View Single Post
Old 27-02-2004, 20:18   #229
Don't dream it, be it!

The interview that actually comes to mind in suggesting that Yulia was pretty perceptive in her reading of situations was the Jimmy Kimmel one (I think). Basically, they came on, Don King, Vince Vaughn and Monica Belllucci were already there (all of whom are quite big stars) and it was pretty clear straight away that Kimmel was trying to ridicule them, he made no allowances for the fact that Lena's English was not perfect, and she seemed to get a bit flustered and upset. He also made it pretty clear that the only reason they were on was to provide a bit of cheap girl-on-girl action for the boys to leer at. Well, just before Tatu went on to perform you could see that Yulia and Lena were deep in discussion, Lena still looking a bit upset, Yulia very calm and reassuring. And it was clear that she was telling Lena that when they kissed during the instrumental break in the song, she would cover their faces with her hand, so the audience wouldn't see....which is precisely what she went on to do. I think that was a pretty smart reaction to the situation and I'm pretty sure she wasn't directed to do that by anybody else. I also think you're underestimating how quick off the mark Yulia has been sometimes in responding to interviewers with some witticism or one-liner (particularly in the Russian interviews) and I don't think those have been pre-planned at all.