View Single Post
Old 20-01-2005, 00:09   #23
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasfcuk
I will ignore the Macedonia discussion for now, no time, but yes, its such a delicate subject ... and of course today's Macedonia and ... Alexander's 'Macedonia' are not the same thing, but it is not as simple as black and white either ... anyways

hmmm, but freds, how would this work ... in the 400-500 AC there were ancient tribes that lived in the region which is now bulgaria ... around the danube and the Balkan mountains ... the Thracians (Spartacus being part of that tribe). Romania isnt that far off, so say there was another tribe in the region of today's romania ... how come the Slavs, who came in enourmous numbers, took over the wholeeeeeeeeee region from Russia down to south bulgaria, to Serbia, and all the way to where you are, but miss Romania? Because, the Slavs that mixed with the Thracians, and the proto Bulgarians (who also came from the East) and made up bulgaria... overpowered culturally, because there were so many of them. And if this tribe that was living in Romania's lands at the time, were so strong and powerful, why werent they opposing the Greeks to create their own country? like did the protoBulgarians/Thracians/BG Slavs in 681, before anybody else in the region?
baaaaaaaah, I now desparately need to refresh my history knowledge on THAT part of the balkans .... unless a romanian shows up faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast and speak! hihi

You mean oppose the Romans to create their own country, not the Greeks. The Greeks did not play any part in the region. Was Romania part of the Byzantine empire or did they exist independently? According to wikipedia, there were different tribes and eventually 3 different territories, some under the Roman empire and some under Bulgarian influence as well. I wonder if those were connected in any way.

Quote:
The tribal confederation of the Getae were encountered by Darius in his campaign in the Balkans in 531 BC. The Dacians were defeated by the Roman Empire under Emperor Trajan in two campaigns stretching from 101 to 107, and the core of their kingdom became the Roman province Dacia. The Gothic and Carpic campaigns in the Balkans during 231 - 275 forced the Roman Empire to reorganise a new roman province of Dacia south of Danube, the ancient Dacia becoming the kingdom of the Goths until the end of the fourth century when it was included in the Hunnic Empire. The Gepids and the Avars ruled Transylvania until eighth century, thence the Bulgars included Romania in their Empire until 1000. The Pechenegs, the Cumans and Uzes were also mentioned by historic chronicles on the teritory of Romania until the founding of the valachian principalities of Wallachia by Basarab, and Moldavia by Dragos during the 14th century.

In the Middle Ages, Romanians lived in three distinct principalities: Wallachia, Moldavia (also Moldova) and Transylvania.

Wallachia and Moldavia came under the suzeranity of the Ottoman Empire in 15th and 16th century respectively, with internal autonomy, and brief periods of independence, Moldova losing its eastern side Bessarabia to the Russian Empire in 1812, its northern part Bukovina to the Austrian Empire in 1775 and its south-eastern part Bugeac to the Ottoman Empire

Transylvania came under Hungary's control by 12th century (since 1300 Hungary and Transylvania became possesions of House of Anjou, of Habsburg, and of Holy Roman Empire), becoming a Principality under the suzerainty of the Ottoman Empire in 1526, following the Battle of Mohacs. At the end of the 18th century, Austrian Empire (since 1867 Austria-Hungary) included Transylvania inside its borders.

The modern Romania was born when the principalities of Moldavia and Wallachia merged in 1859, and independence was ratified by the Great Powers in 1877. Following the WW I and the disintegration of the Russian Empire and Austro-Hungary, and the rise of Bolshevism in Hungary and Russia, Transylvania and Bessarabia opted for a Union with the Romanian Kingdom in 1918.