Thread: Avatar Tutorial
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 22:25   #1
pie crust

Cool Avatar Tutorial

wojo134 kindly asked me if I could create a tutorial on how I made my current avatar (this one), so I thought "Of course!" and decided to put it here also, so that anyone can be inspired to do something like this or similar.

Note: There is a problem; I wasn't sure exactly what settings I use so the outcome turned out a bit different, I'm really sorry for that. Also, I might have messed up along the way, really badly, in that case, I'm sorry.

Program used: Adobe Photoshop CS2.
Difficulty: Moderate? You should know what layers are and the basics of dealing with Photoshop, but I tried to make the tutorial as detailed as possible.

Okay, let's start!

Step 1: Find your picture! I chose this awesome picture of Tatu. You can choose any picture you like, duh. Just keep in mind that the outcome will be different for different pictures depending on the colors.

Step 2: Crop, re-size, etc. to fit in a 100 x 100 pixel image. I usually make a new image of that size, then I drag the photo into the little square, and later re-size it. But it's really up to you. I hope you know how to do this, lol. Otherwise just ask! This is what it should look like. You can of course decide to just have Yulia's face, or whatever.

Step 3: I duplicate this layer twice by going to Layer > Duplicate Layer. For some reason it didn't allow me to take a screenshot of this. If you can't see your layers palette, go to Window > Layers.

Step 4: I choose the first duplicate and change the layer style to Screen 100%.

Step 5: I then choose the second duplicate and change the layer style to Soft Light 100%.

Are you with me so far? That's not too bad, is it?

Step 6: I go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Selective Color. I type in these settings.

Reds
Cyan -100
Magenta +10
Yellow +60

Then, without closing the window, I choose Yellows from the scroll-down menu. I marked this in red so that it would be easier to get what I mean. I then proceed to type in these settings (as shown in the pic).

Yellows (this is what we just changed to, get it?)
Cyan +100
Magenta -10
Yellow -30

I click on the scroll-down menu again and choose neutrals this time. Like the picture tells us, I chose these settings:

Neutrals
Cyan +85
Magenta -10
Yellow -60

Yay, we are so awesome, aren't we?
This is what the avatar looks like so far. Nice, but not nice enough!

Step 7: Now it's time to create a new layer. If you look at your layer palette, this is what it should look like. I also drew a smiley and a pointer on where you should click to create a new layer. I'm so nice.

Awesome, now we have a new layer. You can name these layers stuff, but mine is just called Layer 2.

Step 8: Now it's time to whip out the Paint Bucket! I circled it in with red so you know which one it is.

Step 9: This might be tricky, because I made it look tricky. In real life, it's easy-peasy. After choosing the paint bucket, I double click on the colored-in square. A window then pops up. Yes, this is the window on the picture. What we do then, is, we type in the code for the color, in the little box. As you can see, it is 2497e1.

Step 10: Fill in the layer with the paint bucket tool after selecting this color. Just click anywhere on the photo, making sure that your new layer is selected (It should be.)

Ouch, this is what our avatar looks like now! Not too good. I mean, you can't even see our girls. Just a whole lot of blue.

Step 11: BUT! We change this. And this is how. I go to my layers palette, make sure that the blue layer is selected, and change the settings to Soft light, 50%.

I admire my almost-finished avatar. We've come a long way now. I make some tea and put on some lipbalm.

Step 12: I create yet another layer.

And with the same technique, I fill it in. This time I fill it in with the color e1aca9. As you can see, I have also changed the layer settings to Multiply, 50%. You should know how to fill it in etc., because I just taught you how! And I hope you were paying attention.

Now it should look something like this. Now that is just too hot for the universe.

But it will get even hotter!

Step 13: Again, a new layer. I fill it in with cfc4e1 and change the layer style to Color Burn, 50%.

Okay, almost done! Time to flatten the image! This is how we do it...

Step 14: In our layers palette, there is a tiny button. This is the button. Once you press that, you get a menu. From this menu, choose "Flatten image". I couldn't get a screenshot of this, because Photoshop doesn't like me.

Yay! Now our layers are packed together, and our image is ^~*CoMpLeTe*~^

This is what it looks like! BREATHTAKING. But it's a bit blurry!

Step 15: In order to Sharpen it, I go to Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen. Ouch, it's *too* sharp now, so let's move over to Edit > Fade Sharpen! I used these settings (20%).

TADAAA... our avatar is done!

If there is anything you don't understand, don't be afraid to ask! I'll try my best to help.
Have fun making those avatars!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]