View Single Post
Old 17-11-2003, 14:33   #24
iMod

Quote:
Not that I condone homophobia, but I find it very ironic how, we (I assume), as open-minded people, are intolerant of something.

Of course, homophobia (racism and chauvinism) infringe upon human rights, so a little bit of hypocrisy towards that type of freedom of speech is not surprising.
It was the first reply to my post, but i decided to take my time to reply because it is indeed a complex matter and i wanted to be as short as possible.

Am i an hypocrite when i say that some comments are unacceptable when in the same time i present myself as tolerant? Anyone is free to think so.

I never said that homophobes, racists, and chauvinists have no rights.

The skinheads who beat up a gay person to death have rights. The persons who blew up two synagogs in Istanbul have rights. Does that mean we have to let them express their "views"? Certainly not.

Verbal abuse may not be as lethal as baseball bats or bombs, but it hurts, it hurts a lot, no matter how politely the abuse was put. No one deserves to be abused in any way, and that's why i repeat that homophobic, racist, or chauvinist comments can't be tolerated.

I don't see that as hypocrisy.

I do not believe in absolute freedom of speech. (There is no such thing in Europe anyway) Freedom of speech can't infringe upon human rights. Freedom of speech stops where the right of other people to exist starts.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]

Last edited by haku; 17-11-2003 at 14:44.