View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 10:03   #98
Участник

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
I wasn't quite sure where to put this but here goes ... the article mentions the Moscow Gay Pride March and Alexey Mitrofanov. Have a look at the site it comes from too, there is some interesting stuff about the March.

Russian State Duma Deputy: “Gay Parade in Moscow Should Be Authorized”

Alexey Mitrofanov warns Russian deputies they might be denied access to European countries ...

Russian State Duma deputy representing Liberal Democratic party and deputy head of the Duma Committee on constitutional legislation Alexey Mitrofanov said on Friday that Moscow authorities should allow the public actions of sexual minorities planned for the end of May because their banning will lead to very negative consequences for Russia as a country.

Alexey Mitrofanov said during morning debates in the Duma that “As became known to me, a notification for the conduct of the manifestation in support for tolerance towards sexual minorities will be filed shortly”.

He stressed that at the level of emotions one can have various attitudes towards “these groups of our electors” but my personal attitude to them is “polite and balanced”.

Alexey Mitrofanov suggested that “there are no reasons to ban such manifestations – we must acknowledge that”.

Liberal democrat deputy is convinced that in case Moscow authorities ban such manifestation it will provoke very negative reaction in the West. He said: “And we will lose all Strasbourg cases on this issue and then we will be surprised that some persons or deputies will not get entry visas to the European countries”.

Organizer of Moscow Gay Pride Nikolai Alekseev welcomed the statement of deputy Mitrofanov calling it “a very brave political step”. He stressed that “unfortunately we very rarely hear such balanced and politically responsible statements concerning homosexual people from Russian politicians. Today’s statement of Alexey Mitrofanov is a statement of the politician who is looking into the future and who sees Russia as a democratic and free state where the rights of all citizens irrespective of personal characteristics are respected”.

Nikolai Alekseev added that “Alexey Mitrofanov knows very well that LGBT community is a big electoral resource which has not be used by any political power in our country. I want to believe that the time has come when the situation will start to change and the views of gays and lesbians who are equal citizens of Russia will finally be heard in the political process”.

Organizer of Moscow Pride invited Alexey Mitrofanov to take part in the forthcoming conference as part of Gay Pride in any suitable position, as a participant or as an observer.

Press conference dedicated to the second Moscow Pride coinciding with the official application to Moscow Mayor will take place in Russia’s capital on 15 May.

Source - http://www.gayrussia.ru/en/news/detail.php?ID=9152
Mitrofanov is so non-typical for the LDPR. Kudos to him.