View Single Post
Old 03-11-2006, 19:30   #8
iMod

Personally i don't think this study is bullshit.

I live in a coastal region and my parents have seen local species disappear in their lifetime. I grew up in the port of Cherbourg and fishing used to be an important activity there, but in the 70's, fishing areas that had been providing fish for centuries became empty from over-fishing and the the activity collapsed.
I remember when i was a kid, there was a running joke that if you went to a fish shop in the morning, they would tell you they didn't have any fish because the train from Paris hadn't arrived yet. Of course it wasn't exactly true, firstly because fish arrived by trucks from Paris, but it was meant to say that in the old days you would find all kinds of fish in shops early in the morning as soon as fishing boats would be back in the port, wheras now you have to wait for the delivery from Paris to arrive.

There are many areas in the world where fish have already disappeared, and they're not coming back, even decades after fishing has stopped, so something is definitely wrong.
Today we have ultramodern fishing boats with satellite tracking of fish stocks, they have giant nets that catch everything (whether we eat it or not) in several cubic kms of water at once leaving absolutely nothing alive behind them (what modern fishing boats do is the equivalent of destroying an entire forest and everything that lives in it just because you wanna catch a few boars), and yet they catch less fish than the traditional boats of last centuy… This should tell us something.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]