View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 22:19   #11
Martian Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradeel View Post
Take my country and my neighbouring countries: Scandinavian countries have been the biggest neighbour-voters throughout history...
Called smartness! I help you and you help me. Political? Yes, political intelligence.
Quote:
The reason would be that people have similar taste in music in similar countries culturally
The main factor, but not always. Romania, though culturally connected with their neighbours, suffers regularly from 'enemy' votings, their neighbours only rarely give them points.
Quote:
...and now with the east european countries.
There are about 10 to 12 countries, which were former parts of the Soviet Union, with big Russian minorities, who have the possibility to vote for their own country. That was known before countries like Georgia, Armenia, Azerbeidjan, which are not part of Europe, have been accepted in the club. To whine now that the Russians won because of this, that's simply stupid. By the way, if you subtract all the neighbour/region/culture votings, Russia would have won too, and not even narrowly. It proves again and again: if the victory is clear, then neighbour voting didn't play a big role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoff
Or do you think countries like France,Belgium and the Netherlands always give high points to Turkey and Armenia,if the immigrants don't vote for them?
Another important point. Immigrants and guest workers, who have naturally a strong bond to their home country, vote eagerly for their home country, while in the western countries there is big lack of interest because of bad quality songs and competitors and the 'guest voters' therefore are in majority. Competitive acts and proper promotion would considerably reduce the current bias.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoff
...in the final.50% televote and 50% back-up jury will affect the results.
This will finally bring policy into the contest.