly like they put out a great image of themselves.

A majority of alcohol and tobacco sales in my state are from Native Americans. They also have the highest rate of being arrested because of their habits when under and not under the influence. My brother is a gas station attendant, and he said that the majority of people who are arrested in the store are of Native or African descent. I've been in the store when a man has walked in with a screw driver throught his mouth because he couldn't pay of drug debt to natives. - Thats not racist. Thats fact. And I've seen it. I'm not saying white people are perfect, because they're not. I'm only saying what I know to be an average here of people responsible for crime.

Racism and Slavery however, are completely differen't and can be identified as such by definition.

Racism: The act of discrimating against a person/establishment based upon race.
Slavery: The act of enslaving another for laborious work.

Not just black people can be slaves. So your entire case about how they are "closely related" is tossed out. Slavery can be set in upon anyone. It's just that it was Africans that it was done to in America.

Quote:
The Republicans of the North tried at least
And no, you're wrong on that. The North was only better in terms of slavery.

Slavery did not exist in the North, but Africans were still not allowed to be educated and were only allowed to have jobs that paid extremely low wages. So how did the North have the right idea in your opinion?