View Single Post
Old 05-12-2003, 23:20   #236
what can I say...

Chapter 20 part 4

Lena looked around the room trying to spot Yulia but it was difficult to see anything with the crowd of people waiting to congratulate her and Roman forming a solid wall around them. Eventually when she stood on her tip toes she could just about see Yulia sat at a table with Tanya seemingly deep in conversation. She felt a stab of jealousy penetrate her heart; Yulia really didn’t need her now.

As she was pondering that thought she was quickly brought out of her reverie by someone tapping her on the shoulder, it was her neighbour Dominik. “Congratulations Lena”

Happy to see a friendly face Lena relaxed slightly, Dominik was such a nice guy she was glad he had been invited to the party especially as she barely had time for most of the people there. “Thanks Dominik”

“So did you enjoy New York, I got the message from Roman saying your party was cancelled, would imagine it was a damn sight better than having us all jumping out at you shouting surprise!” Dominik said jokily.

“Party?” Lena scowled in confusion. “What party?”

“Oh you don’t know? Yulia was having a party for you” Dominik explained. “It was all very hush hush.” He said exaggeratingly putting a finger to his lips in mock silence.

“Really? This is all news to me” She looked around to where Roman was chatting with another guest looking as handsome and charming as ever. Why hadn’t he told her about the party, he obviously knew about it, so why?

“Didn’t Roman tell you?” Dominik asked wide-eyed, his surprise clearly evident.

“No, I guess it must have slipped his mind” Lena said softly uncertain what to make of Roman’s apparent absentmindedness.

“Yeah I guess so, you know what us guys are like, that’s why we all need good women behind us to sort us out” Dominik smirked trying to raise a smile out of Lena.

“Yeah you’re all bloody useless that’s for sure!” Lena smiled back.

“Anyway I’ll leave you to it, I can see the rabble are getting slightly disgruntled!”

“Yeah you’re not wrong” Lena laughed as she surveyed the masses waiting impatiently to take a look at her ring. She was on display and she wasn’t enjoying it, all she wanted to do was to go home and put her feet up but she had no choice she would have to grin and bear it. It didn’t really matter though because at least Yulia hadn’t forgotten about her she couldn’t help but smile to herself as she waved at Dominik as he headed back to his table

Then before the onslaught continued she looked back to where she had seen Yulia sitting with Tanya just a few minutes ago. Gone. Had they left already? Lena was disappointed, the party would have been slightly more bearable if she had been able to talk to Yulia at some point but now she would have to spend the majority of the evening making polite conversation with people she barely knew. However she was contented knowing that Yulia still cared about her after all. It was the happiest she had felt for weeks….