View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 02:55   #6

Send a message via AIM to ypsidan04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Cream
I remember having a crush on my sister's friend...you don't even usually know what "homosexual" means when you are 5, so I certainly didn't choose then!
That's just....wow!

1. People are definitely born gay or not gay. Those people (I know 2 very well) who used to be in a heterosexual relationship, or even married, were just trying to conform to societal norms, and/or not wanting to admit to themselves that they were gay.

2. "Environment" has nothing to do with it. Trust me. It's rare that I go a day of my life without interacting with someone who is gay. I'm not gay and don't plan on starting anytime soon. Being gay is not contagious. Conservatives keep blocking gay couples from adopting because of any of the following reasons:

- They think that living with gay parents will increase the chances that the child will grow up to be gay.

- They think that a child needs a male figure and a female figure to grow up "right".

- They think that the child will be persecuted at school.

The second one has no scientific backing, and the third is not worth saying "No" to the hopeful parents. The chances of a kid really getting messed with are growing smaller by the week, among other reasons. The main reason used is the first one, which has no scientific backing, and my personal experience dicatates that there is no correlation whatsoever. Since as far as I'm concerned, people are born with one or another sexual orientation, if the kid is born gay and is then adopted by a gay couple, it's not the parents' fault that the kid will grow up to be gay. Conversely, a straight child adopted by gay parents will not "jump the fence".

How come 90% of these conservative excuses for inequality have no scientific backing, and are really just hear-say, but they still carry so much power?