View Single Post
Old 16-06-2006, 15:14   #9
My Waking Hour

I don't see your point either freddie. What are they supposed to do, revel in the darkest era of their history? Pretend they are "ok" with it? discuss it in what level, these things happened 60-70 years ago, the new-generations of Germans are as relevant as we are with them ( only that they carry the guilt of their forefathers. )
I've known a few Germans, and yes, the subject of the Nazi and the Holocaust is an ambarassing topic for them but I havn't sensed complete aversion. You should try to approach the topic in a carefree way, if possible. Yes, they'd rather avoid discussing it if they could and I would do the same if I were a younger generation German.
I don't think we can compare the Soviets and the Japanese regimes to the Nazis. Despite the former's evidented crimes against their own people, the crimes of the Nazi are way beyond them in terms of intensity, calculation and inhumanity.

And yes, of course the bombing of Germany by the Allied Forces was in retribution of the Nazi crimes and a lesser war crime in itself, so I agree with haku there.

What about the film "Der Untertang"? It was done by Germans and they were accussed of glorifying Hitler. So anything the Germans may say or do about it could also be taken in the same sympathising way.

Last edited by spyretto; 16-06-2006 at 15:29.