View Single Post
Old 28-07-2010, 08:55   #904
Can You See Them Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
This goes some way towards explaining the recent petulant outburst by Yulia. Sort of "If I can't do them, nobody can".

For Lena, though, it makes perfect sense for her to do Tatu songs. Like anyone else who has left a band to go solo, she wants to take some of the old songs with her, to let people know who she is and to help make a decent length set list. Most artists striking out on their own won't have enough of their own songs to begin with, so either have to use songs from their old band, or do covers.

So why not wait until they have enough of their own songs? Because it would mean a long wait before Lena and band could get an album out and get on the road. This might be fine for Yulia, who has turned "keeping the fans waiting" into an art form, but Lena, Renski and the band obviously want to keep the momentum going. Despite what some people have said, they have written and recorded several new songs quite quickly and have started live performances as soon as they had enough songs.

Of course the thing with the Tatu songs, is that Lena is performing some songs that Tatu never did live, so I don't see the problem with that. Mind you, I can see Yulia's annoyance at Lena doing Running Blind, as that was practically a Yulia solo song on the album. In fact I think the only songs Lena does, that were performed by Tatu, are NGGU and ATTSS, and since they are the "big hits" that everyone knows, it would be stupid not to do them.

I have to admit that I find the Tatu fans' attitude of "they can only be performed by both the girls together" ludicrous. Ozzy does old Sabbath songs, Sting does old Police songs, Robert Plant does old Zep songs, Paul Rodgers does old Free songs, Slash does old G'N'R songs. Why should Tatu be any different?
Dot dot dot. No. - The entire point is that Lena is not t.A.T.u., if she wants people to know who she is - the woman needs to get her ass out to more than one gig a month and actually perform quality songs that will get her recognized. In the amount of time they have had, good songs and a lack of them should not be a problem. They should be plenty of music to establish a full on show. And correction - it is Renski that has for the past four years been the entire problem with things being produced and released on time, Yulia plays no part in that aspect of t.A.T.u. | In addition, I don't know where you've come up with "Running Blind" being an almost exclusive Yulia track, considering Lena sang the verses throughout the entire thing. 220, now that's a different story. The fact that NGGU and ATTSS are big hits is exactly why it's stupid to perform them. She's not establishing her own sound, she's establishing herself as a piece of washed up early 2000's pop music. Newsflash: Nobody cares. - And t.A.T.u. is different because all of the bands and artists you've listed below have produced multiple albums of decent or better quality that brings in fans by themselves, the older music is just a treat. In Lena's case it's the entire main course.