View Single Post
Old 19-06-2005, 14:32   #22
Uhaku's alter ego

Send a message via MSN to Uhaku
chapter 13

ShowmeLove, thank u for liking what i have to share. for ya.
Volkster, oh, no no no, Yulia should follow the Irish? U r giving me some strange idea!
Veggie, feel free.

Short note to Mel: Ah, yes, this Yulia (my fifth, excluding gingerbread one)
is without her usual dark side! Just the annoying little brat. U can't imagine how much I'm
glad u hate her! If u like her in this one, I'd be like... DO I HAVE TO MAKE HER BALD OR WHAT?!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>

CHAPTER 13

It was the fourth consecutive day Yulia spent at Tonya’s apartment. She lied idle on the bed,
a burning cigarette between her lips. She lifted her glasses a little, staring up at the ceiling.
Since the argument in the alley, she hadn’t received the apology she expected from Lena.
Roland didn’t show up or gave her any call either. She couldn’t believe the duo had completely ignored her now.

“I told you not to smoke in my bedroom! The balcony! That’s why I have a balcony!” Tonya
screamed at the door, running around between the bathroom and the bedroom, trying on
new garment she bought yesterday. “How do I look?” She spun around in the white dress
with golden collar.

“Put on a little more eyeliner and you could pass as Cleopatra,” Yulia droned, moving through
the glassy, French door into the balcony.

Tonya followed suit. “Cleopatra? Is she a new MGM star?”

“Go on and try another one,” Yulia said. She wasn’t going to give Tonya a history lecture. She
just wanted her friend to get over and done with this frantic change of clothes so they could
go out and have dinner.

“Yulia, please, you needn’t be so sad just because a girl deserted you,” Tonya begged.

“Pardon? We were not together, and will never be! She will never have the chance to desert me!”

“But I have never seen you bothered like this before.”

“She called me a pervert! A piece of shit! Yes, I feel terrible, Tonya!”

Tonya rubbed Yulia’s head. “She was wrong, but that was a week ago—”

“Four days,” Yulia corrected.

“She’s got a bad mouth and bad manners, that’s all. She was jealous like you said. Don’t
waste your time with a clueless, asexual girl. That’s not my Yulia.”

Yulia crossed her arms, shivering in the cold. But she wasn’t about to throw the cigarette
away. “Asexual…? Oh, no. What a pity…” she mumbled.

“If both Mr. Myer and you couldn’t get her excited, nothing in the world will. It’s clear that
she just doesn’t go for humans.”

“She likes Mr. Myer, I can tell. They deserve each other,” Yulia grunted. “Oh, please go
change your clothes now,” she dismissed, annoyed at Tonya’s persistent gaze.

But Tonya wouldn’t move. “Mr. Myer couldn’t have liked you just because of your money. He
seemed like a sincere gentleman, and I think your mother will approve of him.”

“I know he’s not that bad,” Yulia admitted. She just couldn’t find any other reason to reject
the prospect of getting into a serious relationship. She was twenty, and her mother had
started nagging her to consider a suitor. But she didn’t want to get married just yet.

“You cannot expect a rich man with a heart of a gentleman. They do not exist.”

“I’m not looking for a gentleman!”

“A lady? The Irish is the one out of your league! Not only she’s not a lady, she’s a
mobster! And, Yulia, dear, this kind of fun cannot last. All women must get married sooner or
later. Now that you have Mr. Myer right in front of you, you should seize the opportunity.”

“But Lena must have told him how horrible I was to speak of him in such way!”

“I know what a man is like. He’ll turn against his best friend when it concerns his lover. Trust
me. Go to him today and make peace.”

“I won’t apologize! I’m the one who was abused! I was abused by his best friend!”

“Come with me now,” Tonya said, dragging Yulia inside. “We’ll change our clothes, and I’ll
drop you off at his place.”

“But—”

“The decision is final.”

And Yulia knew it. She couldn’t wait to see Mr. Myer again, only she wasn’t sure of the reason.

>>>

It was already six in the evening, and Roland was sitting in the living room, reading some
newspaper to kill time. He had been waiting for a call from Lena for three days now, but
received none. He had dropped by her place, but she hadn’t returned. He was becoming
extra careful and paranoid now. He called up his men to secure his house and Lena’s
apartment. No one was allowed to enter Lena’s room even the landlord.

Throwing the papers down at the floor, Roland got up and paced around. He jumped when
Oliver came through the door.

“Someone’s here to see you, sir. It’s Ms. Volkova, sir.”

Roland paused. He never expected Yulia to show up after what Lena had done that
night. “Show her in,” he eventually said.

After a few moments, Yulia glided through and stopped right behind the couch. She was
wearing a hat and a pair of leather gloves that matched with her white coat. She looked even
more stunning now when he hadn’t seen her for several days.

“H—hello… Hello, Yulia,” Roland stammered.

Yulia took a small card out of her handbag. Roland moved across the room to retrieve the
card. He stood on the other side of the couch, afraid to get too close that he might upset
her again.

“What is this…? A Christmas invitation?” Roland looked up, amusingly happy.

“My father insisted to have you there. We were going to send them by mail, but I happened
to come around here. I meant to drop by only for a minute.” Yulia then turned around.

“Wait! Yulia, wait!” Roland swiftly moved beside her. “I’m sorry for what happened. Lena was
drunk that night, and I had no idea what she was going to see you there—”

“I’m surprised you didn’t have her deliver your apology again,” Yulia said curtly.

“I’ve been really busy these past few days! And even if she’s available, I’d go to you myself!”

“How come I didn’t see you before I rang your doorbell?” Yulia stopped and looked
around. “What’s with all the bodyguards here?”

“Umm—it’s just for precaution.”

“You have just realized how dangerous the life you lead?”

Roland smiled in relief when a smile appeared on her face. “I sent some to Lena’s too, but
she’s away… She’s on a business errand.”

“Are you two busy killing someone again?” Yulia teased.

Roland looked elsewhere. He didn’t know what to say. He was worried sick that Lena might
be the victim this time, and he hadn’t done anything to prevent it.

“What’s going on…?” Yulia asked.

It struck him to sense the concern in her voice. He motioned her to the couch. “Let’s get
your some drink first, and then I’ll explain everything.”

>>>

Oliver had just come out of the living room after he made a cup of coffee for Yulia. He shut
the doors behind him, and the bodyguards stood outside, leaving Roland and his guest some
privacy.

>>>

Sitting on the couch, Yulia stared blankly at Roland. She had her glasses on now and her coat
was hanging near the doorway. Her coffee was left untouched as she listened to him.

“You let her go alone, and it has been three days?” Yulia asked, wide-eyed. She thought she
was screaming at him, but glad she didn’t. It was the last thing she should do as she was
trying to erase the image of the disgusting snob Lena seemed to hold of her.

“Mitch had contacted me. He said he lost track of Lena that night. He has no idea where she
went.”

“Mitch didn’t report that to my father! No wonder I don’t see him around lately,” Yulia
grunted. She believed that Mitch was hoping there was nothing to be reported, that the Irish
would come back safely in no time.

Roland sighed tiredly. “Lena never disappeared without giving me a word except that one
time… She was gone for two weeks right before Mason’s murder.”

“Do you think she’s doing it again? It could be Frederick’s request.”

Roland shook his head, and Yulia was somehow disappointed. It was better if Lena was the
killer, not the victim. Although she was somewhat related to Frederick Young, their families
had grown distant in the past ten years or so. She couldn’t remember the last time she met
him.

“Lena hadn’t done it again since Mason and, from what I know, she didn’t plan to. She was
being more careful when to use her gun now… Sometimes I still couldn’t believe she was
really the Irish. To me, she isn’t…” Roland stood up and washed down his bourbon. “We are
just two poor kids in the street, who just got real lucky. Things turned upside down in just a
matter of days. We don’t know how we handled it.”

Yulia kept her gaze down. Roland had just confessed that he was actually a kid from some
foster home like Lena. She admired his courage, but the honesty hit her as it made her feel
like the Irish was already history.

“I think you handled it just fine. Look at you now,” Yulia said, dryly smiling.

Although Roland looked refined and sophisticated as if he was born with this fortune, Lena
remained untouched by it. It was probably this graceless outer shell, in spite of being the
notorious Irish, which marveled Yulia. She would have expected to celebrate the Irish’s doom
after the insult thrown at her, but mustering a small smile was a difficult task right now.

“I’m surprised you showed up today. You forgave how silly we were, and came to give me
the invitation card yourself. I’ll definitely go. I won’t miss it for the world.”

Yulia paused at his genuine smile. From what Tonya had gathered from her sources of gossips,
Roland must have some feelings for Lena years ago. She finally saw through her ego and
found that it wasn’t Lena who threatened her, but this handsome, young man instead. She
was just like the rest of the underworld that schemed to win the Irish’s approval. It amazed
her that a legend sometimes meant more than reality. Lena was, in fact, just another girl from
a poor neighborhood who rose to fame by chance. Nothing more.

“I’m just relieved that you didn’t shut the door in my face after you—after you knew how I
spoke of you,” Yulia mumbled.

Roland looked down briefly. “You grew up with everything you’ll ever need, and I should think
you have the right to be a snob… hopefully just the right amount.”

They chortled. But Yulia still sat with her fingers curling up the hem of her skirt.

“I know I overreacted that night,” she muttered.

“I’m Lena’s friend, but I still think what she said to you was uncalled for.”

“Not enough to make me slap her.”

From the empty look on his face, she realized that Lena didn’t tell him this bit of information.
Oh. My. God. She sprung up from the couch.

“I definitely didn’t mean to—I—I was not drunk, but…”

Roland shook his head, frowning. “I know her. She didn’t tell me because she thought she
deserved it.”

“No, she didn’t! I was being a—a—a”

“A bitch, absolutely,” Roland stated clearly.

Yulia felt a pang of guilt hitting her in the face.

“But let’s pray you’ll have the chance to say sorry to her in person soon,” Roland said and smiled.

Yulia became a bit relieved. The wait was a tough one for Roland, and he seemed to need
someone to console him now. She moved closer and embraced him.

“I’d love to have you here a little longer, but considering the circumstances, you better go
home. I don’t want anything to happen to you. Did you have your bodyguards coming with you?”

Yulia shook her head, letting go off him. Tonya dropped her off and had gone for a dinner
with some friends already.

“I’ll send somebody with you, and be careful. Young might try to trick your father, and you
could be his target.”

>>>

A few moments later, Yulia left Roland’s place with two, armed men riding in the car with her.
For a while, she sat, deep in thoughts. She then tapped on the driver’s shoulder.

“Could you please stop by Lena’s apartment? I just need to drop something for her.”

“Do you mean Ms. Cohen’s place, Ma’am?”

“Umm—yes…”

Yulia realized that she never cared to find out Lena’s last name. Sadly, The Irish was all
that mattered, whereas Lena Cohen was nothing.

When the car parked in front of the building, Yulia got off the car with a man following her.
They walked three stairs up and met with another four bodyguards Roland hired to watch
Lena’s room. Reluctantly, Yulia opened her handbag and took a card out. She slipped it under
the door, praying that Lena would come back in time to see it. It was the only Christmas wish
Yulia had this year.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Irina Slutskaya
the champion of my heart
I salute you!

I know it's not the correct order of the colors of the Russian flag, but I want Irina in blue anyway. Yeehaw!