View Single Post
Old 13-10-2004, 23:19   #37
I don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku
As is every nation. They are no different from everyone else, who eat propaganda and are lied to every day.
Well I couldn't disagree more. Maybe you can speak for your country, but not for every nation.
Want an example? Our prime-minister here in Portugal has been suspected to pressure a very popular political analyst who was mysteriously fired from a TV station. In response to this scandal and huge drop in (what was left of) his popularity, the prime-minister came on TV to say he is going to lower taxes, raise retirement wages and raise public workers. More than 85% of our nation is against him and consider these statements pure propaganda, there are protests everywhere. Because we know our finances will not allow those raises and he will only do that to hide the rotten side of his ruling here. And NO I am not speaking for myself or for my circle of friends, I am talking about an attitude which corresponds the huge majority of people in Portugal right now. So even with such propaganda and raises, people know this man is being a hypocrite and people are demanding for the President of the Republic to set new elections asap. My nation is not manipulated by politics' propaganda.
Want another example? Spain. The 11th March scandal. The PP government blamed ETA for the bombings in Madrid, manipulated TVE (the public broadcasting network) so it would just show reports of how ETA was to blame and not Al-Qaeda, but the people knew something was very strange and badly explained, everybody knew ETA wouldn't operate like that. It was Al-Qaeda, and the spanish government wanted to ignore this, because it meant that Spain was turned into a target of international terrorist by having supported Bush in the war against Iraq, and this few days away from elections would mean a loss for PP, so did they everything they could to manipulate TVE and many newspapers even. It didn't work, the people got united in protest, and after being caught they admitted there was evidence of Al-Qaeda after all and of course lost the elections. Nobody needed to make movies and write books for them to realize their government was lying to them and not explaining what it should explain, they just thought and came to that OBVIOUS conclusion, giving PSOE [the opposite party] its best result in spanish history, in a clear sign of disapproval for the lies of the PP admnistration.
And I have no doubt that our portuguese prime minister will have the same fate, because the ones who take the privileges they have to manipulate the media to serve their propaganda are punished by the people who always have their eyes open.
So don't tell me every nation is manipulated by its leaders and their propaganda. Speak for your country [whatever country it is], don't speak for every nation. It is very unpolite and unconsiderate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku
There is a line though, and as a moderator I need to decide when someone crosses that line and if it needs to be corrected.
I have already made an official complaint about your little 'decision', we will see if it is right for a moderator to insult an user just because he couldn't interpretate the message in the right way. Cause if it is, then moderators lose all credibility and we all might as well insult everyone just out of the blue everytime we think something is not right or our opinions don't match. If you think me having a different opinion from you is 'crossing the line' and you feel the need to insult me, no wonder it doesn't bother you that Americans plan to vote for such an intolerant man named George W Bush.